Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse - control and interface discussion thread.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    You don't need to do it. Wallace & Gromit and Tales of MI had the same feature -- a "show hotspots" button.
    Wow, I didn't know that! I played the entire Tales season and never knew I could see the hotspots! :p (How were we supposed to know this button?)
  • edited March 2010
    Zodler wrote: »
    Wow, I didn't know that! I played the entire Tales season and never knew I could see the hotspots! :p (How were we supposed to know this button?)

It doesn't work if you play it on a low graphic setting, though.
  • edited March 2010
    I don't even know what a hotspot is
  • edited March 2010
    They mean stuff you can click.
  • edited March 2010
    ah, so any item. So my next question is What does that Hyperdrive Mode thing (or whatever it was, been a while since I've played a game, didn't check in Ice Station Santa I've seen in several games do? it doesn't seem to do anything
  • edited March 2010
    I didn't notice any Hyperdrive mode. My guess is that it's a joke and does nothing at all.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    ah, so any item. So my next question is What does that Hyperdrive Mode thing (or whatever it was, been a while since I've played a game, didn't check in Ice Station Santa I've seen in several games do? it doesn't seem to do anything

It did nothing. Just there to annoy people. :) Sorry.
  • edited March 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    It doesn't work if you play it on a low graphic setting, though.

I feel like elaborating on this, in case any questions/complaints arise on the matter.

The hotspot display feature only works above a certain quality level because it requires that depth of field effects are enabled, which gets turned off at settings lower than 3 or 4, I believe.
  • edited March 2010
    so mess with the heads of people. I thought for a second it would make the entire game move faster. It seemed to make it move smoother when I selected it in Crossover, but I must have been going crazy
  • edited March 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    I feel like elaborating on this, in case any questions/complaints arise on the matter.

The hotspot display feature only works above a certain quality level because it requires that depth of field effects are enabled, which gets turned off at settings lower than 3 or 4, I believe.

Thanks for the specifics. I can only play at level 1 so I had no clue when it starts being possible, which is why I wasn't more specific.
  • edited March 2010
    As someone who hated the click and drag system, but still prefers to play with just the mouse:

Can I just point and click to move around?
  • edited March 2010
    Wow, this looks UNBELIEVABLY slick. That trailer showed a whole new level of the telltale engine so far as i can tell. Nice to see TTG changing it up, I'd hate for S&M to start getting stale. Much anticipation!
  • edited March 2010
    Lackey wrote: »
    As someone who hated the click and drag system, but still prefers to play with just the mouse:

Yes and no. mostly no, but if it's like ToMI and W&G you can click on items to get closer to them, and that's kinda limited point&click.
  • edited March 2010
    I love the dialogue options you've gone with the for the PS3! Looks like it will work really well :)
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Lackey wrote: »

If you click on something, you will walk to it before using it. Clicking on the ground doesn't do anything.
    edited March 2010
    Hotspot highlighting!

Hotspot highlighting is no longer tied to your graphic quality setting. I believe it is limited to gamepad controls, however, as it is tied in with the way you select things in that mode. Pressing the equivalent of right-trigger will make hotspots show up.
  • edited March 2010
    I still prefer the old dialog trees: just reading the options is funny.
  • edited March 2010
    I just have to say, the interface on this looks unbelievably good.

From the GDC video, using Sam's notebook as an interface to keep track of characters/puzzle progress is simply genius. Looks like it has a really natural feel to it too.

And the way Max's "powers" are accessed I never would have expected to see in a Telltale game.

Undoubtedly there's going to be a lot of people upset by the changes, but as far as I'm concerned, bring 'em on.

Can't wait for April 15.
  • edited March 2010
    No text parsers?! WTF?! Is it too late for a refund?!
  • edited March 2010
    Randulf wrote: »

I can see why they went with the new ones: the element of surprise. I've personally always loved CMI's take, which, gives you one part and surprises you with another. For example (and I'm writing this; can't remember much CMI with this Sam and Max thing):

Were you always this stupid, or did you have to work on it?

The bolded part would be the one that showed-up in a dialogue tree, like this: "Were you always this stupid?". I've always loved that system.
  • edited March 2010
    Randulf wrote: »

I hate this!! I don't want to "read the joke" I want some of the best voice actors in the business to deliver it. I also don't want to know what the joke is before I hear it. The dialogue options look perfect to me, and more reminiscent of Hit the Road.
  • edited March 2010
    Hero1 wrote: »
    I hate this!! I don't want to "read the joke" I want some of the best voice actors in the business to deliver it. I also don't want to know what the joke is before I hear it. The dialogue options look perfect to me, and more reminiscent of Hit the Road.

