The Legendary General Art Thread

Comments

• VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited August 2012
    You can (and should!) compose pictures as well, you know.

The artist in question is just stunning. But this linked piece is about the only really satisfying human portrait he has done. The rest has oddly unnatural skin colors and tends to overemphasize expression wrinkles, resulting in a crass Steven Hawking vibe (sorry!!). Guess this media is extremely hard to get under control. When color intensity and value nuances are not that important in his motif choice, he excels with every picture (His wildlife. Oh. My. God.). And most impressive of all, he works in VERY small dimensions.

When you start drawing, you concentrate on the drawing. Painting comes way, way after drawing. Inexpensive drawing paper, a standard pencil, nothing fancy. And starting out with watercolors is nothing I'd ever recommend. The medium is known, used and revered for its unpredictability explicitly. Nothing for beginners. Colored pencils give you control. They're a good start into the realm of color, I think.
  • edited August 2012
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3188&stc=1&d=1346117390

Day 4 , I'm learning, tomorrow will be day 5 but I start college courses tomorrow.
  • edited August 2012
    Went to the Star Wars con this year and wanted to make something for Mark Hamill to sign. I figured Luke was a little cliche, so...

229100_10151189722874359_937137501_n.jpg
  • edited August 2012
    Fantastic art work! Thank you for sharing. I can't give you a scholarly critique but I like it. I don't know anything about art...
  • edited August 2012
    Went to the Star Wars con this year

aw i wanted to go to star wars celebration so bad :(
  • edited August 2012
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    aw i wanted to go to star wars celebration so bad :(

It was great. Granted, I did spend half of it in line so I may not be the best judge...
  • edited September 2012
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3220&stc=1&d=1346515134

I don't like how this one turned out.:)
  • edited September 2012
    My first two oils.

The second I hope is appropriate .
  • edited September 2012
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3250&stc=1&d=1347054016

I like Doctor Who, but haven't been through all the series enough to call myself a Whovian. I'm working on it. This is mixed media, water colors, color pencil, wax crayon, oil paints and charcoal . :)

Because of its dimensions, I had to scan it in several separate pieces :( So the full version you can see divide lines

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3249&d=1347053819
  • edited September 2012
    I'm glad she's LICE FREE. ;)
  • edited September 2012
    WarpSpeed wrote: »
    I'm glad she's LICE FREE. ;)

:p

It was supposed to be police telephone free. But I couldn't fit it. When I noticed I messed up I thought it would be too much to rub it out and try to fix it. So I left it. I could of painted over it. But people see it and they ask me what it means. :)
  • edited September 2012
    Didn't show this off yet, I think, but maybe I did.

2864dcac77f88707785b098e197be2b743881e44.png

Batman and Robin inspired by Tezuka.
  • edited September 2012
    Beautiful traditional media , Secret Fawful. Very clean too. I don't draw that clean. Thanks for sharing, very nicely done.
  • edited September 2012
    The best drawings to come from The Scribble Game so far! :D

(Ever played it? Its simple. Close your eyes, scribble, then make a picture from the scribble. Needless to say despite my lack of ability, I can come up with some interesting drawings this way! :D)

Qc8n0.jpg

EDIT: A little better? (Doesn't take up all the screen now! XD)

My Deviantart (I decided to resurrect it for now... XD) has the rest.

http://retrovortex.deviantart.com/
  • edited September 2012
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3287&stc=1&d=1348022191

This has issues but I'm getting better. It had to be scanned in pieces and put back together...
  • edited September 2012
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3291&stc=1&d=1348160281

I don't know if I like this one, it's a bad scann too
  • edited September 2012
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3313&stc=1&d=1348420731

This is to be painted, colored. :)
  • edited September 2012
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3327&stc=1&d=1348594870
  • edited November 2012
    Those Lego Sierra All-Stars are amazing... amazing enough to be heartbreakingly unattainable...
  • edited December 2012
    You know what thread needs to be bumped?

