The "whatever's on your mind" thread

Comments

• edited July 2010
    I just finished getting rid of all the clothes that people have given me over the years that I've never liked and never worn. Now my closet is so...empty. It's such a refreshing feeling. :D

Now if only I could make such tough decisions about my shoe collection...
  • edited July 2010
    I just finished getting rid of all the clothes that people have given me over the years that I've never liked and never worn. Now my closet is so...empty. It's such a refreshing feeling. :D

Now if only I could make such tough decisions about my shoe collection...

Ya a girl, right...
    Right...?
  • edited July 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z02g2kBljpw

I never had the artistic abilities to craft this sort of genius.
  • edited July 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    Ya a girl, right...
    Right...?

Yup. :D
  • edited July 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z02g2kBljpw

I never had the artistic abilities to craft this sort of genius.

http://www.youtube.com/user/EclecticAsylumArt
  • edited July 2010

Even though he had photos right in front of him, I would say that he has a immense photographic memory.
    Truly amazing.
  • edited July 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RHzV6fQyFg&feature=related

This show is surprisingly still funny to me.
  • edited July 2010
    Hey cool. You can buy uranium on amazon.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2010
    Hey cool. You can buy uranium on amazon.

Never mind that, check out the wolf urine! The reviews are class.

I wonder how they get the wolves to pee into those plastic containers.
  • edited July 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    I wonder how they get the wolves to pee into those plastic containers.

Very carefully. Protective gear is probably involved.
  • edited July 2010
    Selfexperiment: Due to the low bandwidth where i am right now, i a.o. deinstalled flash. It's kind of weird surfing without it but it also works. The battery lasts longer, you get less advertisements but certain sites don't offer their services without it anymore, mostly you can find alternatives but they aren't always the first choices.

Although flash really is a common plugin, i like the idea of HTML 5 and that you have an open standard - with all the good and bad - without further plugins needed. Obviously it will take quite some time until the specs are finished, it's implemented properly and the sites make usage out of it.

Anyway, from the experiences gathered so far i would say, you can survive in the internet without flash having installed but sometimes it's less flashy.
  • edited July 2010
    I have the biggest boyish crush for her. I've fallen for a girl...again.
  • edited July 2010
    I have the biggest boyish crush for her. I've fallen for a girl...again.

Love happens.
  • edited July 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Love happens.

H...eh...fidoi to you too!

Ragh...eh...fsofv. Eh....

fussioufsiofu

sokfsoufosufsofusf
    fsofsufosufosfu fvvixhifyusfo aopfjsopjnvc. I shfisyfiyuyidyd ! lofsuofusfosu!?
  • edited July 2010
    Is your crush on me, or do crushes make you speak gibberish to everyone?
  • edited July 2010
    when will i get posts
  • edited July 2010
    seibert999 wrote: »
    when will i get posts

What do you mean by that?
  • edited July 2010
    Love happens.

You know what they say.

Love actually is all around.
  • edited July 2010
    I am starting to think that a very large percentage of this forum lives in Europe or on a very strange sleep schedule. It is 10 in the morning here, there are 40-50 users and posts every few minutes, but by noon it's down to 20-30 users and posts that are on average every 12 minutes. It stays that way until some time late at night or early in the morning. That might partially be because I haven't really been looking at the Monkey Island board, but it is a bit frustrating. Oh well, I guess it can't be helped.
  • edited July 2010
    Or they do stuff in the afternoon and the morning, meaning after work is the only moment they can actually post something ;)
  • edited July 2010
    I'm actually posting this at 5 AM, so it actually is an irregular time for me.
  • edited July 2010
    I usually post on a weirder and broader schedule, but I have three days left of my dad's vacation, which means three days left of labor camp as we try to get the house painted, so I'm outside all day with no forum access, and I'm going to bed earlier.

By the way, I got inside about 45 minutes ago, at 8:15 pm. I'd been outside working since about 8:30 am.
  • edited July 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    Or they do stuff in the afternoon and the morning, meaning after work is the only moment they can actually post something ;)

But being on the forums at 10 in the morning, when many people should be at work? And not being on the forums at 8 at night, when people should be home from work already? Plus, there have been a lot of people saying that they live in Europe.

