Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse - control and interface discussion thread.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    From my observations, in order to make 3D point and click, you need a strong emphasis on the ground. (Try navigating the previous seasons of Sam and Max by pressing on the walls.) So I went to Chapter 4 of ToMI and took screenshots of the 5 different camera shots used while walking around in the courtroom.

I guess the close-up on Phatt governor in MI2 or the CGI scenes in MI3 were cinematic enough.

I just can't understand this obsession with direct control in adventure games when the very implementations are miles away from any decent action third person game, that blend dozens of animations smoothly and allow good collisions with the sceneries and slick moves.
    I would consider direct control in adventure games if the character moved slickly like Miss Bayonetta or Kratos, not a collision cylinder steering like a tank.
    Same goes with the choice and implementation of camera angles, movement relativity and camera switching, which is a hard problem that most 3rd-person games don't get it right. Needless to say TT didn't nail it either.

Another very obvious flaw of click and drag is the time you spend with the button down to move.
    Moving is *not* the interesting thing in an adventure game, so I want less involvement in the moving process.

In conclusion, I didn't even finish ToMI and I won't buy S&M3 (except if it ever goes to a portable console, the direct controls would be quite ok there).
  • edited March 2010
    Tramb wrote: »
    I guess the close-up on Phatt governor in MI2 or the CGI scenes in MI3 were cinematic enough.

I just can't understand this obsession with direct control in adventure games when the very implementations are miles away from any decent action third person game, that blend dozens of animations smoothly and allow good collisions with the sceneries and slick moves.
    I would consider direct control in adventure games if the character moved slickly like Miss Bayonetta or Kratos, not a collision cylinder steering like a tank.
    Same goes with the choice and implementation of camera angles, movement relativity and camera switching, which is a hard problem that most 3rd-person games don't get it right. Needless to say TT didn't nail it either.

Another very obvious flaw of click and drag is the time you spend with the button down to move.
    Moving is *not* the interesting thing in an adventure game, so I want less involvement in the moving process.

In conclusion, I didn't even finish ToMI and I won't buy S&M3 (except if it ever goes to a portable console, the direct controls would be quite ok there).

Yet another extremely well versed take at the advantages of point & click over "direct" control.

Then again, no matter how eloquently the truth is spoken, I guess it's easier & more soothing to the ego to listen to fanboys.

:D

Cheers!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Yet another extremely well versed take at the advantages of point & click over "direct" control.

Then again, no matter how eloquently the truth is spoken, I guess it's easier & more soothing to the ego to listen to fanboys.

:D

Cheers!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and personal preference, including those making the game. Honest.
  • edited March 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion and personal preference, including those making the game. Honest.

Yes, well... huh... No, but you see, it's... uhm...

The REAL point in case is actually this:

Curses. I can't retaliate that. :(

So, you're saying that the control change is a matter of personal preference for all, if not most, of the Telltale team? You're saying that you guys actually enjoy playing using "direct" control?

Naw, come on... there MUST be OTHER reason. One I can question. One that allows for discussion, like you're doing this to create "more edgy & quality gaming that will reach out to the hip game crowd of today's youth".

Please.

Yes?

Cheers!
  • edited March 2010
    Yes, well... huh... No, but you see, it's... uhm...

The REAL point in case is actually this:

Curses. I can't retaliate that. :(

So, you're saying that the control change is a matter of personal preference for all, if not most, of the Telltale team? You're saying that you guys actually enjoy playing using "direct" control?

Naw, come on... there MUST be OTHER reason. One I can question. One that allows for discussion, like you're doing this to create "more edgy & quality gaming that will reach out to the hip game crowd of today's youth".

Please.

Yes?

Cheers!

I enjoy playing with direct control. I'm going to be replaying seasons 1 and 2 and I'm sure I will feel strange going back to pointing and clicking on the floor.

