Sam and Max TF2 Items!

Comments

• edited April 2010
    How about including a single-use code on the collector's DVD to give a Steam account these items? I know its a long way off, but I'm sure that would make a lot of people happy.

Alternatively, make it some form of DLC available from Telltale to activate on Steam later down the line, for a nominal fee of a £1-2 or something. I'd be willing to spend a couple of quid to get these items. But please do make it possible for those who bought from here to get this somehow at some point.
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Gadesa wrote: »
    Any idea of how long it can take until i get them?

No clue. Do people already have them in-game? If you don't get yours when you log in you should email Valve/Steam support.
  • edited April 2010
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    No clue. Do people already have them in-game? If you don't get yours when you log in you should email Valve/Steam support.

Yeah, many people have them :S. Yes i'll do that thank you for quick response!
  • edited April 2010
    I'd actually rather have the hats and the reskinned weapon models, since I never have taken advantage of the getting the free physical copies. However, I probably won't send an email about it since it sounds like more trouble than it's really worth, even though I play TF2 almost every day. Instead I'll just claim my free copies of the other games now, even though I have no use for them.
  • edited April 2010
    I want the TF2 Items. However, I want the DVD. I have always bought directly from Telltale, to get the DVD version.

Please, do not do this to loyal customers. If I buy it on Steam, I should be able to get the DVD. There is really no reason not to.

This is a horrible spot you've put me in, and anyone else with OCD or that is a collector.

I BEG YOU.
  • edited April 2010
    Don't quote me on this, but I think thus far Telltale has given the DVD to anyone who can prove they're owners of the series, one way or another. I actually remember someone E-mailing their purchase record somehow and getting a DVD in the mail. (A TT rep clarifying this would be good, especially for Steam purchases)
  • edited April 2010
    Anyone know how long (aproximately) it takes for steam support to answer a question? Thanks.
  • edited April 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    If one of these two promos excites or upsets you to the point that you wish to switch to one or the other stores, write to support@telltalegames.com and someone can help you cancel or instate a TTG.com order.

Just in case I want to switch to the steam version: will this happen as a refund, so that I have to buy it a second time on steam?
    Because on steam I have to pay in Euro (32,99€) and via your store I was able to pay in Dollar (resulting in 26,36€).
  • edited April 2010
    I just launched TF2 and there they were, in my backpack.
  • edited April 2010
    Hmm... What if there was a place for us to type down our Sam and Max serial number in Team Fortress 2 to unlock the hats? Couldn't that work as an alternative?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Just in case I want to switch to the steam version: will this happen as a refund, so that I have to buy it a second time on steam?
    Because on steam I have to pay in Euro (32,99€) and via your store I was able to pay in Dollar (resulting in 26,36€).

It would almost certainly be a refund I'm afraid. I don't think we have a way of linking straight into Steam's system. Sorry!
  • edited April 2010
    There goes my "don't want to buy the same game twice" thing I posted in the blog item for the current PSN Store update...

And yes, I refuse a refund. I'll just buy it a second time. I'm that awesome. Or stupid, either way you take it.
  • edited April 2010
    Dear Telltale,
    Collector's DVD > virtual hats
    I think anyone would be hard pressed to dispute that.
    I have no issues with this arrangement and apologize to you on behalf of all the people who have made rude comments in reaction to it. Forgive them for they know not what they do, I assume they've been struck in the head recently and are still at least a little concussed.
    Yours truly,

Seepgood
  • edited April 2010
    Is there no chance you could talk to valve and see if you could get us the items somehow, without having to order the season directly from steam?
  • edited April 2010
    The hats are cool, but they don't warrant enough of a reason for me to switch my order. I mean, it's just a hat. Promotional hats are looked down upon in tf2 anyway, people only respect you if you earn a hat properly.

Sam and Max has been receiving ALOT of coverage on the Steam Store. It's been on the front page like every day, it's been in the news a bazillion times and now the tf2 items. Valve must be expecting a substantial revenue from this game because they're putting a lot of support behind it.
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    We're looking into something. No promises.
  • edited April 2010

Could you tell us if you're successful or not? I'm planning on waiting for the word and then buyin' again.

