The "whatever's on your mind" thread

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I don't think we can be friends anymore.
  • edited July 2010
    ;A;
  • edited July 2010
    Ah, nothing better to blow your money on than CD's and PC games!
  • edited July 2010
    I've learned that while it's possible to create a thread that cannot be derailed, it's impossible to create a thread that cannot be trolled. Relatedly, I've learned that it's possible for trolling to remain on topic.

This thread makes me sad now.

What topic? Why is it "trolling"? Does everything have to be full of self image and full of ego. self awareness? Why can't things just roll off your mind freely when you're streaming what's on your mind? No one said that you had to always be interesting or coherent to some one else. Even the simple things said here, or the "spam" things are fabricated by that person.

For the most part it isn't arguing, debating, it's just literally open mindfulness. It's The Whatever is On Your Mind Thread, Which (etc etc...continuing in) my opinion, means that the person is free to have their own interpretations of what's funny, relevant, interesting, and speaking it freely and have their own piece of mind/ perspective without arguing, debating it with ego, insecurity...

LOL I fully accept your opinion and am an extension of your opinion in my mind. I think we're all an extension of one another, or something greater than us all.

We all go searching in our lives, to be complete, unless satisfied then we just search out what we already have. Though we all co-exist.

I think it's perfectly fine to have other opinions about things, and I don't think too many people experience life, rather than hide behind their own mirrored image in reality of self and self in reality.

I'm an extension of your thoughts in this thread. I think the problem with some people is that they can't argue/ debate with any level of acceptance and awareness of the other person. They're entirely connected to their selves and self image.

Self image is a good thing but we're all connected and our thoughts are special and unique. They're all worth sharing but I don't know if they're worth arguing/debating. Not in the sense we have mostly now, ego, emotions, violence, authority, etc etc...
  • edited July 2010
    actually, more importantly, why can't people just go with the trolling. that makes things more chill and bonds homies together.
  • edited July 2010
    Giant Tope wrote: »
    actually, more importantly, why can't people just go with the trolling. that makes things more chill and bonds homies together.

I get it!

albert-einstein_tongue-out.jpg

:p

Now, I break from this thread and go make lunch of work today.
  • edited July 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    Verbal Diarrhea

I don't recall accusing you of trolling...directly...

Now implying...that's another story.

There's good trolling and bad trolling. Lately, you've been jumping back and forth across that line.
  • edited July 2010
    Hmm. Interesting. I thought you meant me, because I was talking about going to the bathroom. That's because of my "verbal diarrhea", I occasional have to go, and make funny faces at the mirror when i'm done...

Thanks for the acknowledgment regardless.

I guess this thread is what's on your mind, so you're connected to it on some sort of personal level. And you see it as you think it should be, and he sees it as he thinks it should be. With a thread like this though it's sort of open ended? Just my opinion.

You're both connected to it and socially construct what's appropriate and how to stream your minds and what to filter... (again just streaming here).

With a thread title like this though people are bound to just feel welcomed to be individualistic and a little creative, or are they? That's what's on my mind.

LOL CRAZY! You feel free to speak your mind after he speaks his own. This thread is just crazy. Some how you're both linked, it's the social constructs up front, what's appropriate or trolling Id say that gets the stick in the mud.

Unless everyone thought he was extremely obnoxious, lol.
  • edited July 2010
    ...I had totally forgotten about that, but now that you mention it, yeah, I don't care what thread you're posting in, posting that you went to the bathroom is spam. And creepy. And yet ironically enough, I might consider it the good kind of trolling in the right circumstances...
  • edited July 2010
    Lol!
  • edited July 2010
    However, I wouldn't call it the right circumstances where you posted it.

Now, I'm going to turn off my computer and go to bed. And maybe dream about having a yelling contest with my neighbor's dog or painting yellow lines down the middle of my driveway or singing Welsh folk songs at the bank. Hopefully, I won't sleepwalk to a stranger's house and paint it a different color.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm sorry you feel that way. :\

Often times when I say things on these forums, I don't really mean much to it. I don't even think I'm really trolling so much as pointing out how silly a situation is. And the more drama filled a place is, the more it seems ridiculous to argue. I don't exactly get a rise out of people's pain, because that's just plain cruel. However, when people are being ridiculous over something like, say, which Pokemon is the best ever, or something among that caliber, it just doesn't seem to be worth being serious over. You know what I'm saying?

I harbor no ill feelings towards any folk round these parts. It's best just not to let things get to our heads sometimes.
  • edited July 2010
    This thread has turned us against each other, or something let us remain Peaceful and friendly.

We are telltale fans, we have that all in common, and let us use that to bind us together, and be peaceful.
  • edited July 2010
    Well, from the look of things, some folk round these parts don't even like telltale, but at least we're all on this forum? haha
  • edited July 2010
    I keep seeing it more and more frequently, so could someone please define to me what 'trolling' means? At first I thought it meant repeating something over and over again, but now I'm not so sure.
  • edited July 2010
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    I keep seeing it more and more frequently, so could someone please define to me what 'trolling' means? At first I thought it meant repeating something over and over again, but now I'm not so sure.

