Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse - control and interface discussion thread.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    IMPOSSIBLE.

Those bloodsuckers from TTG and their insane MI-slashing/postal money stealing/providing DVD's that no other companies do but I still gonna buy from the others in the future for no good reason/pre-order backstabbing etc.?
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    It would still be nice if there was one man that had the nerves to just tell us the truth, you know what, we are lazy, we support consoles, we like consoles, we dont like the pc and mouse and keyboard so much, thats what we make you WASD, because it less work for us, and easier when porting, yes you get label as lazy and consolification, but still truth above all :)

Point & Click requires no work to implement; it's been built into our engine since day one. We're not using it because it imposes artificial limits on design and cinematography.

Supporting consoles is much more work. Jake and I practically lived at work for two months as we iterated repeatedly on UI and control schemes for both pointers and gamepads. I would go home only to sleep for a few hours a day before returning to continue my work. I worked 7 days a week like this. Understand than I am salaried, and do not get paid for these hundreds of extra hours I worked; I did it willfully to ensure that when the game ships, people with pointers and people with gamepads will have two separate and good control schemes.
  • edited March 2010
    I really doubt I'll ever see another Telltale game with point and click. Disappointing, but never mind.
  • edited March 2010
    Last edited by nikasaur; Today at 01:43 am.
    I suppose PR does limit the 'bluntness' of the staff somewhat.

A shame, cause I do think it's in Yare's full right to be that blunt at that comment, but oh well...
  • edited March 2010
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    It would still be nice if there was one man that had the nerves to just tell us the truth, you know what, we are lazy

They're not lazy.
    They work hard and all they get for that is people complaining about how they like other things better and what they've been working on for months sucks.
    I like point and click too. It's gone. It annoys me but seriously, I don't get how anyone can think it's lazier to change the whole control scheme rather than keep it the same.

You might want to write it down somewhere: "changing everything = more work than changing nothing".

Just because they worked hard doesn't mean you have to love it, but seriously, I don't see how you can accuse them of laziness.
  • edited March 2010
    And again, I think, Telltale is being too nice. In fact, I was avoiding this thread, because I knew something like Yare's post will come eventually. >.<

Sadly, custumers are selfish, and they think they want to have exactly what they want. Which is right, but the ones offering a service are human too, and, if they answer something and is the true, no matter how much the customer start to cry about it, if the answer do not change, is true. But if is not the answer the customer want, well, they will not believe it.

While I know Telltale is a company and I'm a customer, I was raised in the way to appreciate the work done in a good product, especially when I feel the craft and the hard work put on it, even if I payed for it. Of course, I complain when I get something I don't want, but if the only option they can for certain problem or they are telling me they tried it's best and they feel is better for the product, honestly, I understand. I'll decide eventually if I continue buying games from them or not, but never understimate the work they do. I like to do the best I can in everything I do, and I really appreciate when somebody does the same, or even more. And I REALLY appreciate all the trouble Telltale is going to still being nice with a bunch of selfish customers. Not all the companies or all people do that.

So, then. Whathever we believe, if it's wrong, is mostly because we have no idea of how you work there. I'm certain I have no freaking idea what you do there, but I'm sure the Telltalers work HARD. And thinking in the costumers. And that is enough for me.
  • edited March 2010
    Dunning-Kruger effect anybody? :D
  • nikasaurnikasaur Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    I suppose PR does limit the 'bluntness' of the staff somewhat.

A shame, cause I do think it's in Yare's full right to be that blunt at that comment, but oh well...

Hahahaha I expect my friends to be as civil, if not moreso, as the rest of our community. We are hosts after all! Post modification is a close second to punching him in the arm.

This of course goes for everyone. There will always be naysayers in different flavors and varieties and we very much appreciate the support that we get from all of you, but combating rudeness with rudeness is not ideal. People believe what they want to believe, and we'll give our facts and move on.

Then we'll punch Yare in the arm for being a brat.
  • edited March 2010
    Allow me to add my piece to this mess.

Yes, I am a fan of point-and-click and yes, I am disappointed that point-and-click is slowly being killed off. Whatever the reasons some of you have, whether it be Telltale focusing exclusively on consoles or Telltale focusing on more 'cinematic gameplay', we need to accept that point-and-click will no longer be an option for Telltale. The sooner we can accept that the sooner we can move on to more pressing issues (DRM for one, yet that's for another time/topic).

However, to the naysayers claiming Telltale care more about console gaming rather than PC gaming (hence the change in control scheme which, in my opinion is a likely factor on top of 'cinematic gameplay'), you need to remember that the good people at Telltale still have the decency to create a version that does take advantage of the strengths of the PC platform. The act of pointing and clicking is still there, graphics options are still there and more importantly, we (usually) get episodes first before any other platform (Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People excluded).

