The Legendary General Art Thread

Comments

• edited July 2012
    monstro.png

Monstro.
  • edited July 2012
    There's also that painting from Minecraft....

graham.jpg
  • edited July 2012
    Was bored.

Decided to make a guy out of random rubbish lying around, and make a little stopmotion animation with my 3DS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJRVNeUrdOE&feature=youtube_gdata
  • edited July 2012
    How is that related to Minecraft?
  • edited July 2012
    Yeah, I dno. Near as I can tell it's a painting from a custom hi-res texturepack. There are two paintings in the vanilla minecraft textures with Graham on them but this one is neither of them.
  • edited July 2012
    Yes it is! It's been cropped into the texture set itself.
  • edited July 2012
    Hello everyone my name is Brian, and I hope this is okay to do, but I just wanted to take the time to post some of my artwork, I will have more video game artwork up soon, and I will also have some Sam & Max artwork up as soon as possible but till then, here are some samples of my latest works.

here is the scan for my first ever Galactus image...it's a 14 x 17 haven't done something this size in awhile.

scanned the top and bottom separately, both pieces were put together by britt...it's a tad bit pixelated when printed out, but I am very happy with it!

this is also a tribute to a comic book page a sort of recreation as you would say, also it looks much better in person i find, but that with every piece.
    Galactus.jpg

Ric Flair caricature drawing.
    PICT0021.jpg
    Walter White caricature drawing.
    Picture015.jpg
    Lego Batman and Robin
    Photo0690.jpg
    Photo0687.jpg
    some random quick superhero sketch card roughs.
    Photo0666.jpg
  • edited July 2012
    TypH, dude...

Do you have a DeviantArt account? Because those drawings are AWESOME.
  • edited July 2012
    That specific picture you posted is nowhere in the game files. All there are are these two which look nothing like that one.
  • edited July 2012
    Umm, Musically Inspired, that second pic you posted looks like it is an even lower resolution crop of the above artwork. Look at the ground/windowsill color and the black background. It's also Graham is in the exact same pose.

You can find out more here;

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Paintings

Canvas_32-2_3.png

Here is what they took that second Graham painting from (modified though in version you posted, but it was inspiration);

The%20stage%20is%20set.jpg
  • edited July 2012
    TypH, dude...

Do you have a DeviantArt account? Because those drawings are AWESOME.
    thanks StrongBrush, glad you like the artwork :D, and yes I do it is http://www.artoftyph.deviantart.com/ I don't have anywhere near all my artwork on there though, I spend most of my time going on forums and posting art that way, i also have a facebook fan page which can be found at
    http://www.facebook.com/ArtofTypH
  • edited July 2012
    My point still stands, that specific picture is no where in the Minecraft resources.
  • edited July 2012
    Sam&Max Freelance Police fan art, I wasn't sure what kind of piece I was going to make for them, but after thinking for a bit and doing up a couple of rough sketches, I knew I had to do the scene with them on the car from the intro of the cartoon, I hope you all enjoy it!
    sammax.jpg
  • edited July 2012
    :( But it's cropped!
  • edited July 2012
    Yes, its a small portion cropped from the higher res version of the artwork.

I.E. the higher res artwork is the original artwork. The version in minecraft is just a cropped portion of the original artwork in much lower resolution.

As its states on the link I gave above the images were taken from paintings by Krisotoffer Zetterstrand, and he was the one who created ingame paintings as well;
    There currently are 26 paintings in version 1.2.5. These are mostly based on paintings by Kristoffer Zetterstrand, who also created the Minecraft versions.

Painting_new_1x2_man.png

graham.jpg

The link I gave shows the ingame paintings by Kristoffer Zetterstrand, and his paintings he based them on.
  • edited July 2012
    I'm just confused why you posted the original which isn't immediately recognizable instead of the one that is actually in the game.
  • edited August 2012
    Hello, I've wanted to share this. But I've had no one to share it with.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3128&d=1343916325
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Hello, I've wanted to share this. But I've had no one to share it with.

attachment.php?attachmentid=3128&d=1343916325
    Really nice. I like the way the Tardis looks like it's been through some serious damage (she's definitely going to have to regenerate after that :D). What medium did you use to make this?
  • edited August 2012
    Thank you. The back ground was air brushed, I just sprayed down the planets and then put tin cans over them, and painted the back ground black. The ground was done the same way. Amy and the TARDIS were hand drawn. Very poorly drawn and then I used GIMP to color them and redefine them. Using photo references I colored them. Amy is actually a sprite. I like how the Tardis turned out too, the decay , rot is actually the jpeg under neath it. I took digital pictures of the drawings, I don't have a scanner. I kept it and worked with it because I liked it too. I wanted to add the fourth doctor but thought it was too much.
  • edited August 2012
    Oh yeah... I should've done that, shouldn't I?
  • edited August 2012
    Some work in progress, posting to motivate me to finish this.

tanyawip.jpg
  • edited August 2012
    You need to finish that -- she can't hold that pose for much longer!
  • edited August 2012
    Farlander, beautiful sketch. I really like your portfolio. Thanks!
  • edited August 2012
    Farlander, beautiful sketch. I really like your portfolio. Thanks!