I can't understand some people's problems with the click and drag. When I first saw it appear in Lair of the Leviathan's opening sequence I wasn't expecting it but it I managed to control Guybrush without any problems almost instantaneously. I didn't even realise the WASD controls were in the game, because I played it through with mouse only one hand action all the way.

I also have good control over it - I haven't had any instances of getting stuck or Guybrush going in zig zags or been unable to mentally grasp the concept of the character/camera oriented changes when a scene changes and you're still moving in the direction of the last camera. Those are non-issues for me. I would have assumed even the most stubborn learning curved people would have been able to get it by now after 5 games too... if they kept using it that is...

I didn't realise you could also make Guybrush run using the right mouse button until episode 2 and even having a running at speed Guybrush I didn't lose control and have him crashing into walls or anything.

In my experience click and drag works. I want it to stay. Maybe having played multiple different genre games with many different control options gave me a good adaptability?

E.g. I've played console games with games pads, I've played classic LucasArts point and click, I've played Black & White (which is even stranger with you needing to click and drag on the ground to move), I've done WASD keyboard games like Monkey Island 4 and Wallace and Gromit, I've done Sims games which need mouse dragging to control camera movement, I've even done text based "Walk Left" games but that is going back way back...

No doubt this is only another footnote in adventure game interface evolution. Who knows, in 2012 you could be moving Sam and Max season 5 with your fingers on a multi-touch 3D OLED screen. I wonder how many complaints that would get? :eek:
  • edited March 2010
    Those are non-issues for me. I would have assumed even the most stubborn learning curved people would have been able to get it by now after 5 games too... if they kept using it that is...
    ...and if they kept being interested in playing.

Pprogramming fluently in C++, knowing how to design a gearbox, administrating an OpenBSD firewall, or learning liver surgery can be done too with enough motivation. Except they are useful somewhat.
    No doubt this is only another footnote in adventure game interface evolution. Who knows, in 2012 you could be moving Sam and Max season 5 with your fingers on a multi-touch 3D OLED screen. I wonder how many complaints that would get?

And this system could join FMV adventures in the "well, at least we tried" bin.
    Though maybe time will make them as memorable as GK2 or Tex Murphy's romps.
    Think of GK3 control system and graphics backend.
    Most people love this game *in spite* of these.
    And think of EtMI.
    Most people don't love this game.
  • edited March 2010
    From what I recall Gabriel Knight 3 uses Point and Click.

And it's HORRIBLE at that. Same with Broken Sword: Angel of Darkness. Uses point and click, and stuffed it away about 20 minutes after starting playing.

So, yeah, there is bad P&C too.
    Most people love this game *in spite* of these.
    So why can't you like ToMI/S&M3 in spite of no P&C?
  • edited March 2010
    From what I recall Gabriel Knight 3 uses Point and Click.
    ...with direct camera control, wich you'll probably admit was a major difference.
    Same with Broken Sword: Angel of Darkness.
    Didn't play it, the third disgusted me of the series enough.
    So, yeah, there is bad P&C too.
    And lots of! But globally they tend to stay away from certain licenses I love (not always as you noted :) )
    So why can't you like ToMI/S&M3 in spite of no P&C?

Maybe I will, if it they are truly great classics story-wise and gameplay-wise, but only time will tell and I will definitely won't preorder or buy at full price anymore.
  • edited March 2010
    I don't see a problem here. It's still point and click except they just added an extra step: Move, Point, then Click. It's nowhere NEAR as bad as Escape From Monkey Island or Grim Fandango for that matter, where you had ONLY keyboard controls to move, look, select things, talk to people, and use inventory.

I find that using the WASD or arrow keys and then using the mouse to click, examine, talk to people, and use inventory makes it feel more like a game to those who have never played or just didn't like traditional point & click adventure games; and I've found myself liking it a little bit more than the traditional way, and I grew up with the classics like Monkey Island 1,2,& 3, Day of The Tentacle, Full Throttle, The Dig, Gabriel Knight, Leisure Suit Larry, etc.