The General Art Thread.

might_and_magic_iii__elf_by_klatuu_vii-d5602wr.jpg
  • edited December 2012
    Nice!

One of my recent t-shirt designs:

fellboy.png
  • edited December 2012
    I would hesitate to call this art, but I've been drawing stick figure comics of silly shit that happens in our DnD games.

e9bXd.png
  • edited December 2012
    I've been debating about whether or not to do custom bumper art for my videos. My main hesitation is my lack of ability to draw peoples faces, hands and feet. Oh, and perspective. Hmm.

Ah hell, I'll give it a go anyway. What's the worst that can happen?

EDIT: OK, gave it a go and here's what I came up with for 'The Crow: City of Angels'.

TheCrow-Scan_zpsff93a001.jpg
  • edited December 2012
    A digital painting I did for my sister's wedding.

tangled.png
  • edited December 2012
    a_very_slender_holdiay_by_strongbrush1-d5p5unn.jpg

Previously posted in the Whatever's on your Mind thread.
  • edited January 2013
    A drawing in progress of Masyaf Fortress from Assassin's Creed...

dscn03112.jpg

You know what I didn't think about when I started drawing a fortress in the mountains? HOW MUCH ****ING ROCK THERE WOULD BE!!!! By Odin's Beard!!! And to differentiate between all the different kinds of rock and layers... OF ROCKS... The contrast between rocks looks somewhat better in real life than on the photo... but still... there's just... too many rocks. Too many rocks.
  • edited January 2013
    Masyaf Fortress.

dscn03252.jpg
  • edited January 2013
    Thor vs. Pikachu. Coloring + better lightning bolts will come in later.

22276018.jpg
  • edited January 2013
    A digital painting I did for my sister's wedding.

Do you have a bigger version of this you could post or link to?
  • edited January 2013
    So can someone create some 'super-deformed' sprites of the King's Quest characters? Something akin to what you'd see in old SNES rpgs, or Lunar series?
  • edited January 2013
    Some Work in Progress stuff.

dscn03401.jpg
    dscn03441.jpg
  • edited January 2013
    Well, I recently went on a drawing binge and started drawing these tiny comics based on things that happened in DnD games, mainly starring the character I'm playing because all the horrible shit seems to happen to him. And by "horrible shit" I mean the party really has it in for this guy. Granted, he's kinda a horrible jerk, but it makes for a good story.

eAMXG3G.png

kFsVVpb.png

GujFM2o.png
  • edited February 2013
    Finished the drawing.

irinaturtureanu.jpg
    edited February 2013
    This needs a better scan. Contrasts are way too high; I imagine the actual piece to have far smoother gradation.

The arm looks a bit out of perspective (too short, in fact), is that based on a photograph?
  • edited February 2013
    The pose is based on a photograph with like the shittiest lighting ever. Ironic, considering that the scan indeed has messed up the contrast (but I don't have access to a scanner all the time, so I can't rescan it again quickly)
  • edited February 2013
    attachment.php?attachmentid=3679&stc=1&d=1360867612

Work in Progress
  • edited March 2013
    Alright lets compile all my free-hand attempts together

g41LxKH.jpg

2joK0P6.jpg

And just for Coolsome (and all you other Dragonball fans out there!):
    KT3YmwX.jpg
    edited March 2013
    Ah well... since it won't win half a butterfly on the Dreamfall Chapters art contest...

nywihj.jpg
  • JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited March 2013
    I've been working on a crossover between my webcomic Jenni and Pixie Furious' webcomic Conies for two years now (off-and-on, mostly off). I finally got it finished.

It has the Conies characters in three styles (Conies style, Jenni style, and pixel style). It's in a black and white format to match Conies (the Jenni comic was black and white too at the time when I started it).

jenni_comic_39__special__jenni_conies_crossover_by_jennibee-d5xo2rt.png
Sign in to comment in this discussion.