Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse Preorder & Trailer! - The Penal Zone lands April 15

Comments

• edited March 2010
    JusSonic wrote: »
    I just able to pre-order the season itself. I got a question about the code that is used to get a free Telltale game episode. What certain games is the code good for?
    So says the web page: "Any prior Sam & Max, Strong Bad, Wallace & Gromit, Bone or Telltale Texas Hold'em game"

Basically, any episode from any series except Tales of Monkey Island.
  • edited March 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    I have a 9400M in my MacBook and it runs Tales of MI great, so it should be able to play Devils Playhouse well enough too. Not sure if it will run with everything set to the ultimate top setting, but you should be able to play it no problem.

Great to hear, thanks!
  • edited March 2010
    Wapcaplet wrote: »
    Basically, any episode from any series except Tales of Monkey Island.

Not really. I use it mine with Siege of Spinner Cay and worked.

Don't tell anyone =P
  • edited March 2010
    Will a pre-order still count if it's in May?
  • edited March 2010
    Will a pre-order still count if it's in May?

It's must before release, I think.

Saying, before April 15th of 2010 whichever the hour they release it.
  • edited March 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    Not really. I use it mine with Siege of Spinner Cay and worked. Don't tell anyone =P

Yeah I used my free code to get Lair of the Leviathan. I suspect they just made an error of omission.

-HM
  • edited March 2010
    Where did you read that it couldn't be used on ToMI? I thought it was usable on everything up to ToMI.
  • edited March 2010
    If you go here:

http://www.telltalegames.com/samandmax/thedevilsplayhouse

..then click "Pre-Order Special". It says you get a free episode from the Telltale library, then details them all, but omits TOMI. As I said, I think it's simply an error of omission.

-HM
  • edited March 2010
    Just pre-ordered on Steam. Do I get access to the special secret sub-forum here?
  • edited March 2010
    Just pre-ordered on Steam. Do I get access to the special secret sub-forum here?
    According to Joel, Telltale Marketing Guy:
    joeldee wrote: »
    Given the missing opt-in box from Steam, they're telling us that they'll be sending the pre-orderers an email with further instructions on this.

- Joel
  • edited March 2010
    Hey, how come I haven't received my free code yet?
  • edited March 2010
    It's in the same mail as the forumlink.
  • edited March 2010
    It's must before release, I think.

Saying, before April 15th of 2010 whichever the hour they release it.

So I won't get a free game if I pre-order May?

Right then.
  • edited March 2010
    So I won't get a free game if I pre-order May?

Right then.

It's more "if you order in May, it's not a preorder".
    Preordering means ordering something before it's available. It comes out in April. May is after April.

Preordering specials don't apply to things that aren't preorders.
  • edited March 2010
    I was just confused because it is in a sense a preorder to further episodes.
  • MRNMRN
    edited March 2010
    Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is now up for pre-order on the portugues playstation store!!!!!

Woot!!!!!!
  • edited April 2010
    I was just confused because it is in a sense a preorder to further episodes.

Free episodes and other similar perks (like the private forum) are limited to those that pre-order the entire season. You can still purchase the entire season before it's all released, but from a seasonal (perks) standpoint it's no longer considered a pre-order after the first episode has been released.
  • edited April 2010
    I have not read this long thread. I see no DVD mentioned. You don't get it with pre-order?
  • edited April 2010
    If you preorder season 3 via Telltale you will get the DVD for the only the cost of shipping after all episodes have been released.

-HM
  • edited April 2010
    Hollow Man wrote: »
    If you preorder season 3 via Telltale you will get the DVD for the only the cost of shipping after all episodes have been released.

-HM

Well that's how it usually works, but maybe this time something new will happen.
  • edited April 2010
    Just read the FAQ from the product page:

---

What if I want a disc version of the game?

We'll have a great collector's DVD for PC and Mac customers after the end of the downloadable season. Like all of our episodic games, Sam & Max: The Devil's Playhouse will be available on DVD after all five episodes have been released. Any season purchaser gets the DVD for only the cost of shipping, so you can get the instant gratification of playing the game downloads as they release, then experience the tactile satisfaction of owning the disc after the season concludes. Note that we will not be able to provide disks for PSN users.