I have to applaud Telltale here for not only trying to help new audiences appreciate the greatness that a good adventure game can be, but also trying new things to help further the legacy of this genre of games and it's fans so that it doesn't fade away like it almost did about 5 or so years ago.
  • edited March 2010
    I hated click and drag for about fifteen minutes until I got used to it. After that I didn't have any problems using it one-handed. I don't see how holding down the left mouse button is any worse than having to click repeatedly to get a character to cross a screen. So I really don't get what all the fuss is about. *shrugs*
  • edited March 2010
    Jen Kollic wrote: »
    I don't see how holding down the left mouse button is any worse than having to click repeatedly to get a character to cross a screen.

Biomechanics?
  • edited March 2010
    Tramb wrote: »
    ...with direct camera control, wich you'll probably admit was a major difference.
    If by "major difference" you mean "major pain in the ass", then, yes. Having character control instead of camera control gets my preference because atleast then you can't get lost of your character. Not to mention the limitations of moving around the camera where quite annoying, character limitation is usually pretty easy to observe, and there is no axis to deal with (especially the z one).
    Didn't play it, the third disgusted me of the series enough.
    Lucky you. Oh well, got it from the bargain bin, so it could have been worse.
    Maybe I will, if it they are truly great classics story-wise and gameplay-wise, but only time will tell and I will definitely won't preorder or buy at full price anymore.
    IMO Season 2 and ToMI are. Season 1 is great too, even if it has it's growing pains (which the first 2 episodes of ToMI also have actually).
  • edited March 2010
    I think that disliking a game because the controls are different from what you'd prefer is like disliking a movie because the chair you sat in to watch it was uncomfortable.
  • edited March 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    I think that disliking a game because the controls are different from what you'd prefer is like disliking a movie because the chair you sat in to watch it was uncomfortable.

Not really. At least you can go watch the movie in a place with more comfortable chairs. The controls are actually part of the game. At least telltale gives us options though.
  • edited March 2010
    It's more like watching a 3D movie with glasses with 3D glasses. Highly uncomfortable.

And depending on the glasses, unbearable for long stints.
  • edited March 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »

Only if you were forced to watch that particularly movie in the same chair for all of eternity.
  • edited April 2010
    OK, this is sort of a control-related question, so I'll post it here.

As everyone knows by now, Telltale is releasing S&M Season 3 for the iPad with a special control system that works well when you have nothing but a screen.

There are other tablet PCs, though, and HP is supposed to be releasing something called the Slate that will compete with iPad but run Windows 7. They won't say too much about it yet, so I don't know if it will have a processor or graphics good enough to run a modern Telltale game, but I guess we'll see.

What I'm wondering is if Telltale would consider adding the iPad interface so that it could be used on tablet PCs? I remember reading one poster (maybe here in this thread, maybe one of the many others) who complained that click-and-drag didn't work so well on tablets.

Not saying you should suddenly introduce yet another control interface less than two weeks before the game is released, but maybe it can be back-added into the season if iPad's interface turns out to be a hit.

(I don't actually have a tablet PC, and I'm not planning to buy one in the near future, but I'm curious about stuff like this.)
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    WarpSpeed wrote: »
    What I'm wondering is if Telltale would consider adding the iPad interface so that it could be used on tablet PCs?

Click+Drag was considerably improved for SM3 and then fiddled with further for the iPad version. I have backported the iPad Click+Drag improvements to the PC version of the game.

The rest of the control and UI changes... It is certainly possible that we will support these for other tablets at some point but it will not be from release.
  • TorTor
    edited April 2010
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    Click+Drag was considerably improved for SM3 and then fiddled with further for the iPad version. I have backported the iPad Click+Drag improvements to the PC version of the game.

The rest of the control and UI changes... It is certainly possible that we will support these for other tablets at some point but it will not be from release.
    Interesting. I own a convertible tablet, and it's great for playing Sam & Max Season 1+2, Scumm games, etc. The new control scheme in TMI didn't work as well for tablet input, so I switched back to mouse and keyboard for that game.
  • edited April 2010
    Well, after the passover hangover, after all the nice girls that joined the party at Casa del Licker have been paid, after settling the debts with the nice man who brought the flour & assorted materials for a proper non-stop bakedness & still having just enough to pay my ISP, I can finally roam the internets once again.

