Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse - control and interface discussion thread.

12345679»

Comments

• [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Would you be able to say any other changes that got backported to the PC version? Would any of them be interesting and notable to non-programmer customers?

Little control and UI things here and there. The virtual thumbstick is the most notable thing as far as I can remember.
    edited April 2010
    JJoyce wrote: »
    Though I'd say not having an actual circle/belt/hula hoop depicted on screen really does something for the feel even though it's using the same mechanism.

To me, the thumbstick feels better because it is a more accurate visualization of what I'm doing.

BTW, Yare, kudos to whoever stole Hit the Road's 'use' icon for Season 3.

Jake is our UI wizard, among other things.
  • edited April 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    xpadder makes any game compatible with your gamepad.

You're right (for Wallace & Gromit I used Joy2Key, BTW), but if the PC version doesn't support hotspot-cycling through the keyboard as W&G did, you'll be forced to remap the mouse control to the right stick. Moving the cursor around with the right stick isn't exactly comfortable. I tried that with ToMI. :(
    edited April 2010
    Diduz wrote: »
    You're right (for Wallace & Gromit I used Joy2Key, BTW), but if the PC version doesn't support hotspot-cycling through the keyboard as W&G did, you'll be forced to remap the mouse control to the right stick. Moving the cursor around with the right stick isn't exactly comfortable. I tried that with ToMI. :(

If you're using a game pad on the PC, you can cycle through objects with your controller's equivalent of left/right bumper. Right stick is no longer a relative directional selection mode, but also cycles through objects left/right.

The algorithm that determines which object to highlight in front of you has been improved, so that most of the time you shouldn't need to cycle manually.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    The biggest notable change in the PC version of Devils Playhouse from Tales of MI or Wallace & Gromit is that we support the full console controls as well as the full PC controls dynamically. If you're playing with a gamepad but then switch to the mouse and keyboard, the UI will fade out and fade back in with the PC controls.

I know some players ended up finding themselves subconsciously (or deliberately) switching back and forth between click'n'drag and WASD/arrows while playing Tales. We tried to formalize that and support it further by also allowing the gamepad to be fully pick-up-and-play mid session in a comfortable way.

For gamepad players we should also be detecting in real-ish time if you're using an Xbox 360 controller (and using the multicolored A/B/X/Y facebuttons) or a more generic DirectControl gamepad like a Logitech pad (and therefore using the grey numbered 1/2/3/4 button system).

There's also a "controls help" screen in settings, which lists all keys and button maps across the mouse, keyboard, and gamepad.
    BTW, Yare, kudos to whoever stole Hit the Road's 'use' icon for Season 3. Seeing its return warmed a very jaded heart.
    Thank Chuck for that. And Ryan, who drew the new upres'd icons. The "pick-up" icon in the inventory is also a hit the road callback. Actually, most of the PC's inventory structure is a Hit the Road callback.
    Now if you guys can get back to icon based conversation...I want my duck back for non sequiturs (and bon mots), dammit.
    Cut content spoiler: We almost did it -- having unique icons next to the shortened text prompts -- but there wasn't consensus in the studio about it being a good idea, and they ended up getting cut a couple months ago. I miss the icons but I also like the cleanness of the dialog interface we finally landed on.
  • edited April 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    Cut content spoiler: We almost did it -- having unique icons next to the shortened text prompts -- but there wasn't consensus in the studio about it being a good idea, and they ended up getting cut a couple months ago. I miss the icons but I also like the cleanness of the dialog interface we finally landed on.

Sure, I can see where pairing icons with the prompts might have gotten a bit cluttered.

You guys took a bit of a gamble with such an extensive reworking of the UI, but I'd say it's turned out beautifully -- apart from the egregious error in the matter of the rubber duck icon's absence, that is.

I'm particularly impressed with the team's apparent obsession with polishing absolutely everything, no matter how small (some of the touches with environmental music in "max mode" come to mind.)

I will say she-who-reconciles-the-checking-account isn't too thrilled with you guys at the moment, but I've been needing to upgrade my home PC for a while now anyway. :D
  • edited April 2010
    Cycling through the objects is kind of an unwelcome hint for me. Part of the fun of adventure games is to find the hot spot by the mouse on screen. It has happened to me sometimes to miss an obvious object right in front of me. It's fun when you finally find it and see what you have been missing.

For me the adventure games don't work on consoles with no mouse.
  • edited April 2010
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    Right stick is no longer a relative directional selection mode, but also cycles through objects left/right.

I was hoping it would control the cursor, similarly to how the XBLA ports of the first 2 seasons worked, but with the left stick doing direct movement. :(
  • edited April 2010
    If you're using a game pad on the PC, you can cycle through objects with your controller's equivalent of left/right bumper. Right stick is no longer a relative directional selection mode, but also cycles through objects left/right.

The algorithm that determines which object to highlight in front of you has been improved, so that most of the time you shouldn't need to cycle manually.

What I meant is: if the gamepad isn't detected, there are no alternative ways to cycle through the hotspots via keyboard. So... if one wants to remap the keys to the joypad using Xpadder or Joy2Key, it will be impossible to apply anything to the right stick. One would be forced to apply the mouse emulation to the right stick, and that's not a comfortable solution.
    To sum up: if your gamepad isn't supported, you can't rely on Joy2Key or Xpadder as I did with W&G, unless one's ready to move the cursor around with the right stick. :p
  • edited April 2010
    To me, the thumbstick feels better because it is a more accurate visualization of what I'm doing.

Does it actually operate like a thumbstick, where the further you move it from the "center," the faster you go? It did not work that way in ToMI, and I think it would be very intuitive. That's how it worked in the Marios you guys are always talking about with regards to direct control.
  • edited April 2010
    So if there are touch-centric controls for the ipad version, is there any chance this will be in the Windows version as well? I have an acer tablet PC that runs windows 7 with multitouch, and it'd be neat to try playing with just the touchscreen. Monkey island worked on the machine, but it was a little tricky to move around with the click/drag. If the "virtual joystick" ends up in the PC version though, it might be a better solution.
  • edited April 2010

As a programmer, you'll probably reckon than doing a linear search in a container is not the fastest way to find an item (Grim Fandango legacy) :)
    edited April 2010
    Tramb wrote: »
    As a programmer, you'll probably reckon than doing a linear search in a container is not the fastest way to find an item (Grim Fandango legacy) :)

No, but I do think it is the fastest way to familiarize yourself with all objects in a container that was previously opaque. The problem with a relative directional selection scheme is you have to already know where you want to go and what items are selectable, else you will miss things. People missed things all the time in Wallace and Gromit. Linear search prevents gamepad people from skipping things. There's always a reason behind the control decisions we make.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Tramb wrote: »

Are you referring to Grim's inventory system here? If so, the slow animations and unresponsiveness to mid-animation keypresses (plus insisting on not just selecting, but just showing one item at a time) is to blame. Not that it was laid out in a line instead of a browsable grid. Or you were talking about something else.
  • edited April 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    Are you referring to Grim's inventory system here? If so, the slow animations and unresponsiveness to mid-animation keypresses (plus insisting on not just selecting, but just showing one item at a time) is to blame. Not that it was laid out in a line instead of a browsable grid. Or you were talking about something else.

I was talking about Grim's inventory, and you're totally right about your two points. Yet I do prefer 2D selection for inventory items. Cycling invariably means you gotta skip the good object, roll back, and curse.
    Having both modes is probably a good trade-off, and of course it depends of the inventory size in the game.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.