A factor that comes in; How much money is given to valve, and how much do you make out of it?
  • edited April 2010
    I would happily take the collectors DVD but considering shipping to the UK is expensive and TF2 is a game i play often i would rather take the items. I like the idea but its a shame you cant incorporate people who pre ordered through your site into this little deal. The main reason I pre ordered here was that I thought I would be getting the cool little things like the wallpapers, avatars etc. I only did this a few hours ago so i feel a little dissapointed that this tf2 stuff wasnt mentioned on steam or on telltales site at all so i could make the choice myself.
  • edited April 2010
    I've got over 200 games on Steam, but Telltale games I only buy from the source.

The preorder bonuses for SM3 didn't excite me (unlike those which made me pre-order TOMI). I would have preordered SM3 from TTG, however, if the TF2 items were included.

Sad.
  • edited April 2010
    Yeah, to be honest, I don't really feel like buying the game again, especially since I also didn't buy L4D2 just for that hat. So yeah.

And even then, I just like to have all the TTG games in one place, and that is here. And on my shelves. Okay, two places then.
  • edited April 2010
    Will wrote: »
    It would almost certainly be a refund I'm afraid. I don't think we have a way of linking straight into Steam's system. Sorry!

Thanks for the quick response. :)
    Just giving the price difference to Valve and only get 3 skins, isn't really an option for me. So I'll deffinitely keep my purchase at Telltale-store.
  • edited April 2010
    Of course, the Collector's DVD is better, in my opinion. I was a bit "jarateed" when I saw those TF2 items, but I like the pre-order bonus you get at the Telltale Store too.
    Also, congratulations on getting the game at Steam's front page and the tf2 blog - I hope more people can play this AWESOME series.
    Thanks a lot. :)
  • edited April 2010
    I'm laughing right now. I find this to be very very amusing. I'll look forward to seeing Sam and Max items in the game AT ALL; it doesn't have to be on my head or in my hands. The very fact that Sam and Max have sneaked into a Valve game is good enough for me. If I COULD get the items though, I wouldn't exactly be complaining.

Man. I am way too easy to please, I think.
  • edited April 2010
    I'm actually kinda glad I didn't preorder last night.

But, as a poster said before, if we gave picture proof that we bought it on Steam, could you (in anyway) unlock the games on our Telltale accounts?

Because if not, I have to decide between you guys or Steam, and that's hard to do.

Steam: Probably longer download times, but, three bonus items in the game I love.
    Telltale: Quicker download times, but risk of not fitting in with the cool kids, still, a neat DVD.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....
  • edited April 2010
    I'll ask, but I'm not sure if anything can be done about it. Our product keys don't unlock the Steam version of the game like some other titles do so they have no way to track who should get the items. It would probably need to be done manually, and I don't have any idea how that would even work.

Valve would know. (I know too... they'd provide you with keys to distribute, which we could enter into the Steam system, thus unlocking said items.)

I'm not upset, or anything. I get that this was you guys trying to do something cool. I will probably be trying to switch my order, if you can't work something out between you and VALVe. It's ok, either way.

What's this DVD? I don't remember seeing something about that when I preordered from you guys. Do I have to worry that you've sent something off to me already, or is that coming out when the last chapter comes out? I'd hate to get the DVD if I'm not 'eligible', seems not-right.
  • edited April 2010

Please keep us posted, as I can't afford to buy the game twice, and I won't buy either if it means missing out on content.
  • edited April 2010
    Coolgamer wrote: »
    Please keep us posted, as I can't afford to buy the game twice, and I won't buy either if it means missing out on content.

That's an unfortunate stance, and one that Telltale could simply view as a reason not to do something like this in the future.
  • edited April 2010
    Just figured I'd chime in... I realize that this might end up costing Telltale money, since games bought from them don't support the Steam service. I'd be willing to pay a small sum on top of what I've paid for the games (think of it as a 'collectors edition' cost) to obtain the items in TF2.
  • edited April 2010
    This is a promo running for Steam customers for this week. The TF2 hats are exclusive to the Steam store.

Telltale customers get the Collectors DVD, which is exclusive to the Telltale Store. Steam customers don't get the free physical copy, but they do get hats in Team Fortress.

