Sam and Max TF2 Items!

Comments

• edited April 2010
    Was that Valve though... or TTG? We still don't know. Which of the 2 devs gave you the finger? Precious Valve? Or precious TTG? They both looked so innocent...

Yes, a straight answer from one or the other would be nice.
    Aren't you greedy for not wanting to share the hat with us?

I'd love for as many people as possible to get these items, but they are meant to be a Steam deal. Surely getting a part of the Telltale deal would be a fair deal? After all you're gonna get these items forever but the special forum won't be around for long. This one concession won't kill anyone, will it?
  • edited April 2010
    Zonino wrote: »
    I'd love for as many people as possible to get these items, but they are meant to be a Steam deal.
    They're supposed to be a Steam deal because...you said they should be? I don't remember any promises. This is just something fun. And I could take it or leave it, sure, but if something isn't exclusive, is anybody hurt? Not really. You still get what you wanted. Steam users think buying from Steam is a good thing. For some reason. They weren't coerced by the items. =P
  • edited April 2010
    After all you're gonna get these items forever but the special forum won't be around for long.
    What do you mean? The TOMI forum not only still exists, but is available to public viewing (and closed to posting to everyone). Assuming S&M follows the same pattern, in the future you'll have as much access to the forum as the folk who pre-ordered.
  • edited April 2010
    They're supposed to be a Steam deal because...you said they should be? I don't remember any promises. This is just something fun. And I could take it or leave it, sure, but if something isn't exclusive, is anybody hurt? Not really. You still get what you wanted. Steam users think buying from Steam is a good thing. For some reason. They weren't coerced by the items. =P

It's a Steam deal because it was obtained by buying it from Steam. It may have been a surprise but that doesn't change the fact that both Steam and Telltale originally intended it to be a Steam only bonus. It would have stayed that way had this massive whinefest of a topic never existed.

I don't begrudge people for wanting something cool, but this entire topic has been a massive "me" fest. As far as I can tell, until I started posting, not a single person even offered something in return for wanting these items. It was all want want want. So in the end, the TTG preorders still get their unique items AND the new items, while the Steam preorders, who still support TTG by preordering, get the Steam items, and then watch as the TTG people also get the Steam items despite not ordering from Steam.

It leaves a slightly bitter taste.
    Xocrates wrote: »
    What do you mean? The TOMI forum not only still exists, but is available to public viewing (and closed to posting to everyone). Assuming S&M follows the same pattern, in the future you'll have as much access to the forum as the folk who pre-ordered.

Ahh I did not know that. Still the TTG people have access now, and Steam people have the items. Now TTG people have access AND the items. Is it unfair for those of us who preordered on Steam to ask to get access to the private forum?
  • edited April 2010
    It's a Steam deal because it was obtained by buying it from Steam. It may have been a surprise but that doesn't change the fact that both Steam and Telltale originally intended it to be a Steam only bonus. It would have stayed that way had this massive whinefest of a topic never existed.
    Eh, maybe, maybe not. The whole thing seems to have come out of almost nowhere, my guess is that it kind of came up as a seat-of-their pants thing and nothing was actually planned.
    I don't begrudge people for wanting something cool, but this entire topic has been a massive "me" fest. As far as I can tell, until I started posting, not a single person even offered something in return for wanting these items. It was all want want want. So in the end, the TTG preorders still get their unique items AND the new items, while the Steam preorders, who still support TTG by preordering, get the Steam items, and then watch as the TTG people also get the Steam items despite not ordering from Steam.
    It sort of came up that TTG users would get the items pretty quickly. I didn't get to the topic before it happened. Honestly, I would have said "Good for them" if they got it.

I'm not going to begrudge people for getting things that I also got. I think it's pretty well-documented in my post history that I'm fine(and even happy with) Deluxe Tales DVD orders getting the pre-order slipcase, Steam users getting usually Telltale-only pre-order bonuses(when they were, um, showing up that is...sorry about that), and I'll be happy when and if the DVDs make their way to other platforms.

