The "whatever's on your mind" thread

Comments

• edited November 2010
    What's the best worst movie ever made?

Napoleon Dynamite... no wait, I hate Phantom of the Opera more.
  • edited November 2010

I'd probably say Rumplestiltskin or Pumaman. Both are terrible, but they're terrible in the 'holy crap, someone thought this would sell?' sort of way. Also, Rumplestiltskin has probably one of the best precision F-bomb strikes I've ever seen in a movie.

Also on my mind: Dear god, it took me three days to finish translating The Wanderer. I don't want to look at another instrumental case verb for at least two days now.
  • edited November 2010

Stuff like Manos or Pumaman only falls into the worst worst movies category. What you need is stuff that falls into the gray area.

Stuff like Citizen Kane, Alien, or 2001: A Space Odyssey

2mhaf42.jpg

I refuse to make apologies this time.
  • edited November 2010
    Stuff like Manos or Pumaman only falls into the worst worst movies category. What you need is stuff that falls into the gray area.

Stuff like Citizen Kane, Alien, or 2001: A Space Odyssey.

The best worst movie is Titanic I think you'll all find, what other film is so universally acclaimed yet so universally hated
  • edited November 2010
    Loopholes suck.
  • edited November 2010
    JedExodus wrote: »
    The best worst movie is Titanic I think you'll all find, what other film is so universally acclaimed yet so universally hated

Oddly enough, I think Avatar fits the bill too.
  • edited November 2010
    Oddly enough, I think Avatar fits the bill too.

I think you meant to say "Pocahontas: Space Cats Edition"
  • edited November 2010
    ^This.

I've been basically calling it that since I saw it.
  • edited November 2010
    I loathe abstract art with a burning passion. Also, Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. Translators win prizes!
  • edited November 2010
    Ugh, my family will not let me say one word against Avatar since I haven't seen it. I don't want to see it. I know more than enough about the movie to know why I don't want to see it. You don't have to watch a movie to be able to know "I will dislike this movie". Yes, it's possible to think you know you'll hate a movie and to be surprised and fall in love with it, but it's also possible to know enough about the movie to know that won't happen.

And yet I'm probably going to eventually break and watch it just to get them the hell off my back about it.
  • edited November 2010
    Ugh, my family will not let me say one word against Avatar since I haven't seen it. I don't want to see it. I know more than enough about the movie to know why I don't want to see it. You don't have to watch a movie to be able to know "I will dislike this movie". Yes, it's possible to think you know you'll hate a movie and to be surprised and fall in love with it, but it's also possible to know enough about the movie to know that won't happen.

And yet I'm probably going to eventually break and watch it just to get them the hell off my back about it.

you could lie and just read wikipedia to get the jist to get away with it.
  • edited November 2010
    I loathe abstract art with a burning passion. Also, Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. Translators win prizes!
    why are you quoting Caesar

he was only important enough to have a salad named after him

not all that great

imo
  • edited November 2010
    why are you quoting Caesar

he was only important enough to have a salad named after him

not all that great

imo

Either you looked at my Facebook or used Google. Either way, you cheated. Also, Iulius Caesar is one of my most favourite historic figures, and I thought it worthwhile to bring culture into this thread.

Philistine.
  • edited November 2010
    I loved the Shakespeare play.
    It's taught me not to have any sort of meeting on the 15th of March.
  • edited November 2010
    I thought it worthwhile to bring culture into this thread.

You're funny.
  • edited November 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    I loved the Shakespeare play.

It is by far my favourite Shakespeare play - my favourite Shakespeare anything.

You're funny.

I try.
  • edited November 2010
    I wana right a DCAU story and have it made into a movie! I can totaly take advantage that
    Lex Luthor and Darkseid/with Brainiac dissaprered and where never seen agian
  • edited November 2010

On another note, what is your opinion of art using surrealism?
  • edited November 2010
    On another note, what is your opinion of art using surrealism?

In paintings, I'm against it. I just don't like the style. However, I love it in literature. It's odd.
  • edited November 2010
    I feel like a lot of people miss the point behind abstract art and surrealism. With abstract art, it's all about the design of the piece, and believe it or not, it's not easy to create a well-designed piece of art. When you only rely on color, shape, and line with no cues from reality, it's very difficult to make something appealing. Surrealism isn't as easy as it looks either: you have to be very good at rendering something realistically, because what makes something look surreal is its believability.

YEEEEEAAAAAAHHH ART THEORY
  • edited November 2010
    Surrealism is my favorite art style bar none. It's the perfect muse for my writing due to it's open nature.

Dali's "The Persistence Of Memory" inspired a short story that I had an absolute blast writing, and it remains the only thing I've finished in one draft without obsessing and self-criticizing. Unfortunately, I don't have it anymore, and my own "persistence of memory" is just as irretrievable as Dali's clocks.
  • edited November 2010
    I´m booooored. Should be cleaning but feeling lazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AwPds6U-fU
  • edited November 2010
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Surrealism is my favorite art style bar none. It's the perfect muse for my writing due to it's open nature.