April 15 is close... too close. For me, it'll be a day of mourning. The day that point & click is buried once & for all. So, I thought I'd give it a last, albeit hopeless, try. "If you die," me mother always says "die with your NEW boots on. I don't want people thinking you're poor."

You know, it kinda struck me that point & click dying so close to the Easter is nothing short of ironic... especially since it's bound to resurrect again, sometime in the future.

I guess we can find some comfort in that. And in knowing that it died for the sins of Man who insists in the error of his ways & will keep on doing so until the adventure gaming future looks so bleak that he will once again turn to P&C & pray for salvation yet again.

Repetitis repetitiae & a merry go 'round for us all.

But think not I am totally ungrateful. Nah, I shall thank you for evermore for all the Sam & Max you have given us thus far. I treasure my two Max & Crossbones shirts like I treasure our red flag of freedom. Come to think of it, it's only two degrees removed from it. I thank you, Jake, for making the mp3 of the Hard Rock journey of Jared available at request. Some day I hope to buy you a pint in proper thanks. And, most of all, Telltale, thank you for kicking LucasArts in the nuts & make 'em give Monkey Island some much needed love.

As you see, I'm only somewhat ungrateful.

That said, I URGE you once again to reconsider. Otherwise, I shall be forced to once again sail under the flag of red, with me brethren & sistren o' fortune. How my heart longs for days when such deeds shall not be needed... but oh, despair, as yet another turns on us & forces us to fight for the rights of everyone who sails in the sea of consumerism.

And even though I am struggling for them as much as myself, the responses I read to such crucifixion in these boreds, all the excuses they make for your misguided change of direction are similar to the ones made for the poor, misguided Romans.

Yes, I was there. In me other life. I was one of the mob, back then. Sadly. I even cast a stone at Him & told Him to get screwed. He looked back at me & said "Dude, you're the one who's gonna get screwed. Just you wait."

He was right. Now, 2010 years after the fact, I have been reborn with a curse so funny it could've only come from the guy who said his mother was a virgin. You see, I'm really good looking. Beautiful. I'm so good looking that women are afraid to talk to me & think that they will never have a chance with me, that I'm out of their league. And when I talk to them, they think I'm making fun of 'em, until I can convince them that I do want to go out with 'em & do nasty things afterwards. At which point they become obsessively possessive & I have to dump them. Nice one, Jesus. Thank you very much, dude. That was one mean stone, eh?

But I digress.

Learn from my mistakes people, and incur not in such wrath. 200 years from now, in another life, all you who have taken part in this unjustified & unneeded massacre will want to pint at something, but your finger will always ram itself into one of your eyeballs. Click.

I leave you know... I shan't be here to mourn the loss of point & click on that fateful day... but when you do resurrect it, drop me a line & I'll join your flag again. Until then, arr Jim lad, an' you may lay to that.

However, it's still 9 more days until such horrors will occur. I urge you know, to party hard with Chas & Dave, the Two Ronnies & the Two Ronnies as Chas & Dave.

Cheers! friday.gif
  • edited April 2010
    I was hoping with the iPad release this would have maintained point and click, and I'm still not quite sure it isn't retained as an option for the 99% of scenes in which the ground is perfectly visible. But click and drag is good enough for me.
  • edited April 2010
    I still don't understand why control scheme is the most important aspect of a game to you people. "I don't care about story, cinematography, immersive experiences, character development, dialogue, or puzzle quality, I WANT TO CLICK ON STUFF"
  • edited April 2010
    April 15 is close... too close. For me, it'll be a day of mourning. The day that point & click is buried once & for all. So, I thought I'd give it a last, albeit hopeless, try. "If you die," me mother always says "die with your NEW boots on. I don't want people thinking you're poor."
    You know, it kinda struck me that point & click dying so close to the Easter is nothing short of ironic... especially since it's bound to resurrect again, sometime in the future.
    I guess we can find some comfort in that. And in knowing that it died for the sins of Man who insists in the error of his ways & will keep on doing so until the adventure gaming future looks so bleak that he will once again turn to P&C & pray for salvation yet again.