Also, I don't see how wanting to exclude others from a promotion is anything but a "me-fest", no offense intended.
  • edited April 2010
    I'll say what I've been saying in TF2 and TF2 forums ever since May 2009:

They're just freaking hats! Who cares?

They don't change gameplay, and they don't add anything to the game but an opening for people to complain and messing up class silhouettes.
    I shouldn't be surprised by the amount of importance people place in them but I am.

On a different note the guns have doubled my accuracy XD
  • edited April 2010
    Ehm... I don't think anyone here actually opposses allowing Steam members in the private forums.
    I think why no one suggested "let's swap items for forums" is because that's an extremely silly swap. You were supposed to get forum access regardless.
    I am pretty sure after a hostage situation the police wouldn't negotiate with the capturer's about re-giving them the hostages again... that would raise loads of eyebrows don't you think?

But as said, still not sure on who dropped the ball there...
  • edited April 2010
    Eh, maybe, maybe not. The whole thing seems to have come out of almost nowhere, my guess is that it kind of came up as a seat-of-their pants thing and nothing was actually planned.
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    We (mostly Jake and I) had a last-minute opportunity to do a cool thing with Valve and we jumped on it. Literally no earlier notice could have been given.
    cool thing with Valve
    Valve

True while that doesn't mean they didn't intend to make it just Valve, the fact that this topic was made and the fact that TTG needed to talk to Valve to get everyone on board pretty much means it was originally intended for Steam customers.
    It sort of came up that TTG users would get the items pretty quickly. I didn't get to the topic before it happened. Honestly, I would have said "Good for them" if they got it.

I'm not going to begrudge people for getting things that I also got. I think it's pretty well-documented in my post history that I'm fine(and even happy with) Deluxe Tales DVD orders getting the pre-order slipcase, Steam users getting usually Telltale-only pre-order bonuses(when they were, um, showing up that is...sorry about that), and I'll be happy when and if the DVDs make their way to other platforms.

Also, I don't see how wanting to exclude others from a promotion is anything but a "me-fest", no offense intended.

I also came to this topic late, so I missed the item confirmation. Even if I hadn't missed it I wouldn't have complained about people wanting the items. If I've come across as not wanting people to get these items then I apologise that was not my intention. My intention is to point out that people saw these items and then demanded that they get them without even considering the possibility that they may have been a preorder bonus for Steam customers. Now when I bring up the issue of Steam people maybe getting a TTG preorder bonus, people seem to be against the idea. Share and share alike eh?

Well... whatever. I thought my view might be fair, since this is the first time that I'm aware of that others have gotten a preorder bonus. (there certainly isn't any other way to get Bill's Hat in TF2 anymore). Sure enough maybe it should have been advertised sooner so I can't begrudge anyone who would have brought the Steam version for these items... which is actually another point. How many people here would have actually did that? And how many just want cool new items for a game they own? I'd like to know.
  • edited April 2010
    Now when I bring up the issue of Steam people maybe getting a TTG preorder bonus, people seem to be against the idea. Share and share alike eh?
    Ehm, some quotes?
    I don't recall anyone specifically being against the idea, as opposed to just not mentioning it...
  • edited April 2010
    True while that doesn't mean they didn't intend to make it just Valve, the fact that this topic was made and the fact that TTG needed to talk to Valve to get everyone on board pretty much means it was originally intended for Steam customers.
    All that confirms is that it was meant for a Valve product, for example: Team Fortress 2. This might make sense if Valve didn't develop Team Fortress 2, but they did.
    I also came to this topic late, so I missed the item confirmation. Even if I hadn't missed it I wouldn't have complained about people wanting the items. If I've come across as not wanting people to get these items then I apologise that was not my intention. My intention is to point out that people saw these items and then demanded that they get them without even considering the possibility that they may have been a preorder bonus for Steam customers. Now when I bring up the issue of Steam people maybe getting a TTG preorder bonus, people seem to be against the idea. Share and share alike eh?
    Huh. If I was here before the confirmation showed up, I would have said "Huh. Good for them. Considering they don't get much and direct Telltale customers get the best deal, it is kind of nice for them that they get something." I'm not then going to turn around and complain if Steam customers get more of our bonuses, or Telltale customers get more of Steam's, though. In the end, this sort of thing is completely ancillary.
    How many people here would have actually did that? And how many just want cool new items for a game they own? I'd like to know.
    I'm going to say it: I'm not a Team Fortress 2 fan or player. So this leaves me relatively unaffected. But now that I'm going to be able to get what looks like some really cool items, I'm thinking about buying TF2 just to take advantage of it.
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    I'm going to say it: I'm not a Team Fortress 2 fan or player. So this leaves me relatively unaffected. But now that I'm going to be able to get what looks like some really cool items, I'm thinking about buying TF2 just to take advantage of it.