This

MC Escher is my favorite Artist
  • edited November 2010
    I don't know if I should study for Old English or not. On one hand I've done it before and I know most of the grammar stuff, but on the other hand it's been two years since I memorized the forms...
  • edited November 2010
    People still look at me weird when I say that Mondrian is one of my favorite artists. I have had to repeat "no I'm not joking" several times now, too. I have liked him since I was a little kid, so that pretty much means I wasn't appreciating him from an "artistic" side forever, his style of design just naturally clicked with me for some reason.

Of course, when I mention that I like Andy Warhol, people just outright get angry. :( Maybe I should get other tastes.
  • edited November 2010
    PecanBlue wrote: »
    People still look at me weird when I say that Mondrian is one of my favorite artists. I have had to repeat "no I'm not joking" several times now, too. I have liked him since I was a little kid, so that pretty much means I wasn't appreciating him from an "artistic" side forever, his style of design just naturally clicked with me for some reason.

Of course, when I mention that I like Andy Warhol, people just outright get angry. :( Maybe I should get other tastes.

oh my god can i hug you

also, remolay, mc escher isn't surealism.

or maybe he is, im just too tired from writing this long thing im writing to make a proper statement. but i think he isnt.
  • edited November 2010
    I just watched an awesome movie. Batman Under The Red Hood. It had a gripping storyline and epic fight scenes and loads of Jokers black comedy.
  • edited November 2010
    Art as in pictures and that, it isn't for me.

I did photography once to flesh out my studies, and it was a nice fit for journalism, it was strange hearing people telling me all about the things I did and intended in my photo. none of which I intended for at all

I guess the beauty is you can take away what you like from it
  • edited November 2010
    I'm wondering why the internet has gone and muted itself on me...
  • edited November 2010
    When nothing else works, you have to enter into... SELF-PUBLISHING! ARGH!
  • edited November 2010
    mmm, my room smells of coffee. It's making me crave a cup though.
  • edited November 2010
    I should start to like coffee, when ever someone offer me a cup and I say I don't drink coffe, I get a cup of hot water with colour, also called flavourless tea. :p

And it even scolded my tongue... :(
  • edited November 2010
    I just vegged like 4hrs on Assasins Creed(The Original)

Edit: That's something that bothers me, when people have to ask which one...one of my many pet peeves.
  • edited November 2010
    I should start to like coffee, when ever someone offer me a cup and I say I don't drink coffe, I get a cup of hot water with colour, also called flavourless tea. :p

I don't drink coffee myself. Every time that I've had hot coffee, I've ended up with a sore throat, for some reason. It doesn't happen with iced coffee, or hot chocolate; just hot coffee. I've no idea why.
    Icedhope wrote: »
    I just vegged like 4hrs on Assasin's Creed.

Funnily enough, I've done the exact same thing this afternoon/evening (yes, for about 4 hours as well). Except, I've been playing it for the first time. It's a really fun game! Quite addictive, too. There's something about jumping from rooftop to rooftop and stabbing guards in the face that's just so infectious and appealing :D.
  • edited November 2010
    I have Assassin's Creed, but have never played it. Maybe I should play it for 4 hours today. :p
  • edited November 2010

I'm kind of a coffee fiend, but it is an acquired taste. Especially if you prepare it the way I do, Nowegian Black (but I drink it with cream. I just never developed a taste for black coffee). It's incredibly strong (though not as strong as Middle Eastern countries tend to make it) so yeah, I wouldn't recommend starting off with that...
  • edited November 2010
    What's on my mind is that Harrison Ford looks insanely badass in the Cowboys and Aliens trailer. Why has he not done more serious westerns. Like, imagine if he had done one with Eastwood.
  • edited November 2010
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    oh my god can i hug you

Sure, why? You like Mondrian or do you like Warhol and people get mad at you?
    also, remolay, mc escher isn't surealism.

Yeah he's mostly a graphic artist, or known for it at least, though maybe some of his works can be considered a little surreal. I dunno. I just know my Design prof used him as inspiration for our final project, which was a morphing piece and a huge pain in the butt.

Speaking of things that are on my mind, I need to get Christmas presents for two friends. For one of them, I want to get her something from Thinkgeek, but she hasn't put up a wishlist yet. :/ Maybe I might try asking her boyfriend what she wants, I dunno. I want to get my other friend a year of membership for a museum, she's a student and I'd get it cheaper if I make it a student membership, but how on earth can I possibly prove to the museum that she's a student without spoiling the surprise? "Hey Lin, can you send me a scan of your student ID for no particular reason?"

GOSH CHRISTMAS SHOPPING IS HARD.
  • edited November 2010
    Am I the only one who finds refreshers (a type of british sweet/candy) unrefrshing?
    BarrattsRefreshers.jpg
  • edited November 2010
    PecanBlue wrote: »
    Sure, why? You like Mondrian or do you like Warhol and people get mad at you?

Not necessarily that I like their works, but I have a really hard time explaining why their art has important merit to people who quickly dismiss them. So it's all frustratin' I guess sometimes.
This discussion has been closed.