Think for a second; if Telltale didn't care about PC gaming anymore, why would they go to the trouble of adding in UI elements that are inherently PC centric? Let's take a completely different game as an example for comparison, say Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones. As soon as you enter the game, despite using a keyboard+mouse combo, the game tutorial clearly states "Use the right-analogue stick to rotate the camera". Now, take a look at every Telltale episode created to date. When has there ever been a 'console configuration' mentioned?

Yes, playing the game may feel different, yet look at arguably one of the best adventure games ever made, Grim Fandango. That game was made specifically for consoles yet the PC version still shines on its own, although not as much as a Telltale PC episode.

All I'm trying to say is, be thankful that the good folks at Telltale still have a hand in PC gaming (to me, PC gaming is based on PC hardware and not on what operating system is used) and that they continuously work hard to ensure that every version of their episodes, be it on the PSN, XBLA, Wiiware or PC, plays to the strengths of each platform.
  • edited March 2010
    Klink wrote: »
    Grim Fandango. That game was made specifically for consoles yet the PC version still shines on its own, although not as much as a Telltale PC episode.

Er... Grim Fandango was only made for PC.
  • edited March 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Er... Grim Fandango was only made for PC.

Crap, it is too. Why did I think that it was available on the Playstation?

Ah well, scratch my Grim Fandango comment.
  • edited March 2010
    Escape from Monkey Island was a PC and PS2 game. That had the same engine at Grim Fandango (right?), so maybe that's what you were thinking of.
  • edited March 2010
    Escape from Monkey Island was a PC and PS2 game. That had the same engine at Grim Fandango (right?), so maybe that's what you were thinking of.

Most likely and I probably assumed Grim Fandango had the same fate. I also remember seeing several years ago a Grim Fandango Playstation box art, unless of course it was a clever trick. Then again my mind might be playing tricks on me.

Yes, Escape and Grim Fandango both used the same engine, GrimE.
  • edited March 2010
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    Point & Click requires no work to implement; it's been built into our engine since day one. We're not using it because it imposes artificial limits on design and cinematography.

Supporting consoles is much more work. Jake and I practically lived at work for two months as we iterated repeatedly on UI and control schemes for both pointers and gamepads. I would go home only to sleep for a few hours a day before returning to continue my work. I worked 7 days a week like this. Understand than I am salaried, and do not get paid for these hundreds of extra hours I worked; I did it willfully to ensure that when the game ships, people with pointers and people with gamepads will have two separate and good control schemes.

Your hard work is appreciated! Don't let the same people posting the same comments, over and over again in the same control threads get you down.
  • edited March 2010
    Hero1 wrote: »
    Your hard work is appreciated! Don't let the same people posting the same comments, over and over again in the same control threads get you down.

It's amazing that he's still answering these questions and accusations, after nearly a year, isn't it?
  • edited March 2010
    ...Really guys? Am I the only one who -loves- click'n'dragging?
    Nope, it's perfect. For me it's even better than point&click.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    It's amazing that he's still answering these questions and accusations, after nearly a year, isn't it?

Yare's goal is to keep the detonation controlled. He is the interface and control scheme discussion bomb squad.
  • edited March 2010

Yare left Telltale not long after the Monkey Island thread as he suffered from repetitive strain injury and insanity. The Yare replying to your posts in here is actually bot that regurgitates previous posts the real Yare made.
  • edited March 2010
    I've no problems with Tomi's controls. I think Yare is doing a great job!
    C'mon guys, most of us are used to play shooters or RTS with a lot of keyboard commands... why complain about using four arrows keys now?
    It's just ridiculous.

Nobody complained about Heavy Rain's control scheme... do you think it would be as immersive as if it was point and click?
    I like Heavy Rain and I think Telltale is going the right direction with direct control.

I think that many of us have the Grim Fandango/Escape From Monkey Island Syndome: that was a very bad control system with a lot of unuseful keys. Since then, everytime direct control is mentioned anyone screams in horror.
    But imagine a remake of Grim Fandango or Escape From Monkey Island done with Telltale control system: I would buy it immediately!!!!

So, well done YARE! Keep us IN the game! Just let us use only the mouse if possible (like the great drag'n'drop idea - if you'll be used to it you will never be the same ;))!!!!
  • edited March 2010
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »

What I would love to see, is point & click being still enabled for scenes where the floor is on-camera, which you've got to admit is still the case most of the time when you are controlling the characters. When you can't see the floor, fine, direct control is available. If you want to avoid confusing people by having too many control schemes then just hide an "enable point & click" option away in the config screens and have it disabled by default.