Basically anyone who intentionally tries to cause trouble on the internet. Someone who disrupts the online community or disturbs the peace.

Edit: Here you are, there's even a Wikipedia page for the little beasts.
  • edited July 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    Basically anyone who intentionally tries to cause trouble on the internet. Someone who disrupts the online community or disturbs the peace.
    On purpose!
    Trolling (what you described) is always done on purpose!

In other news...
    When I fell asleep yesterday I asked myself how it is EVER possible to repair the damage that has been done by that broken oil pipe thing (BP related) and if this will find its way into history books.
  • edited July 2010
    Katsuro wrote: »
    On purpose!
    Trolling (what you described) is always done on purpose!

Note the word 'intentionally'.
  • edited July 2010
    Note the word 'intentionally'.

Whoops :D
  • edited July 2010
    Jeeno, a troll is essentially someone who purposefully cause trouble in order to derive enjoyment out of said trouble. I've heard people call them drama whores, but I'm not entirely sure if that's the right term because often times trolls avoid drama within their own personal lives. Or at least most them I know. In fact, most people I know who troll expect the other parties of the conversation to join in and thus end the silly drama. Unfortunately, they are the minority of the internet. The best way to avoid trolls is to not start drama in the first place, but if it has already happened, you should drop the convo entirely or carry on without notice. That way the troll has no reason to troll further, as there is no reward for trolling an audience that won't feed you.
  • edited July 2010
    Thank you Hayden! That helps make what people are going on about clearer.

Now I'm wondering how that came to be known as 'trolling'. Seems like a strange word.

EDIT: Ooh, looks like Giant Tope knew I'd wonder that and answered before I asked. Thanks!
  • edited July 2010
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    Thank you Hayden! That helps make what people are going on about clearer.

You're welcome.
    Katsuro wrote: »
    When I fell asleep yesterday I asked myself how it is EVER possible to repair the damage that has been done by that broken oil pipe thing (BP related) and if this will find its way into history books.

I wonder if I will find my way into history books...

Edit: Sorry, I probably shouldn't be making light of/ignoring this situation, it really is a horrible thing in all seriousness. Humans are good at screwing up (...well, everything basically) the planet.
  • edited July 2010
    The "troll" mantra is so quickly chanted whenever any form of antagonism arises.

This is a fallacy.

People who only enter into a conversation to cause trouble do exist. The problem is that calling out any such person is completely pointless at best, and entirely destructive at worst. Best case scenario, you're right, and the person's entire viewpoints and posting style are an elaborate ruse intended to cause drama. Score 1 you. What happens if you call this person out?

They get their drama, for one. Arguments, like mine and others, pop up about the validity of the claim. Score 1 troll.

For another, you cut off any chance of continuing a reasonable discussion, because now the troll, who we suppose in this scenario is actually a complete fabrication, has hijacked the thread. Attention goes to them, score 2 troll.

Best-case scenario, you lose 2-1. It's a game best not played. Feel free to extol positive benefits and try to fiddle with the score, but this thread stands tall as a mighty testament against any argument you might deign to raise.

Now, worst-case scenario? You're calling someone out as a troll when they aren't. You're doing this because you don't want to deal with things rationally, you simply want to stamp a big internet blanket-statement on the person. This can be used to nullify arguments to strengthen your own confirmation bias, this can be used to continue a lifestyle awkwardly sheltered from any form of conflict, and your actions to this end can take a perfectly fine thread and send it hurtling into the nearest ravine.

Another cool thing about calling out a potential troll: It has less post content than your average troll post. It's true. See, calling a person an internet troll is simply a character attack, with little more to it than a blind "no u". There is no conversational power to it, there is no civil advancement of a conversation in spite of a rabble-rouser(who by the way may just be a different person than you).

There's a cool thing about people: We're different. That's kind of cool in many respects. That means we all see the world differently, we all have different views of what is acceptable and unacceptable in certain contexts, and we happen to hold different viewpoints and different views on how to interact with other people.

But we all have to live with each other.

I'm noticing a very annoying trend amongst Telltale forumites that didn't exist when I joined, and that's a problem of exceptionally weak skin. Any form of conflict, difference, or slight agitation is seen as an attack. The norm seems to be to try and craft threads into praise circles in lieu of actual conversation, and any deviation from this seems to be considered some form of heresy. Maybe some members of the forums, and by that I mean all members of the forums, need to man up and stop being such tempermental pansy-ass bitches.

Consider this my thought for the thread topic.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm more than a bird
    I'm more than a plane
    I'm a BIRDPLANE!
    I'm a BIRDPLANE!
    Oooh check me out I a birdplane
  • edited July 2010
    stop trollin
  • edited July 2010
    I'm noticing a very annoying trend amongst Telltale forumites that didn't exist when I joined, and that's a problem of exceptionally weak skin. Any form of conflict, difference, or slight agitation is seen as an attack. The norm seems to be to try and craft threads into praise circles in lieu of actual conversation, and any deviation from this seems to be considered some form of heresy. Maybe some members of the forums, and by that I mean all members of the forums, need to man up and stop being such tempermental pansy-ass bitches.