I'm not even Christian and I find your comparison to be horribly untasteful. On the other hand it seems like there hasn't been a lot of real reason to mourn in your life, so I suppose that's lucky of you.
    How my heart longs for days when such deeds shall not be needed... but oh, despair, as yet another turns on us & forces us to fight for the rights of everyone who sails in the sea of consumerism.

The rights... of everyone who sails in the sea of consumerism.

Huh.
    And even though I am struggling for them as much as myself, the responses I read to such crucifixion in these boreds, all the excuses they make for your misguided change of direction are similar to the ones made for the poor, misguided Romans.

Yes, I was there. In me other life. I was one of the mob, back then. Sadly. I even cast a stone at Him & told Him to get screwed. He looked back at me & said "Dude, you're the one who's gonna get screwed. Just you wait."

He was right. Now, 2010 years after the fact, I have been reborn with a curse so funny it could've only come from the guy who said his mother was a virgin. You see, I'm really good looking. Beautiful. I'm so good looking that women are afraid to talk to me & think that they will never have a chance with me, that I'm out of their league. And when I talk to them, they think I'm making fun of 'em, until I can convince them that I do want to go out with 'em & do nasty things afterwards. At which point they become obsessively possessive & I have to dump them. Nice one, Jesus. Thank you very much, dude. That was one mean stone, eh?

I think you're accidentally mistaking the necessary change of control scheme for the story of Jesus.

Learn from my mistakes people, and incur not in such wrath. 200 years from now, in another life, all you who have taken part in this unjustified & unneeded massacre will want to pint at something, but your finger will always ram itself into one of your eyeballs. Click.

I leave you know... I shan't be here to mourn the loss of point & click on that fateful day... but when you do resurrect it, drop me a line & I'll join your flag again. Until then, arr Jim lad, an' you may lay to that.

However, it's still 9 more days until such horrors will occur.

And now you're mistaking the necessary change of control scheme to mass murder.

If you're not trolling, please go see a doctor. Reading these things scare me.
    Cheers!
    Stop.
  • edited April 2010
    Also, how has his blatantly offensive username survived this long?
  • edited April 2010
    What do you mean, "offensive"? I'm insulted!

Sylicker has been the name of my family for countless generations. As for Imapus, it's a very common name in Dobrudzha, like John in your country.

My family name has a very rich history and it is said in Śląsk that "the word of a Sylicker is the word of an honoured person".

There's even a kung fu style named after it.

I am DEEPLY insulted that you find my name offensive & demand an apology. I have done nothing to you to deserve such rude behaviour towards me or my family.

If you think I'm making this stuff up - I know that some, NOT ALL, just some, Americans have no knowledge of the world around them - you can use Google or Wikipedia.

The kung fu style is a secret so you won't find anything on it.

Cheers!
  • edited April 2010
    Sweet jesus you're insane.
  • edited April 2010
    I feel that such accusations are totally uncalled for. Have I insulted you? Why do you feel the need to judge people?

I'll ask you politely to stop.

Cheers!
  • edited April 2010
    (Comes out from under the bridge)

...Oh.
  • edited April 2010
    What happened? He was banned? What did he do?
  • edited April 2010
    Hey Avie,

Yare doesn't like my username, despite being here since 2006 & nobody caring about it.

He's queer that way. :)

Cheers!
  • edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    What happened? He was banned? What did he do?