In other thoughts, I don't trust anyone. Not even myself.
  • edited July 2010
    Power46 wrote: »
    But being on the forums at 10 in the morning, when many people should be at work? And not being on the forums at 8 at night, when people should be home from work already? Plus, there have been a lot of people saying that they live in Europe.

In other thoughts, I don't trust anyone. Not even myself.

From where are you? I'm from Chile which had a really similar hour with New York. In the moment I posted it was about 10 P.M. which mean the rest of USA must had been 9, or 8, or 7 p.m.! I think it's pretty late for come back from work, but well, I think is a good hour for lurk in the internet!
  • edited July 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    From where are you? I'm from Chile which had a really similar hour with New York. In the moment I posted it was about 10 P.M. which mean the rest of USA must had been 9, or 8, or 7 p.m.! I think it's pretty late for come back from work, but well, I think is a good hour for lurk in the internet!

I will just say that when you posted, it was 8:13 PM for me.

EDIT: By the way, I am referring to this post.
  • edited July 2010
    Power46 wrote: »
    I am starting to think that a very large percentage of this forum lives in Europe or on a very strange sleep schedule.

My sleep schedule is generally from 2-4 am to 10 am Pacific time. idk i don't think its that weird.
  • edited July 2010
    I switched a couple years back to my "natural sleep schedule", after having sleep issues for all of my life (I saw a shrink once a week throughout primary school because they thought it was psychological).

In the end, the conclusion was "don't use alarms, ever. Don't let anyone wake you up. Go to bed when you're tired, wake up when you wake up. Write down the times at first for your record but if you want to stay healthy, keep doing that forever (as in, not using an alarm, etc)."

I wrote down the times for a couple of months. I don't have them there anymore but the conclusion: I stayed up for amounts of times comprised between 12 and 28 hours, and slept for 4 to 14 hours. Interestingly, I don't sleep more when I'm awake more, it seems at least partially unrelated (that is, I can be up for 24 hours then sleep for 8, and another day be up for 18 hours then sleep for 12, or something. Actually, the longest time I stayed up (28 hours in a row) and the shortest amount of sleep I had (4 hours in a row) once were on the same cycle. Sleeping for longer than I had been up has happened to me too.
    You have to realise this doesn't involve any forcing myself up nor sleeping in after I'm awake just to lazily stay in bed. I do both at times now, but when I wrote down the records, I was expressly not allowed to. And I didn't take any amount of caffeine, either.

In short, it results in my having a shifting schedule, by an unpredictable amount. I occasionally "stick" around the same time for 2-3 days but usually, my cycles (one time awake+one time asleep) are pretty much always longer than 24 hours, meaning I wake up later than I did the day before (regardless of whether I went to bed earlier or later).

Sometimes I'll be up during the day, sometimes I'll be up at night. Sometimes both, in the case of my longest times awake. So compared to your average person, I'll be up at night more.

To give you an example, I woke up at 10:20pm today (so, pretty soon before I started writing this post: I live in Western Canada).

Right now however, the weather is incredibly hot. Being on a "reverse cycle" (primarily up at night and sleeping during the day) I'm stuck sleeping in the heat. That means I can't sleep well, keep waking up and have nightmares, and because I'm not getting proper sleep, I'm "stuck" on that part of my shifting schedule and can't move on, which is frustrating and exhausting.
    I can't say how long it will last, but I might force myself up until I'm asleep at night just so it stops. Of course, since I never stop shifting, I'll be back there in no time.
    Ian says my schedule is about two weeks long, meaning it takes me about two weeks to wake up at around the same time. Give or take a few hours, since if I wake up at 8 am on a given day, it might very well take several months before I wake up at 8 am again, but two weeks later I'll probably be up around 6, 7, 9 or 10.

The unpredictability is the main problem, really. Although I can try to get an idea of when I'll be up or asleep, I can't plan anything ahead easily because no matter what time it is, there is an equal chance that I'll be asleep then. The further ahead it is, the less predictable it is, of course. On the other hand, the further ahead it is, the more time it gives me to "cheat" and try to make sure I'll be up around that time.
    Because you see, I'm not following this "natural sleep schedule" 100% anymore. I still make plans, and then I try to "force it" to be able to meet them. While I couldn't do it on a day to day basis (so, having a normal job is out of the question there, my limit forcing myself on a "normal" schedule is 2 to 3 months before nervous breakdown, and the recovery is longer than the time I kept at it), it works fine for specific things.
    Conventions, for instance, or a vacation, or things like that.

