Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse Preorder & Trailer! - The Penal Zone lands April 15

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Derwin wrote: »
    Just pre-ordered, but I am disappointed by one thing.

All the episodes already have a name. I miss the names being revealed just before the release of the next episode, but this is a small issue.

On the bright side, it's another excuse to endlessly speculate about what's going to happen throughout the season! How could we pass up more opportunities for that? (Why hello there, "They Stole Max's Brain!" Can't wait to meet your acquaintance!)
  • edited March 2010
    Intro to Episode 1 is up on Gamespot http://gdc.gamespot.com/video/6253461/
  • ShauntronShauntron Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Derwin wrote: »
    Just pre-ordered, but I am disappointed by one thing.

All the episodes already have a name. I miss the names being revealed just before the release of the next episode, but this is a small issue.

I might be wrong but I think we started naming episodes in advance to make the episodic nature of our games less abstract for new customers. Episodic gaming is still new to lots of people :)
  • edited March 2010
    What is this "episode" you speak of?
  • edited March 2010
    the toy shop owner was behind the evil plot all along!

pity they didn't mention Wallace and Gromit in the "from the makers of..." segment.
  • edited March 2010
    Yesh! Okay, here's a weird thing to be excited by, but I love the 70's TTG logo you guys created for the trailer :D Turning sideways with the cheesy shine effect and then the chunky, block capitals, so perfect.
  • edited March 2010
    I also loved the logo. TT always do a good job with their presentation and logos :D
  • edited March 2010
    It was indeed glorious. I'm disappointed by the lack of cat, though.
  • edited March 2010
    Heeheeheehee, you said "penal". *Cough* I mean, uhh. The trailer blew my mind, and the screenshots look SO GOOD. Ordering this right now!

Also, I laughed heartily at "The Tomb of Sammun-Mak".
  • edited March 2010
    WOW!! I guess LucasArts was really generious to you guys, because your lighting system in that trailer alone looks as beautiful as it did in Monkey Island! :eek:

And the environments look just as gridty as the comics!!:eek::eek:

I'm so pre-ordering this, because this just looks like it's going to be so much fun!
  • edited March 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Yesh! Okay, here's a weird thing to be excited by, but I love the 70's TTG logo you guys created for the trailer :D Turning sideways with the cheesy shine effect and then the chunky, block capitals, so perfect.

Yeah that logo was genius! :D
  • edited March 2010
    Intro to Episode 1 is up on Gamespot http://gdc.gamespot.com/video/6253461/

Wow, talk about breaking the 4th wall down! Now I'm really excited!! Now I just hope my six-year-old computer can handle the graphics, because that intro alone looked like it will give my graphics card a work out.
  • edited March 2010
    I'm curious how well TTG have handled the PS3? Is the game in 1080p or only 720p? Any AA? Did you guys get any help from Sony/Second Party Devs? Is the PS3 as scary as Valve make out? And are there any plans to release older TTG on the PS3?
  • edited March 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    If you look really closely, the logo screen jitters just a bit, as if you're really watching an old movie or rerun.

Now that level of detail is amazing.
  • edited March 2010
    Wapcaplet wrote: »
    If you look really closely, the logo screen jitters just a bit, as if you're really watching an old movie or rerun.

Now that level of detail is amazing.

I'm sorry, but I didn't see this at all. I was too distracted by the changing prop on the dresser in the background.

EDIT: Judging from the PS3 gameplay video, I guess my computer can handle it, but I'm still a little worried about how graphics heavy the game may be on my poor little system. Oh well, I'm sure there will be a graphic set up similar to Season 2 to help me out some.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Zeek wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I didn't see this at all. I was too distracted by the changing prop on the dresser in the background.

EDIT: Judging from the PS3 gameplay video, I guess my computer can handle it, but I'm still a little worried about how graphics heavy the game may be on my poor little system. Oh well, I'm sure there will be a graphic set up similar to Season 2 to help me out some.

You can turn off most of the fancy parts (shadows, glow and blur, etc) and get it close to a Season Two level of technical requirements, though even by default I think it's a twinge more demanding. And nicer looking.
  • edited March 2010
    The rendering is beautiful; in the video you can see the fabrics of Sam's suit.

Stinky, Flint Paper, Harry Moleman and ... Brady Culture?!
  • edited March 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    You can turn off most of the fancy parts (shadows, glow and blur, etc) and get it close to a Season Two level of technical requirements, though even by default I think it's a twinge more demanding. And nicer looking.

So I'm guessing it would be safe to expect requirements/demand to be fairly similar to ToMI?

Have to agree, everything looks fantastic. In fact, I think it even surpasses what was accomplished with ToMI.

I just don't want my laptop to explode on attempting to load it. :D
  • edited March 2010
    demo looks very different from what Im already used to. But I entirely welcome the change, just hoping its a good change. I love the updated graphics, been wanting this for a while now. Got tired of TT catering to people with ancient graphic cards. It doesn't look very demanding anyway.
  • edited March 2010
    Also, I laughed heartily at "The Tomb of Sammun-Mak".