Thanks, I appreciate it :)

And on a side note... almost... there... (obviously there are some parts that need refining and fixing, like that annoying incredibly black shadow spot in the centre, but I'll get to it)

tanyawip2.jpg
  • exoexo
    edited August 2012
    who friggin cares? i swear, this is one of the most anal retentive boards I have ever been too. Anyone care to debate the whether a painting of Connor qualifies as a KQ painting or if it is just a spinoff?
  • edited August 2012
    Well, here it is. Finished.

On a photo some things just don't look right :( So I'll post a better version when I'll get my hands on a scanner.
  • edited August 2012
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3142&stc=1&d=1344891010
  • edited August 2012
    Not sure if anyone checks the Monkey Island boards very regularly anymore, so I'm posting this art here, hope that's ok!

monkey_island_nesting_dolls_line_up_front_by_leonieisaacs-d5bs6xg.jpg

More pictures on my dA: http://leonieisaacs.deviantart.com/gallery/38982732
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited August 2012
    I saw the work in progress over there. That's hilarious.
  • edited August 2012
    Lmao...
  • edited August 2012
    That's pretty awesome , I love those.

I was working on a audrey hepburn piece but can't decide whether or not to have the deer.

audrey_hepburn_with_deer_by_brianjosephkory-d5c18m6.jpg
  • edited August 2012
    Well, I don't do art much, but I recently drew this little sketch and then decided to have a go with some colored pencils. Here's the result:

cWrkd.png

Yeah, I kinda messed up on the eyes... and the collar... and the shading... and the mouth...

Honestly, I'm just happy that his arms ended up approximately the same size. Because that would be a first in my drawings.
  • edited August 2012
    Looks to me that you're developing your own style. I like how you did the hair and the skin. If your sort of new to color like I am , I think you should try water colors too. I feel that water colors and colored pencils, crayons is a great place to start.

Use the cheap water colors in my opinion, the ones that you get with the coloring books. I like to use those for the stuff I share.
  • edited August 2012
    I was considering water colors initially, but I'm kinda lazy and there was a pack of colored pencils in the same art box, so I went with those.

The main problem I have with watercolors is that the way the color pools up makes it almost like a gamble as to whether the shading will look good or not. And this is probably because I have no idea how to use them properly.

Of course, my problem with colored pencils is that there's a fairly limited range in what you can do as far as mixing. I tried a bit with his eyes, but the green there still looks off from what I was trying for.
  • edited August 2012
    Ah, coloring... Unless it's a somewhat cartoony style, then I purely suck at it. I envy everybody who can do it properly.

Which reminds me. You should all see this. Made with 8 ballpoint pens. The only thing that I can say is... nothing, really. Well, maybe 'HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!', but that about covers it. I want to draw like that too... :(
  • edited August 2012
    Farlander wrote: »
    Ah, coloring... Unless it's a somewhat cartoony style, then I purely suck at it. I envy everybody who can do it properly.

Which reminds me. You should all see this. Made with 8 ballpoint pens. The only thing that I can say is... nothing, really. Well, maybe 'HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!', but that about covers it. I want to draw like that too... :(

That is scary good. :p

The only way I could do that would be pixel by pixel. There's no way I could do that with pens.
  • edited August 2012
    Whaaaaaa

I could never do that. Even if I had a million years and a store full of ballpoint pens and instruction books.
  • edited August 2012
    As some one who struggles as an artist...I think it's important that you find what works for you. That's what I tell myself and I try to remove any obstacles I see. I tell myself there is more than one way to skin a donkey.

I'm beginning to believe that It's not learning "how" to create something , it's creating it that matters. That's what artist do , they create, especially ones that find their own methods, style to making art. That's what they do, they create. So don't limit yourself in what you can't do, but build off what you can do. That's the definition of creativity! And I think as long as you have that inspiration and creative thinking then you can create anything you put your mind to.

To do something like that, get that look I would have to do it pixel by pixel, but I still feel that I could capture it. It wouldn't be easy, but it would be possible. But it would take me a very long time, probably a full day.
    Look at it this way, if everything is digital now and printed off, then it doesn't really matter how you put something together, just as long as the end result has the desired effect.

:)

But, I'm not trying to be preachy, what I'm suggesting is that you see past such limitations that I used to let myself be held back from. That is my philosophy on art, and I only need to post it once.

I try to focus on the picture , and the feeling of the picture. And the effect of the picture. Even if you can't paint, or draw like that, once you get down to pixels, anything is possible.
  • edited August 2012
    Farlander wrote: »

Holy crap. And this guy is just some random lawyer who likes doodling with ballpoint pens. How does this even happen?
  • edited August 2012
    Well, I was more going at the realism in the picture, too. I mean I have done pretty complicated things with pixel-like substances (cross-stitch), but never with such a limitation. Usually, I've got thirty or forty colors for that.

I think I'll stick to my oddly cartoony stuff for drawing. That and composing.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.