Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse - control and interface discussion thread.

[TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
edited April 2010 in Sam & Max
You know the drill.

Any other control/UI threads that spring up will be merged into this one or deleted.

Lackey wrote: »
Can I just point and click to move around?

If you click on something, you will walk to it before using it. Clicking on the ground doesn't do anything.

I really miss just being able to click where I want to go. Why can't you include that in addition to all the other schemes?

There are threads discussing this all over the forum. What it comes down to is this: Making a game support point-and-click imposes strict requirements on level design and cinematography. We don't want to work within those requirements, so we dropped point-and-click.

JedExodus wrote: »
Has click and drag survived from ToMI guys?

Yes.

Gman5852 wrote: »
Just out of curiosity, are you allowed to use WASD controls like TOMI.

WASD, arrow keys, and numpad are all supported.

Avistew wrote: »
Do you click or do you select it with the keyboard? Or something else?

On the PC, you click to select things. Unless you're using a gamepad.

Pale Man wrote: »
Gamepad support on PC? :D:D:D

Yes. If you use a gamepad on the PC, it will control the same as it does on PS3.

Diduz wrote: »
Is the gamepad support on PC limited to the Xbox 360 controller or pretty much every win-compatible joypad is supported?

It should work with any gamepad. <-- PROBABLY WRONG: I think that the engine supports Xbox and Logitech controllers, everything else is questionable. Some forum users claim that a third-party program called "padmapper" will allow any joystick to work, but I have not tried it first hand.

Diduz wrote: »
May I control the game entirely through keyboard?

You must use the mouse to select things on the PC.

Hotspot highlighting!

Hotspot highlighting is no longer tied to your graphic quality setting. I believe it is limited to gamepad controls, however, as it is tied in with the way you select things in that mode. Pressing the equivalent of "right-trigger" will make hotspots show up.

Tjibbbe wrote: »
Yare, could you tell us how dialogue works this time around? Will we see something like this in de PC-version (looks spiffy!), or do we get more traditional dialogue lines?:

sm301_dialogue.jpg

This interface is the same for both controller and pointer, though the way you interact with it differs to suit the control method you are using.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Looks good.
  • seanvanamanseanvanaman Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    good job guys! looks like it should
  • seanvanamanseanvanaman Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    oops... my name is nick! not shaun! signing out now... don't kill me...
  • edited March 2010
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    You know the drill.

We now return to Everybody Loves Yare.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    shaun should be happy I raised his post count by 2! this is what happens when you use someone elses computer. hmm... maybe i should have raised his kill count at TF2Lunch today...
  • edited March 2010
    But... I haven't played it yet, how am I supposed to complain about the controls and interface? I need some credibility.
  • edited March 2010
    Wait is there a trailer/gameplay video of the game that shows direct control?
  • edited March 2010
    Looks like a lot of bold changes.

I think there are going to be angry people.

I dunno, I think I like it.
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Wait is there a trailer/gameplay video of the game that shows direct control?

No, but one of the screenshots has some UI in it.
  • edited March 2010
    No, but one of the screenshots has Mass Effect's dialogue system in it.

Fixed :p
  • edited March 2010
    Wonder what that first-person glimpse in the trailer was all about... maybe a Max-eye-view? Consider me very intrigued!
  • edited March 2010
    I see Dialogue trees! I'm happy
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    Fixed :p

There's some PS3 stuff in there, too.
  • edited March 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    There's some PS3 stuff in there, too.

I know, I'm just giving you guys a hard time. ;)
  • edited March 2010
    But... but my keyboard doesn't have all these weird keys! A square! A triangle! A circle! You ruined everything, now I have to buy a different keyboard!

More seriously, I can see that screenshot is from the PS version, but what's the equivalent for computers? Do you click or do you select it with the keyboard? Or something else?
    edited March 2010
    More seriously, I can see that screenshot is from the PS version, but what's the equivalent for computers? Do you click or do you select it with the keyboard? Or something else?

You click to select things on the PC.