---

-HM
  • edited April 2010
    So has anyone else noticed that the icon for The Penal Zone is now showing on the games page?

samandmax-301_icon.png

Just thought I'd mention it.
  • edited April 2010
    Nope, thanks.

I have to say though, the pic isn't as clear as all previous icons used.
    Skun'Kape is *far* too small. It's that I know that's him, but I suspect someone who doesn't know wouldn't be able to recognise what's being depicted.
  • edited April 2010
    Not really. I use it mine with Siege of Spinner Cay and worked.

Don't tell anyone =P

Huh. I did the same thing. Tales of Monkey Island is the only Mac series, except for Sam and Max.
  • edited April 2010
    Myself, I'm wondering if any characters from Hit the Road will make an appearance. Of course, I'm not sure about the rights regarding that game.

Can't wait for this game! The other two seasons I only recently got, so I could play them one after the other (LOVED the second season) but this will be my first episodic season playing one per month. It really does look epic, seems more like an interactive movie than a game from the trailer.
  • edited April 2010
    If my card's got credit, I'm definitely getting this.
  • edited April 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    I have a 9400M in my MacBook and it runs Tales of MI great, so it should be able to play Devils Playhouse well enough too. Not sure if it will run with everything set to the ultimate top setting, but you should be able to play it no problem.

I'm planning to get an iMac soon; are you saying that the 9400M doesn't handle level-9 graphics? I've grown accustomed to them on my current PC, and I wouldn't want to miss out...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    jolson42 wrote: »
    I'm planning to get an iMac soon; are you saying that the 9400M doesn't handle level-9 graphics? I've grown accustomed to them on my current PC, and I wouldn't want to miss out...

Whatever's in the current generation of iMacs should run the game no problem.
  • edited April 2010
    Hey does anybody know if they will release Season 3 to the Wii once all the episodes have come out?
  • edited April 2010
    Hey does anybody know if they will release Season 3 to the Wii once all the episodes have come out?

Nobody really knows, but, looking at their history of releases, soon or later. I hope soon, but probably will be later. But I hope not.
  • edited April 2010
    New gameplay trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-i-sam-max/64430

Love the reference to "Harvey". That's such a good movie.
  • edited April 2010
    Stinky's
    really hung up about that talking animal thing, isn't he?
  • edited April 2010
    The lighting looks good. The Sam and Max models don't look better than the previous seasons.
  • edited April 2010
    Zodler wrote: »
    The lighting looks good. The Sam and Max models don't look better than the previous seasons.

Yeah, they do. Way better. Don't make me get comparison screenshots.

And man, seeing Max "get angry" was so hilarious. The expressiveness of the characters has advanced even way beyond Tales for sure.
  • edited April 2010

And man, seeing Max "get angry" was so hilarious. The expressiveness of the characters has advanced even way beyond Tales for sure.
    Yeah, wow, Sam and Max look a HELL of a lot better than Season Two. The expressions are lively and varied, and the detail is a lot better(especially on Sam).
  • edited April 2010
    Please do.
  • edited April 2010
    I won't get comparison screenshots, but I'll propose a test to Zodler:

Fire up an episode from Season 2. Any episode. Actually, 204 and 205 would probably work best since they have Grandpa Stinky too. Play for a little while. (Or find a decent quality playthrough on YouTube.) Make note of the animations, both facial and otherwise.

Now rewatch the gameplay video. Make note of the animations, both facial and otherwise. Keep an eye on the textures as well.

Give the differences you notice careful consideration -- no matter how subtle they might seem! -- then return here with your results.

I'll be in bed in my lab if you need me.
  • edited April 2010
    I really like that they have eyebrows now. It's good that Sam never takes off his hat, because on little Sam, his angry expression looks like a parasite is growing out of his forehead.
  • edited April 2010
    Love the Sea Chanty music playing over the jukebox, but that shadow of Max's ear over Grandpa Stinky's face is kind of distracting.
  • edited April 2010
    Zodler wrote: »
    Please do.

2zg5274.jpg
    122cd4x.png

i1mn2a.jpg
    2rg2hjp.png
    mb245v.png

Here.
This discussion has been closed.