It's much easier (for me at least) to stay up longer than to get up earlier or go to bed earlier.
    It typically is easier to skip sleep altogether than to go to bed knowing that I'll have to be up in only a few hours. I'm more alert and awake the following day if I didn't get any sleep at all than if I didn't get enough sleep, for some reason.

Too long; didn't read: yeah, I have a weird sleep schedule too.
  • edited July 2010
    when will my game download
    edited July 2010
    GaryCXJk wrote: »
    You know what they say.

Love actually is all around.

Ooh, I really like the PM’s Love Theme from that movie.

What’s on my mind: I’m wondering what I did to deserve the privilege of working with such a great group of people. Some days I feel extraordinarily lucky.
  • edited July 2010
    Is your crush on me, or do crushes make you speak gibberish to everyone?

fghjasdinbfhdiajsknb...

yes, it does that to all guys, messes with our heads.
  • edited July 2010
    I only sound like a fool when I'm talking to the guy I like. I have the ability to sound intelligent and attractive to absolutely everyone else but him. At least that's how it feels at times.
  • edited July 2010
    I only sound like a fool when I'm talking to the guy I like. I have the ability to sound intelligent and attractive to absolutely everyone else but him. At least that's how it feels at times.

is that still Yare, or have you moved on? I fazed out of the "romance" for a few months there.
  • edited July 2010
    Unrelated from previous conversation, related to thread.

I've just realized, my forum presence has been extremely minimal over the past couple of weeks. Hopefully, in the future, free time will present itself to me more than it has been lately. I wish free time was more common in general. Wouldn't it just be nice if, at times, time itself could just stand still and give you a breather; let you catch up and have a rest. Why does it have to keep moving forward? That was a rhetorical question, of course. I understand there are a number of very good explanations why time must keep moving forward, but it truly would be nice to freeze it every now and then.
  • edited July 2010
    is that still Yare, or have you moved on? I fazed out of the "romance" for a few months there.

I never had a crush on Yare: I was stalking him. That didn't make me sound stupid, only creepy.
    I meant in general, I wasn't talking about someone in particular.
    edited July 2010

I know exactly what you mean. Why can I be bright and sparkly and entertaining for everyone else I come into contact with, but lose 40 IQ points (and most of my charisma) when it comes to someone I actually WANT to impress?

I think it's down to self-consciousness. Either it's that nerves kill the natural bubbly spontaneity; or you actually sound exactly the same as always, only you perceive yourself differently and judge yourself more harshly.
  • edited July 2010
    Also unrelated to previous conversation:

Last night, as I was playing ModNation Racers, something strange happened. When I turned it on, almost all of my creations gained 100 exp, while their stats didn't change. Is there any explanation for this?
  • edited July 2010
    My dad told me once the Firefighters Funerals here are creepy.
  • edited July 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    I think it's down to self-consciousness. Either it's that nerves kill the natural bubbly spontaneity; or you actually sound exactly the same as always, only you perceive yourself differently and judge yourself more harshly.

Definitely a mix of both for me. I know that on the one hand I'm completely obvious when I like someone: I blush, constantly smile and get shy (looking down, occasionally even hiding behind other people like a little kid), can't think of a thing to say, scratch my neck, etc, etc.
    And when it's not face to face I'll call or write without actually having anything to say, leave a message that says nothing and freak out when he's not calling back, and so on.
    On the other hand, when I beat myself down for acting like a fool afterwards (thinking, of how everything I said or did was stupid, that the guy must think I'm crazy and is already running away from me, etc), people who witnessed me assure me that I didn't sound stupid, just shy, that I wasn't creepy, that it was even cute in a way and that I shouldn't worry about it.

So, yeah, a bit of both. It is annoying though. You want to be able to be normal and natural with the people you want to like you for yourself.
This discussion has been closed.