Think Dangerzone's recent "goodbye forever" post, but with direct control as the main object of ... er ... criticism.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I hope he stays banned. He's not a nice person.
  • edited April 2010
    blah blah blah.........If you think I'm making this stuff up - I know that some, NOT ALL, just some, Americans have no knowledge of the world around them - you can use Google or Wikipedia.!...... blah blah blah

Holy COW I looked it up there is actually a world around me... who knew?
    edited April 2010
    Well, after the passover hangover, after all the nice girls that joined the party at Casa del Licker have been paid, after settling the debts with the nice man who brought the flour & assorted materials for a proper non-stop bakedness & still having just enough to pay my ISP, I can finally roam the internets once again.

I enjoy the sentiment that, since Telltale isn't making Sam & Max a point and click game, point and click is dead, but I don't know if you're taking it far enough. I don't know if we're getting enough credit for our destructive accomplishments, here.

Since Telltale is making the game in 3D, I would say that 2D gaming, as a whole, is dead. Since Telltale is publishing it for PC/Mac/PS3/iPad, I would say that all other platforms are wholly irrelevant. And since the game stars Sam & Max, we're pretty much declaring that any other characters, series, and styles of games are dead, too. I'm glad we're all on the same page here about Telltale's level of influence in gaming, and the world at large.

Or, we made the creative choices that we thought were right for this title, and are pleased with how they've turned out. Your mileage may vary, and it is welcome to, but we think we made a pretty sweet game!
  • edited April 2010
    I enjoy the sentiment that, since Telltale isn't making Sam & Max a point and click game, point and click is dead, but I don't know if you're taking it far enough. I don't know if we're getting enough credit for our destructive accomplishments, here.

Since Telltale is making the game in 3D, I would say that 2D gaming, as a whole, is dead. Since Telltale is publishing it for PC/Mac/PS3/iPad, I would say that all other platforms are wholly irrelevant. And since the game stars Sam & Max, we're pretty much declaring that any other characters, series, and styles of games are dead, too. I'm glad we're all on the same page here about Telltale's level of influence in gaming, and the world at large.

Like I would care about other game companies. I TRIED to play A Vampyre Story, but I couldn't take 5 minutes of the vampiress's voice AND the fact that every time I looked at something, I had to listen to her comment on it, hear the bat tell a joke & listen to her laugh. Took half an hour to explore one small room with half a dozen things in it.

So yeah... you were the only ones releasing quality adventure games.

I wouldn't care if I didn't care, you know?
    Or, we made the creative choices that we thought were right for this title, and are pleased with how they've turned out. Your mileage may vary, and it is welcome to, but we think we made a pretty sweet game!

Pardon the arrogance, I just can't help it. I tried, but I can't. I'm still trying. Nope. Can't.

I'll be the judge of that. :)

My money's always where my mouth is, when proven wrong...

Edit: Now pardon me, I've gotta go recover from the shock that it took Yare years to decipher my username & consider it offensive. Banned for life. What a woofter.

Cheers!
  • edited April 2010
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I hope he stays banned. He's not a nice person.

:(

Well, I guess you really wouldn't like me in real life, then... I actually try to be nicer here than anywhere else.

Cheers!
  • edited April 2010
    Irishmile wrote: »
    Holy COW I looked it up there is actually a world around me... who knew?

Shyeah!
    edited April 2010
    Gertcha wrote: »
    Pardon the arrogance, I just can't help it. I tried, but I can't. I'm still trying. Nope. Can't.

I'll be the judge of that. :)

:) :) :) :) Given that my post said everyone is welcome to make up their own opinion, you have no need to be arrogant. ;) :) ;)
  • edited April 2010
    But being arrogant is my raison d'être. That & being a smug bastard, always looking down on my inferiors.

Now, can you remove the stick out of Yare's backside?

It really IS a shock to be banned for my username. 4 years. FOUR!

I really feel naked without my proper internet name. Just like John Wayne without his pistol.

Cheers!
    edited April 2010
    Between you, "Andrew Ryan," and Rather Dashing, we are overstocked with high horses taking high roads to strike low blows at the moment. Your name was rude. Maybe we're stupid for missing it since it was ridiculous, but it was.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.