And I cannot agree more with you.

Last night I was remembering a very annoying situation which was totally weird. It's something like this:

Friend: Hey, what happened your sister is using glasses now?
    Me: She always used glasses. The point is she's about to operate her eyes and need to rest of the Contact Lenses first.
    Friend: But I never saw her using glasses before!
    Me: Because she used contact lenses since you know her
    Friend: Nah, that's impossible, I don't believe you
    Me: But, it's true! She uses glasses since the school!
    Friend: No, you're lying to me
    Me: Look, the point here is not if my sister uses glasses or not, the point here, why am I going to lie to you?
    Friend: I don't know.

And that happen when you find someone who jumps at conclusions and believe those conclusions are right because he just think those are right in real time. After that, I prefer do not fight anything and send him, like we said here, to the top of a mountain. Also, I can't stand someone to call me a liar. That could finish on physical agression if I continue, so, I prefer to retire out of battle and at least give him without the pleasure of win me. Because those kind of guys just want to win. Not discuss. And I hate that.
  • edited July 2010
    I'd find a way to make a joke there, but it would be horrible.

Yeah, I hate that too. Luckily my friends and I only argue about stuff that can be looked up online, like the Detroit Zoo and how it's actually not in Detroit
  • edited July 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    I'd find a way to make a joke there, but it would be horrible.

Yeah, I hate that too. Luckily my friends and I only argue about stuff that can be looked up online, like the Detroit Zoo and how it's actually not in Detroit
    Step 1: Decide your argument beforehand
    Step 2: Make a website to prove your point
    Step 3: Initiate argument, bring up website

Or use this to argue that the internet as a whole is easily swayed one way or the other by really bad photoshop jobs.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm sorry you feel that way. :\

Often times when I say things on these forums, I don't really mean much to it. I don't even think I'm really trolling so much as pointing out how silly a situation is. And the more drama filled a place is, the more it seems ridiculous to argue. I don't exactly get a rise out of people's pain, because that's just plain cruel. However, when people are being ridiculous over something like, say, which Pokemon is the best ever, or something among that caliber, it just doesn't seem to be worth being serious over. You know what I'm saying?

I harbor no ill feelings towards any folk round these parts. It's best just not to let things get to our heads sometimes.

Is okay, I still loves you! But, uh...a little less "no u", please?
  • edited July 2010
    My brother is really clueless at times. He was driving the tractor once and we were all yelling "STOP! STOP!" and making hand movements, yet he kept on going, even though he looked right at us.

I could go on, but you'd know my frustration if you were in my shoes.
  • edited July 2010
    Is okay, I still loves you! But, uh...a little less "no u", please?

no u?

:3
  • edited July 2010
    Why does it take so long to release a studio album!? Wait, wait, wait...
  • edited July 2010

no u?

:3

arrrr.png
  • edited July 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    Why does it take so long to release a studio album!? Wait, wait, wait...

'Chinese Democracy' was released two years ago :D...

But, in all seriousness, which artist and album are you referring to? Or do you just mean studio albums in general?
  • edited July 2010
    I'm now venturing into the deep unknown territory known as Android. One day I'll make tens of dollars with my application.

So yeah, anybody here experienced with the Android SDK?
  • edited July 2010
    'Chinese Democracy' was released two years ago :D...

Don't you ever mention that album again.
  • edited July 2010
    Don't you ever mention that album again.

Why not? Were you one of the people who waited 15 years, but was disappointed by the end product? Or was it just one of the two?
  • edited July 2010
    I was never really a fan of the band, but I was okay with them. I really could've cared less about Chinese Democracy if 1. it hadn't totally sucked and 2. one of the songs hadn't snuck onto Rock Band 2 to further annoy the hell out of me.
  • edited July 2010
    I was never really a fan of the band, but I was okay with them. I really could've cared less about Chinese Democracy if 1. it hadn't totally sucked and 2. one of the songs hadn't snuck onto Rock Band 2 to further annoy the hell out of me.

You didn't like the songs? I personally loved them, it was some complex music that was really right up my alley. But, to tell you the truth, when I first heard the leaks, I didn't like what I heard, but as I listened to them more and more I began to really enjoy them and eventually love them as much as GN'R's older tunes. I think the songs really need to be listened to with an open mind, and they require multiple listens in order to be properly appreciated.
  • edited July 2010
    Can someone tell me if the person I'm about to describe is trolling, or just being offensive(or both)?

I just dealt with someone on ModNation Racers. This person was acting pro-Nazi, and called me(and mostly me, because I was the only one to speak up against him), and everyone else in the ModSpot(hub) very bad words(using spaces and stuff to make them show up on chat), and was using a Hitler mod and a Nazi kart.When I asked If anyone else was offended by this guy, he said "is anyone else a ******** like RingJ5". I soon left, not before he got another person in the ModSpot to say "**** off" to me. Finally, right before I left, he called what he was doing trolling. Is it?
This discussion has been closed.