TF2 is pretty great. You'd also get to play with like half the Telltale office. :)
  • And I'm thinking about buying S&M 3 because I am a TF2 fan/player, so that means everybody wins. :D
  • edited April 2010
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    TF2 is pretty great. You'd also get to play with like half the Telltale office. :)
    Replace "play with" with something along the lines of "get horribly trampled by", and you'd be right. I haven't played an FPS since Goldeneye 007 or Perfect Dark. I've heard the genre has changed somewhat. And despite being a die-hard PC gamer, it has always been in the RPG, strategy, and adventure genres...the only PC FPS I've played was DOOM(and maybe DOOM II?). Never got far.

Oh, wait, I did play Left 4 Dead once. I..got yelled at. :)
  • OMGWTF?! KILL THE SMOKER! KILL THE SMOKER! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!

Rather Dashing: "What's a smoker?"
  • edited April 2010
    OMGWTF?! KILL THE SMOKER! KILL THE SMOKER! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!

Rather Dashing: "What's a smoker?"
    I'd assume you guys were talking about hipsters that smoke because it looks cool, while eating all-organic food because it's better for them.

Is that not what a smoker is? =O
  • edited April 2010
    Oh, wait, I did play Left 4 Dead once. I..got yelled at. :)

You're not meant to shoot the healthy looking people!
  • edited April 2010
    Is anyone else just skimming through this thread, ignoring everyone, just looking for the Telltale employee logo next to the name?

It seems both game forums have some problem with this update... EES FUNNY TO ME!

Having said that, I would like to reiterate: Can we confirm ordering through the Telltale website will secure these TF2 items? Every note from the Telltale people has been very noncommittal, not that I can blame them...
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    Hey guys who bought from TTG but want to unlock the TF2 goodies, can you give http://www.telltalegames.com/tf2hats a try?

Let me know if anything wacky happens... the bad kind of wacky. You getting Max's head as a TF2 unlock is the good kind. Actually, feel free to tell us about that kind, too.
  • edited April 2010
    Jake wrote: »
    Hey guys who bought from TTG but want to unlock the TF2 goodies, can you give http://www.telltalegames.com/tf2hats a try?

Let me know if anything wacky happens... the bad kind of wacky. You getting Max's head as a TF2 unlock is the good kind. Actually, feel free to tell us about that kind, too.

That was quick...
    Thanks, bro!
  • edited April 2010

You have made me one very happen guy who some people say is somewhat messed in the head. Thank you, good sirs of Telltale!

Level 77, woo!
  • edited April 2010

I'm not sure if it was intentional, but I just got The Devil's Playhouse on Steam as well. I mean, I'll be HAPPY to keep it if that's not a problem, but I totally just downloaded The Penal Zone through Steam.
  • edited April 2010
    I may as well give up, since no one seems to be interested and I'm not very good at getting my point of view across.

So, I shall now join in with the TF2 appreciation. I'm also not very good at it, but it doesn't really bother me. I must admit the Sam and Max items feel like a guilty pleasure. I spend most of my time hiding in places with the Spy and then trying to kill people with Sam's Revolver. I must admit, my ability to kill things with it rivals Sam's.
  • edited April 2010
    This effing rules, thanks!