Ditto. I wonder if that's an Ancient Egyptian Pharoah.
    Randulf wrote: »
    Brady Culture?!

Where?
  • edited March 2010

I'll wait to see how the opening cut scene animates on my computer before I mess with the settings. That's what I've been doing with the past titles, and it's helped me figure out where to put certain settings to help performance.

Although, I am expecting to turn off shadows, which does make me a little upset given how nice the lighting engine looks now. Oh well, like I said, we shall see when the game releases.
    Marty wrote: »
    demo looks very different from what Im already used to. But I entirely welcome the change, just hoping its a good change. I love the updated graphics, been wanting this for a while now. Got tired of TT catering to people with ancient graphic cards. It doesn't look very demanding anyway.

It's not my fault I can't afford a new graphics card that is compatible with my obsolete motherboard. I mean, I have student loans to pay...:(
  • edited March 2010
    Brady Culture: On the banner above, just right to the skunk'ape, the shadow with a big 'fro.
  • edited March 2010
    Although, I am expecting to turn off shadows, which does make me a little upset given how nice the lighting engine looks now.

Yeah, me too, which set-off a chain reaction involving me getting a brand new PC. It occurred to me that there's a few upcoming games I'd really love to play, and that I'd love to play them in all their glory.

It's not my fault I can't afford a new graphics card that is compatible with my obsolete motherboard. I mean, I have student loans to pay...:(

*pats* I've been saving for years. Good luck! Though maybe a second-hand thingamabob would be good?
  • edited March 2010
    If by "obsolete" you mean AGP, there are a few ATI-based cards in the 3450/3650 and 4650/4670 series that have AGP connectors. I imagine they would handle the game perfectly well. You need to check if your power supply is strong enough to power them, though.
  • edited March 2010
    On the Devil's Playhouse page, click on the newspaper on the floor to see this

newspaper.jpg

Can't seems to find any other hidden spots though.
  • edited March 2010
    I wonder if skunkape is the master villian? who do you suppose the mysterious man is?
  • edited March 2010
    A) I'm lovin' the Maxified Statue of Liberty.

B) Smell the Mystery SMELL IT! :D
  • edited March 2010
    For that day to finally arrive, I'm so happy now just to be alive 'cause any minute now it's gonna be outside. Well, I hope they open soon.

But my computer's still gonna be able to withstand the graphics, right?
  • edited March 2010
    Wapcaplet wrote: »

rhinoplasty.......... awesome!
  • edited March 2010
    Hey, Sammun-Mak reversed is ... Mac Sammun! Wow. I totally didn't get that joke until just now ... well played, Mr. Purcell, well played indeed.
  • edited March 2010
    GUYS.

The body of the newspaper has real text in it. Starts with Sam and Max Save the World!, and it starts referring to the reader at some point. I can't make out of most of the thing. It also talks a lot about adventure games.
  • edited March 2010
    "Is The Devil's Playhouse different than Telltale's earlier Sam & Max games?"

"Yes. It's an entirely new story that pits the crime-fighting duo against mysterious and dangerous forces."

Heh, when are they NOT doing that? I mean, they do that during trips to the supermarket, don't they?
  • edited March 2010
    I...I....Honestly can't wait.
  • edited March 2010
    Oh, and I was looking through the screenshots, and I noticed something:

sm301_sam_and_max.jpg

Whoa!! Sam puts his hands in his pockets!! IN 3D GRAPHICS!! Now THAT'S advanced.
  • edited March 2010
    You know what I love? The sky's a little green at the edges. Just a touch of smog for that extra bit of authenticity.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    GUYS.

The body of the newspaper has real text in it. Starts with Sam and Max Save the World!, and it starts referring to the reader at some point. I can't make out of most of the thing. It also talks a lot about adventure games.

Spoiler: It's "the plight of the adventure game bum" by Brendan Q Ferguson, with some Sam & Max related text at the beginning to throw people off the scent.
  • edited March 2010
    Spoiler: It's "the plight of the adventure game bum" by Brendan Q Ferguson, with some Sam & Max related text at the beginning to throw people off the scent.
    So, as usual, small text is not meant to actually be read. :D
  • edited March 2010
    HEY. Wait a minute! Maybe I missed it, but what about a season collector's DVD? Why is it not mentioned in the preorder deal? Will there be one?

And why is the PSN-Version cheaper? The free episode for PC gamers is worthless for any longtime telltale supporter like me. I do own every single game in your catalogue, some even more than once (except Texas Hold'em, which I don't care about). Like with TMI, we get screwed. If there was at least the promise of a collectors DVD, then the 5USD more would be justified....

I'm disappointed right now. No preorder from me (an I've preordered every other telltale season before)
  • edited March 2010
    axelkothe wrote: »
    HEY. Wait a minute! Maybe I missed it, but what about a season collector's DVD? Why is it not mentioned in the preorder deal? Will there be one?
    It's mentioned in the FAQ.
This discussion has been closed.