The new season looks great and obviously a different control paradigm is needed specifically for things like the psychic powers - but can't you at least leave an option of point & click for the times when it would still work? ;)
  • edited March 2010
    serializer wrote: »
    What I would love to see, is point & click being still enabled for scenes where the floor is on-camera, which you've got to admit is still the case most of the time when you are controlling the characters. When you can't see the floor, fine, direct control is available.

Wouldn't that mean that in some screens, you can use point and click for part of the screen and have to suddenly switch to something else? That seems needlessly complicated.
  • edited March 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    Sadly, custumers are selfish, and they think they want to have exactly what they want.
    Maybe, or maybe we just want telltale to know what we liked and didn't like and give them an idea how big the group is that shares the same opinion. heck, it's the first time i've said anything on the matter.
    why shouldn't we say that we are really disappointed that point & click once again won't be an option?
    C'mon guys, most of us are used to play shooters or RTS with a lot of keyboard commands... why complain about using four arrows keys now?
    It's just ridiculous.
    because it's a type of game where i like to relax, enjoy the story and dialogue, think a bit and not worry about moving the character to a place. i just click where it should go and after a bit it'll be there.
    RTSs btw. i (as far as i remember) only play with mouse (aka point & click) too
    Nobody complained about Heavy Rain's control scheme... do you think it would be as immersive as if it was point and click?
    i haven't played heavy rain, but i did complain about dreamfall and broken sword 3.
    I think that many of us have the Grim Fandango/Escape From Monkey Island Syndome: that was a very bad control system with a lot of unuseful keys. Since then, everytime direct control is mentioned anyone screams in horror
    i haven't played either yet (yesyes shame on me, yaddayadda), so it isn't that for me. well ok maybe from the other games with direct controls, but in general, as i said, i don't like it much.

anyway, i will use wasd or possibly my x360 controller
  • edited March 2010
    Crrash wrote: »
    Maybe, or maybe we just want telltale to know what we liked and didn't like and give them an idea how big the group is that shares the same opinion. heck, it's the first time i've said anything on the matter.
    why shouldn't we say that we are really disappointed that point & click once again won't be an option?
    Nope, you should. And no-one here is going to blame you for saying you like point&click and being sad for it to go.

It get's a little more problematic if you start telling TTG are liars, implenting it should be "easy", TTG is lazy for not implenting it, there is no way it wouldn't work and stuff like that...
  • edited March 2010
    Or just reiterate the same points over and over again without listening, or come in and say things like "is it just me, or is the only reason they're getting rid of point and click to make the games more console friendly?" like that hasn't been discussed a hundred times already.

Basically I think people should do a quick search before they assume that their points have never been brought up before.
  • edited March 2010
    Or just reiterate the same points over and over again without listening, or come in and say things like "is it just me, or is the only reason they're getting rid of point and click to make the games more console friendly?" like that hasn't been discussed a hundred times already.

Basically I think people should do a quick search before they assume that their points have never been brought up before.
  • edited March 2010
    i haven't played heavy rain, but i did complain about dreamfall and broken sword 3.

Ugh! Both also have the disadvantage that you can die. I can't count how many times I died knowing exactly what I was supposed to do, but unable to do it due to how bad the controls were. That shouldn't happen in adventure games.
  • edited March 2010
    RTSs btw. i (as far as i remember) only play with mouse (aka point & click) too

Technically, for most RTS, you CAN play without using a single hotkey, but I'd like to see anyone beat the game (or win a single multiplayer match) only using mouse control, as it makes it substantially more difficult to do anything in any sort of timely manner, and in an RTS, efficiency is everything.
  • edited March 2010
    Well, I rarely play MP matches, but even in SP Ctrl+[Number Key] is pretty much invaluable.
  • edited March 2010
    It maybe doesn't fall under interface, but can we combine items like in Monkey Island and do we have to use that wee combine-o-matic system or can we just drop one inventory item onto another like in the days of yore?
  • edited March 2010
    JedExodus wrote: »
    It maybe doesn't fall under interface, but can we combine items like in Monkey Island and do we have to use that wee combine-o-matic system or can we just drop one inventory item onto another like in the days of yore?

From the secrety privaty forum: there is no item combination, apparently.
  • edited March 2010
    JedExodus wrote: »

They said somewhere that item combination will not be in Devil's Playhouse, and was specially made for Monkey Island just because it's such a common thing in MI games to combine items to solve puzzles.
    Avistew wrote: »
    From the secrety privaty forum: there is no item combination, apparently.