A few questions linger though.
    Does this mean that subsequent episodes will be downloadable from Steam? Will we still get our pre-release bonuses from Telltale? Are all Telltale games going to plug into Steam from now on?
  • edited April 2010
    Quick, We need Monkey Island items in tf2 now, GET ON IT
  • edited April 2010
    Thank you so much for the quick work with Valve! I hope to play with the TTG team soon, as soon as I finish my school semester and get back to a computer that can run the game well.
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks a lot, it worked like a charm :) Really awesome of both of you to do this for us.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited April 2010
    YellowKing wrote: »
    A few questions linger though.
    Does this mean that subsequent episodes will be downloadable from Steam? Will we still get our pre-release bonuses from Telltale? Are all Telltale games going to plug into Steam from now on?

As of now this promotion is a one-time thing. It's not part of a secret rollout to integrate with Steam or anything. I don't know if you'll get episodes beyond the Penal Zone through Steam, but this was the easiest and most agreed-upon work around we could all come up with to get TTG folks the hats. You're still a customer from the Telltale site so DVD is yours :)

Thanks to Valve for sending us the magical hat unlock codes, and thanks to the TTG web team for turning the fix around so fast!
  • edited April 2010
    I also seem to be getting a free copy of The Penal Zone through Steam. Which is ... wow. Extra free! I guess I'll finally give in and buy a copy of TF2 as well (at least I'll get my butt kicked by good people.)

Thanks Telltale and Valve! (Almost forgot my thank you there!:o )
  • edited April 2010

*sigh*

So I guess this doesn't work if I pre-ordered the season on PSN huh? :(
  • edited April 2010
    I got the items fine, absolutely spiffing work, TTG. Worked flawlessly, though you might want to note on the page that it only adds the items after you die after starting the game, presumably because that's when it first contacts the Steam Community stuff to update statistics. My own personalised thanks image will be made shortly.

I don't feel quite right asking any more given that TTG has already gone beyond the call of duty with this, but is there any chance of perhaps getting the appropriate firing sounds for the guns into TF2? (I know I can probably just drop the sounds in over the default Scout and Spy firing sounds as custom sounds, but that's only client side and so not the same thing. If I remember my Source modding correctly, adding that should only require the sound effect files and an adjustment to the weapon script file to direct it to the new sound, but would have to go through Valve as an update for global usage. But as I said, given that you've gone this far when you didn't have to, doing so would only be a (perfectionist) cherry on top of a delicious cake.
  • edited April 2010
    *hoarse voice* YOU DESERVE A MEDAL, TELLTALE!
  • edited April 2010
    It worked fantastic. All the items work perfectly and look fantastic!
  • edited April 2010
    IT JUST WENT THROUGH!
    *russian accent* kiss me ttg
  • edited April 2010
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    I think it was the way Valve treated players for using the idler-program.

Valve treated people who used the external application the same way they've treated everyone who used any external application: More than fairly. Other companies would have banned the players outright. It's not Valve's fault if people keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again.

I has a hat! It's on my pyro. 'cuz that's fitting. Thank you verra much!
  • edited April 2010
    internet-high-five.jpg

Every one of you deserves a medal.

Awesome items, free episode on steam, my hat total is now at 10. What more could I want?
  • edited April 2010
    JFreeman wrote: »
    What more could I want?

We've gotten all we ever wanted and more :) But since you ask, you COULD want what S@bre mentioned, which was the appropriate firing sounds for the guns :P
  • edited April 2010
    They're just freaking hats! Who cares?
    hatstacyb.gif

Some people do, apparently.
  • edited April 2010
    'Preciate it, Doc. Telltale. :D
  • edited April 2010
    Thanks a lot guys.
    I redeemed the code and it already apeared at tf2items.com - I can't play it now :(
    Also, 301 appeared on my steam games list. I'll probably just leave it there.
  • edited April 2010
    Yessss! Cheers Telltale!!
Sign in to comment in this discussion.