Sam & Max The Devil's Playhouse - control and interface discussion thread.

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Wait, what was his name and how was it offensive? I hadn't been in here, I had just been browsing and saw my name. I simply had to get involved here. Even I understand that there are lines in forum etiquette that should never be crossed.

EDIT: Oh, my mistake. I saw the post in question. Wow... rather blatant.

Also, I agree with Rather Dashing, I have only been striking Apple at their faults... but this is not the thread for my Apple hatred.
  • edited April 2010
    Hey now! My blows are relatively level! And I don't even have a horse!
  • edited April 2010
    confused0053.gif

You mean, you guys ACTUALLY missed the meaning of it??? You weren't just turning a blind eye, maybe a chuckle, like I assumed?

I... need to sit down. Oh, wait, I am sitting down.

Still, it's not THAT rude. Certainly not offensive.

Bah. So that means I can't post Steel Panther YouTubes, either?

Cheers!
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Gertcha wrote: »
    confused0053.gif

You mean, you guys ACTUALLY missed the meaning of it??? You weren't just turning a blind eye, maybe a chuckle, like I assumed?

Cheers!

I don't mean to completely not flatter you at all, but I never gave your username enough thought to try and pronounce it. I don't think anyone did. Sorry to disappoint, dude.
  • edited April 2010
    Hey now! My blows are relatively level! And I don't even have a horse!

I don't even have a seahorse!
    confused0053.gif

Cheers!

It is pretty rude for a forum that doesn't carry any 18+ advisories, you know. Furthermore, your parasitic actions against common decency seem to have earned you the ire of the TellTale team... those guys who make those games you probably enjoy.
  • edited April 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    I don't mean to completely not flatter you at all, but I never gave your username enough thought to try and pronounce it. I don't think anyone did. Sorry to disappoint, dude.

Hey, I'm not that full of myself. I kid, yes I am.

But it's just that I didn't even think you had to look twice at it.

Still... :cool:

Cheers!
  • edited April 2010
    It is pretty rude for a forum that doesn't carry any 18+ advisories, you know. Furthermore, your parasitic actions against common decency seem to have earned you the ire of the TellTale team... those guys who make those games you probably enjoy.

I play their games. I don't play with them. Big difference.

By the way, name's Sylicker.

Imap... hmmm...

See above.

Cheers!
  • edited April 2010
    Incidentally, I hadn't noticed either. Or rather, I had read it as pus for some reason.
    So I though, you know, that's disgusting, but never thought it was rude.

And that's all I have to say on the subject.
  • edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Incidentally, I hadn't noticed either. Or rather, I had read it as pus for some reason.
    So I though, you know, that's disgusting, but never thought it was rude.

Oh. Great. Now I have it all mixed up in my mind.

Thank you very much, Avie.

Cheers!
  • edited April 2010
    We can call you Cunnilingus Man, if it makes you feel better.
  • edited April 2010
    Ignatius... he was banned for it. I don't think it's very wise to insist on that.
  • edited April 2010
    On one hand, I hope the new incarnation is banned, and this guy does his pathetic trolling somewhere else.

On the other hand, at least there hasn't been whining about the controls for a couple pages =)
  • edited April 2010
    To go back in thread: I say again that Drag'n'Drop is great.
    Come on, it's not too difficult to use... it takes 15 minutes to get used.
    It's like the first time you played a first person shooter with a mouse: it was difficult, but now how can you live without it?
    Give it a try, and you will experience a true cinematic adventure without complains!

And, by the way, adventures with direct controls exist from 1992 - Alone in the dark - and at the time it was a great success. You've had 18 years to get yourself used to it! :D
  • edited April 2010
    Agreed.

Is there anything on this topic to be said that hasn't yet been said?
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Yare doesn't like my username, despite being here since 2006 & nobody caring about it.

You didn't do anything noteworthy until today.
  • edited April 2010
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »

I do believe that that is what is called a burn by modern surface dwellers.
  • edited April 2010
    I do believe that that is what is called a burn by modern surface dwellers.

Yare's not a surface dweller, he's a programmer.
  • edited April 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »
    I do believe that that is what is called a "burn" by modern Pale Men.
    edited April 2010
    Pale Man wrote: »

I smirked.
  • edited April 2010

You're absolutely right.

I'll get Team Fortress 2 & start doing something with my life right now.