If one of these two promos excites or upsets you to the point that you wish to switch to one or the other stores, write to support@telltalegames.com and someone can help you cancel or instate a TTG.com order.

About how long does it take to do this?

Also, will the fact that I already used my free episode coupon make a difference?

However, if you really want to delete the Bone game from my account, I don't care. I only got it because the two Bones games are the only two episodes I don't own, and I haven't actually played it yet (I've been busy).
    Seepgood wrote: »
    Dear Telltale,
    Collector's DVD > virtual hats
    I think anyone would be hard pressed to dispute that.

I dispute it. I would rather have the virtual hats and the convenience of Steam over a Collector's DVD and the Bone game I mentioned above.

Then again, I also have 114 Steam games... and play Team Fortress 2 quite a bit when I'm not busy with work and college.
  • edited April 2010
    Moleculor wrote: »
    That's an unfortunate stance, and one that Telltale could simply view as a reason not to do something like this in the future.

I wouldn't say they shouldn't do this again, but considering it, it's just a DVD. 3 exclusive TF2 items sound pretty good compared to another DVD.

I remember when different stores offered different items for preordering a game, such as Burnout Paradise, where you'd get a code to unlock an exclusive car to get, say, a Gamestop car, or a Wal-Mart racer.
  • edited April 2010
    I wouldn't say they shouldn't do this again, but considering it, it's just a DVD. 3 exclusive TF2 items sound pretty good compared to another DVD.

I remember when different stores offered different items for preordering a game, such as Burnout Paradise, where you'd get a code to unlock an exclusive car to get, say, a Gamestop car, or a Wal-Mart racer.

They still do this. "GET RED DEAD: REDEMPTION FROM AMAZON AND GET THESE GOLD GUNS THAT GET MORE FAME" is an advert that I saw while a video on Gametrailers was loading.
  • edited April 2010
    Oh wow, how cool! Two of my favourite devs join forces.

If you actually manage to make the items available for us Telltale-pre-orderers, I will be absolutely thrilled and praise you forever for being the nicest game company around. (Not like I wasn't already doing that "just" for launching the new season, giving out free shipping, free episodes and all the other extra cool stuff.)
  • edited April 2010

Trust me, I'm not the only one with this "stance". I don't like having to sacrifice something just to get something else when there's no real reason for it.
  • edited April 2010
    Coolgamer wrote: »
    Trust me, I'm not the only one with this "stance". I don't like having to sacrifice something just to get something else when there's no real reason for it.

There's reason for it here, though. If you pay for the game through Steam (and thus, Telltale earns less money, while VALVe profits), you get the TF2 items.

If you buy through Telltale (and thus Telltale earns more money), you get a DVD. (Apparently.)
  • edited April 2010
    There's reason for it here, though. If you pay for the game through Steam (and thus, Telltale earns less money, while VALVe profits), you get the TF2 items.

If you buy through Telltale (and thus Telltale earns more money), you get a DVD. (Apparently.)

I would pay SLIGHTLY more for both.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    To clarify again: We're looking into a way to get TTG folks the Team Fortress unlocks. No promises and no details right now because we're still figuring it out. Sorry this got a little wacky, but hang tight guys :)
  • edited April 2010
    To clarify again: We're looking into a way to get TTG folks the Team Fortress unlocks. No promises and no details right now because we're still figuring it out. Sorry this got a little wacky, but hang tight guys :)

So, should I bother to download the game, or should I wait in case this falls through and I go through with canceling my order?
  • edited April 2010
    Oh, my. You guys are just awesome. I'm glad my friend told me about Sam and Max and other Telltale's games. I love when you get information about what's actually going on. ;)
  • edited April 2010
    To reiterate what others have said, thanks for the efforts and good luck on getting us TTG-preorders the items. It is a great cross-promotion and all that and the items look great from what I've seen. I'll be disappointed if we don't get them, but (IMO) the ball's in Valve's hands to make this work. (I'm baffled by the limited time offer in the first place.)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Masem wrote: »
    (I'm baffled by the limited time offer in the first place.)

It's limited time offer because it makes it exciting, and keeps TF2 from being flooded with Max heads. The ball is in fact not in Valve's court, it is in ours, but there is some infrastructure involved on our end to get things working; there are things to figure out. We're investigating :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.