The written dialogue lines can work well, particularly in cases like the Monkey Island series (including ToMI) where at times they're used as an indication of inner thought that is transformed in to something either less likely to cause offense (Voodoo lady's pictures of grand children) or less likely to cause death (some of Guybrush's available responses to LeChuck). Great depiction of the inner censor (though Psychonauts still has the award on depictions of inner censors.)

That said, the new system does seem closer to that used in Hit the Road where only icons were used to depict the general subject of conversation. If I remember right, there was also a duck icon for the non sequitur comments Sam could make, so...If they're going back to subject based conversations, hopefully there's some way to see which is the "bizarre" conversation choice.
  • edited March 2010
    i really hate the ToMI controls, so this is really bad news for me... but i can't resist buying it :P

on the dialogue choices. It really annoys me how innacurate it is in Mass Effect (where it actually makes a difference). in Sam & Max it's funny and no big problem
  • edited March 2010
    Yeah, I have to say I'm pretty disappointed about this.. I'll be buying it regardless, but the click and drag control scheme was literally the only thing I did not like about Tales of Monkey Island. It was awkward to use, and after all the complaints, I'm pretty surprised to hear it's been retained for Sam & Max.

Not game destroying, but.. :(
  • edited March 2010
    I also hated the click and drag system, easily the worst thing about ToMI. Sigh, guess I'll have to stop doing whatever I was doing with my other hand and use it for the wasd controls
  • edited March 2010
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    If you click on something, you will walk to it before using it. Clicking on the ground doesn't do anything.
    And this exactly doesn't make sense from an end users point of view and you know that! :O)
  • edited March 2010
    Did you guys ever consider WASD, like, at all?
    It's not like its "Click and Drag or DIE!!!!!!"

Just sayin
  • edited March 2010
    Meh. I'm fine with WASD. Click and drag on the other hand is a horrible system imo.
  • edited March 2010
    Meh. I'm fine with WASD. Click and drag on the other hand is a horrible system imo.

Hear hear.
  • edited March 2010
    Katsuro wrote: »
    Did you guys ever consider WASD, like, at all?
    It's not like its "Click and Drag or DIE!!!!!!"
    Just sayin

There does not exist a single game i'm playing with WASD. FPS related i prefer laying the movement steering on the mouse. Dunno kind of reminds me of "Did you consider using machinecode instead of Ruby?".
  • edited March 2010
    Click-and-drag definitely needs some ... tweaking. Okay. Tons. It has a lot of potential, but from my end it's way too finicky/sensitive to use for more than a few minutes at a time. WASD and arrow keys, on the other hand, work just as you'd expect them to. I'll choose the straight-forward method over the ability to play with one hand any day -- at least if and until click-and-drag becomes relatively intuitive.

At the moment though, I find WASD to be perfectly adequate. Except now I'm waffling between picking up a gamepad or double-dipping on the PSN release to see if I'd like that better. Hmph.
  • edited March 2010
    The movements with WASD will be only camera related, like in ToMI, or could we change to character related, like Grim Fandango and EMI?
  • edited March 2010
    ...Really guys? Am I the only one who -loves- click'n'dragging?
  • edited March 2010
    probably, in my experience it really doesn't work. I wasd at this point because I am an RPG gamer and Am Used to mousing to select abilities
  • Awww, I hate having to reach up to the keyboard for adventure games and click 'n' drag doesn't work very well. I really miss just being able to click where I want to go. Why can't you include that in addition to all the other schemes?
  • edited March 2010
    Awww, I hate having to reach up to the keyboard for adventure games and click 'n' drag doesn't work very well. I really miss just being able to click where I want to go. Why can't you include that in addition to all the other schemes?

Camera angles...art direction...loads of stuff.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Will there be Item combination?
    If so, can i just drag items onto each other as opposed to the slot system used in ToMI?
  • edited March 2010
    I'm glad to see so many control inputs! I think (almost) everyone should be happy now. :)
    THANKS, TELLTALE!

Some questions.

Is the gamepad support on PC limited to the Xbox 360 controller or pretty much every win-compatible joypad is supported?
    I can still go with Joy2Key, but I'd like to know if my PS2-PC hybrid joypad will work out of the box. ;)

May I control the game entirely through keyboard? Does full-keyboard-control trigger the gamepad mode?
  • edited March 2010
    Diduz wrote: »
    Is the gamepad support on PC limited to the Xbox 360 controller or pretty much every win-compatible joypad is supported?

That's what I'd like to know as well.
    edited March 2010
    I really miss just being able to click where I want to go. Why can't you include that in addition to all the other schemes?

There are threads discussing this all over the forum. What it comes down to is this: Making a game support point-and-click imposes strict requirements on level design and cinematography. We don't want to work within those requirements, so we dropped point-and-click.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.