Thank you for the wake up call, Yare. :)

Cheers!
    edited April 2010
    Stop posting emoticons after saying something snarky.
  • edited April 2010
    So hey, how are people planning to play The Devil's Playhouse?

I'm of course going to try the keyboard/mouse combination, but I've recently purchased a used, wired 360 controller online, so I may play it like that if those controls feel more natural.

Delivery Estimate says it should be here from the 14th through the 29th, though, so I may not have it in time for The Penal Zone.
  • edited April 2010
    So hey, how are people planning to play The Devil's Playhouse?

Still haven't bought a controller. Still contemplating one. But actually, I'm pretty sure I'll end up with arrows + mouse.
  • edited April 2010
    I'll probably be using the WSAD & mouse combo, but might try it with my wired 360 controller to see how it feels.
  • edited April 2010
    I got a gamepad back when W&G came out., so I'll be trying that here too. It was actually a bit of a disappointment not being able to use it with Tales.
  • edited April 2010
    Well I actually liked the click and drag they used in ToMI. the WASD movement mechanism was a bit too clunky for my tastes but once I got used to just using the mouse it was alot better
  • edited April 2010
    I'm planning on using my gamepad. If for some reason that doesn't work, I'll get my husband at the controls (we're going to play together).
    Although that might not work very well either, I bet I'll stress him out a lot by constantly asking him to go where he's not currently going or to do something he's not currently doing.

Hopefully the gamepad will work fine. It looks pretty much like a PS controller so that should be fine.
  • edited April 2010
    xpadder makes any game compatible with your gamepad.
    edited April 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I'm planning on using my gamepad. If for some reason that doesn't work ...

I didn't write the joystick recognition code, but If I recall correctly... Xbox controllers and anything by Logitech should be recognized. I guess xpadder can be used to make other brands work? I've never tried it.
  • edited April 2010
    I didn't write the joystick recognition code, but If I recall correctly... Xbox controllers and anything by Logitech should be recognized. I guess xpadder can be used to make other brands work? I've never tried it.

Well, it's a Logitech one so that should work. Thanks.
  • edited April 2010
    WASD keys for movement and mouse for selecting objects. Click and drag doesn't sit well with me.
  • edited April 2010
    ----^ Same here. :(
  • edited April 2010
    No game controller for me. I'm going to try using my trusty Light Pen.
  • edited April 2010
    WASD and the mouse.

Gamepads are for console-players. I am a PC gamer pur sang... :D
  • edited April 2010
    I haven't watched any of the gameplay videos except for a little bit of the iPad promo video. In that one, I saw something looking like an on-screen analog stick. Is that an iPad-only feature, or is that how the click-and-drag is represented onscreen in the PC version as well? Seems like a step forward from the hula hoop

Also, does the character move faster based on how far you move the mouse from the start point?
  • edited April 2010
    I'd put money on the "virtual analog stick" being the PC version's new click-and-drag method as well, rather than it being exclusive to the iPad version.

And yes, I agree it is a little more elegant than the system in ToMI.

Still, after hearing so many say that control pads feel so good to play with, who am I to disagree?
  • edited April 2010
    I think gamepad will be the way to go, personally.
    edited April 2010
    JJoyce wrote: »
    I'd put money on the "virtual analog stick" being the PC version's new click-and-drag method as well, rather than it being exclusive to the iPad version.

And yes, I agree it is a little more elegant than the system in ToMI.

This was one of the iPad changes that I backported to the PC version. It's just a UI change, though. Click+Drag has always functioned as a virtual analog stick.
  • edited April 2010
    This was one of the iPad changes that I backported to the PC version. It's just a UI change, though. Click+Drag has always functioned as a virtual analog stick.
    Would you be able to say any other changes that got backported to the PC version? Would any of them be interesting and notable to non-programmer customers?
  • edited April 2010
    Fair enough.

Though I'd say not having an actual circle/belt/hula hoop depicted on screen really does something for the feel even though it's using the same mechanism.

To me anyway, there was just something a bit "off" to the implementation in ToMI since it felt a little like dragging Guybrush around by his belt.

No doubt there'll be those that complain about having a virtual thumbstick pop-up as the visual indicator for click-and-drag, but...there's always at least one in every crowd.

BTW, Yare, kudos to whoever stole Hit the Road's 'use' icon for Season 3. Seeing its return warmed a very jaded heart. Now if you guys can get back to icon based conversation...I want my duck back for non sequiturs (and bon mots), dammit.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.