...er, unless you're using a gamepad.
  • edited March 2010
  • edited March 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    I see Dialogue trees! I'm happy

I second that.

I found the direct control interface in W&G a bit odd at first, but that's because I spent the last two and a half years clicking my bony index finger to carpal tunnel death. I'll get used to the new interface I'm sure, so long as they keep the dialogue trees but it looks like that's not going to be an issue :)
    edited March 2010
    JedExodus wrote: »

Yes.
  • edited March 2010
    You click to select things on the PC.

...er, unless you're using a gamepad.

Gamepad support on PC? :D:D:D
  • edited March 2010
    Yes.

Hoorah! My nephew likes to play with the mouse!
  • edited March 2010
    Yes.

Until this second, I could find nothing to complain about :P

(what's a gamepad? Is it a game controller? Does that mean the game is playable with one?)
  • edited March 2010
    Huzzah! I preordered, now I can't wait to see how awesome the controls are.
    edited March 2010
    Until this second, I could find nothing to complain about :P

(what's a gamepad? Is it a game controller? Does that mean the game is playable with one?)

Controller/gamepad are the same thing. The game was built to support a controller, and in fact if you use a controller on the PC you will have the same interface and controls as a PS3 player.

Minus the cross, triangle, circle, and square button graphics, of course.
  • edited March 2010
    Controller/gamepad are the same thing. The game was built to support a controller, and in fact if you use a controller on the PC you will have the same interface and controls as a PS3 player.

Minus the cross, triangle, circle, and square button graphics, of
    course.

You know, It took me a while to accpet the controls but in fact like the idea, I can use the game pad to play Sam and Max, I think thats a great Idea, and I can't wait for it...allright i think thats enough sucking up for now.
  • edited March 2010
    Thanks. I'll try that. It might be more practical (to me) than using my keyboard.
    Although I guess I'll try both to compare.
  • edited March 2010
    Yare, could you tell us how dialogue works this time around? Will we see something like this in de PC-version (looks spiffy!), or do we get more traditional dialogue lines?:

sm301_dialogue.jpg
  • edited March 2010
    It looks like we will be able to choose dialogue using the arrow keys/wasd as well as Point and click
    edited March 2010

sm301_dialogue.jpg

This interface is the same for both controller and pointer, though the way you interact with it differs to suit the different control methods.
  • edited March 2010
    edited March 2010

• edited March 2010
    AWESOME! next month can't come soon enough for multiple reasons
  • edited March 2010

So, that's WASD, arrow keys, numpad, Click&Drag, gamepad... Any other option I'm forgetting?

Man, you're really giving us a lot of choice with this aren't you?
  • edited March 2010
    I approve of all changes.

Good job.
  • NickTTGNickTTG Telltale Alumni
    edited March 2010
    So, that's WASD, arrow keys, numpad, Click&Drag, gamepad... Any other option I'm forgetting?

Man, you're really giving us a lot of choice with this aren't you?

Its been like that since at least monkey. Possibly Wallace too!
  • edited March 2010
    NickTTG wrote: »
    Its been like that since at least monkey. Possibly Wallace too!

I don't think Wallace had click and drag.

And I asked about using a controller several times for Monkey Island and never got an answer >.> I would have done it otherwise. And complained a lot less.
  • edited March 2010

sm301_dialogue.jpg

I'm curious as to what the "Skunkape" caption means. I mean I know it refers to the character, but I don't see him anywhere in the screenshot. Maybe he acts as a hub to different locations?
  • edited March 2010
    Interface looks slick and sexy. awesome job!
  • edited March 2010
    Detective wrote: »
    I'm curious as to what the "Skunkape" caption means. I mean I know it refers to the character, but I don't see him anywhere in the screenshot. Maybe he acts as a hub to different locations?
    I thought it was a dialogue choice.
  • edited March 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    I thought it was a dialogue choice.

Oh! That would make sense. I guess I'm still not used to the new dialogue trees. Now I feel silly. :p
Sign in to comment in this discussion.