Curses! You beat me by seconds!
  • edited March 2010

• NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010

heh... the sad part is that it's the same guys in each thread saying "is it just me, or..."
  • edited March 2010

I think if you do a search you'll find that this point has come up before numerous times...ohhhh sass! :p

Anyways, point taken
  • edited March 2010
    lololol point n click owns lololol

idiocy, I say.

IDIOCY!
  • edited March 2010
    I was replaying the first monkey island recently and I realized how I would just constantly click on one side of the screen to keep guybrush to continually move. (This is especially the case when it comes to pier area in the town.) I honestly think that point and click is more straining than wasd or direct control. Not only that, but when you have point and click, you're either limited to having a stagnant environment or one that is hard to navigate.

Point and click definitely has its place, but I seriously don't know what's the hubbub all about.
  • edited March 2010
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    I was replaying the first monkey island recently and I realized how I would just constantly click on one side of the screen to keep guybrush to continually move. (This is especially the case when it comes to pier area in the town.) I honestly think that point and click is more straining than wasd or direct control. Not only that, but when you have point and click, you're either limited to having a stagnant environment or one that is hard to navigate.

Point and click definitely has its place, but I seriously don't know what's the hubbub all about.

Or you could take a more recent example and look at Sam & Max Season 2 or even SBCG4AP. Point-and-click was there as well as a 'Click-and-Hold' mechanic for walking. If you had a large location to walk along, you held the mouse button down and Sam/Strong Bad would keep walking until the mouse button was released. I guess the evolution of that would be 'Click-and-Drag' (I prefer 'Click-and-Hold').
  • edited March 2010
    You know, that still doesn't change my stance on point and click.

Also, those controls were pretty much click and drag, except involving ground.
  • edited March 2010
    So, I guess point & click is really out... Well, that a damn shame. Still, Telltale has every right to do so.

They want to pursue a "more cinematic experience" for their games.

Well, it doesn't get more cinematic than Guybrush running down stairs towards me & getting stuck against the camera in a jerking - not off - motion. That REALLY dragged me into the game.

Still, I bet it's for the greater good. The greater good of my wallet, for starters, as I absolutely refuse to pay for a faulty product.

What I REALLY find funny is people who don't even work for Telltale excusing this control scheme by citing examples of other game genres...

Well, you can't play an FPS like you would an adventure game. You can't play an MMO like you'd play an ARPG. So why do I have to play an adventure game like a bloody half-assed platformer badly ported to PC?

I was kinda hoping you wouldn't pursue this new path with such zealotry & that you'd give Sam & Max a break, seeing as you released two seasons under the "Sam & MAX is BACK! In 3D AND point n' click" banner. That IS how you introduced yourselves back then, isn't it? As the saviours of a dying genre, the POINT & CLICK adventure.

I'm currently playing the second season of Sam & Max and I can't, for the life of me, find anything wrong with it. Sure, it feels like a game... it doesn't have a cinematic atmosphere... do you guys like Mr. Bean? Or maybe you have any other favourite programme that you absolutely LOVED watching as little kids who later suffered adaptations to films, the big screen? Or how about Asterix, maybe you love the albums, and find the cartoons only slightly more exciting than watching orange paint dry?

You see, there is different media mediums & and it has been proven again & again that what works in one format is absolute crap in another. Case in point, you have maybe half a dozen "cinematic" camera angles in TOMI & they're absolute crap.

Do feel free to expand on such a concept. Maybe one day you'll release "games" we can watch instead of play, who knows? Never been done before, that'd really be a first.

I actually thought of re-purchasing TOMI. I finished the first chapter & really couldn't get myself to play the second. It just seemed to much work. But, it was Monkey Island. So, after months & months of having nothing to do with it, I... well, I got a... a demo. And I found myself being drawn to the story. Especially in the parts where it felt like a GAME, as opposed to a weird cinematic experience. And so, by the end of the fourth chapter I was really considering donating my hard earned money so that Telltale could have my support on continuing to make great games.

However, I really can't see myself playing that ever again. Looking back, the frustration far outweighed the pleasure. The struggle against the barriers to enter the boat of the dead are more vivid than any wonderfully witty sexual innuendo in the entire game.

And so, I'll give any further "direct-controlled", "cinematic" "experiences" a miss.

We can do business again, should you guys decide to release games that feel like games, play like games & stop being the Fellini of the game industries & release a good, solid Commando style game that even we, the philistine art challenged with low IQs can appreciate fully.

Good day sirs & missusses, and thank you for your time.

Cheers!
  • edited March 2010
    Jeez, I feel bad for Yare.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.