The "whatever's on your mind" thread

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Gah, you think life is going wonderfully, that everything's going to alright and then something happens and it's just... I can't believe it :(

What happened, if you don't mind me asking?
  • edited August 2010
    Read Les Miserables! It's about five hundred pages shorter, so it should be a breeze. :D

I actually recently saw a musical of that! It seemed really interesting although kinda depressing... but yeah, maybe i'll give it a go after I've recovered a bit :P
    Fealiks wrote: »
    What happened, if you don't mind me asking?

A LOT.
    It didn't have a very straight forward plot and the trouble is, it took such a long time to read that I can't remember very much of what happened at start... maybe I should read it again...
    It was very good though, I really liked Pierre's character because it developed so much, yeah it was all pretty amazing actually :D
  • edited August 2010
    A LOT.
    It didn't have a very straight forward plot and the trouble is, it took such a long time to read that I can't remember very much of what happened at start... maybe I should read it again...
    It was very good though, I really liked Pierre's character because it developed so much, yeah it was all pretty amazing actually :D

Wait.

What?
  • edited August 2010
    The Art of War: greatest book of strategy ever or BEST book of strategy ever? Discuss.
  • edited August 2010
    I actually recently saw a musical of that! It seemed really interesting although kinda depressing... but yeah, maybe i'll give it a go after I've recovered a bit :P

If you do decide to give it a go, I suggest skipping the hundred pages about the sewers of Paris. I'm pretty sure that Victor Hugo was getting paid by the word for that bit.
  • edited August 2010
    So my Mom & Dad bought my wife & myself the laptop we have been looking at & Our son a DVD player & some Dora & Spongebob DVDs for his room as early Christmas presents. I don't know how they got the money, but that is probably the coolest thing that they have done for my family... well... ever.
  • edited August 2010
    If you do decide to give it a go, I suggest skipping the hundred pages about the sewers of Paris. I'm pretty sure that Victor Hugo was getting paid by the word for that bit.

Hugo always goes on his... rants, I guess. They're all over the book. I personally have always skipped the Waterloo bit (apart from the one relevant ting. Don't ask me how I've never missed the one part that's important, even on my first read). He talks a lot about argot, religion, etc...
    Didn't notice the sewer one as a bad one, I guess I found it interesting :p

You shouldn't go there and hope for a happy story, but it does have touching moments, too. And I love reading Hugo for some reason. Even most of his rants (I just have a lot of trouble with history, I can only take it a little bit at a time. The description of the whole Waterloo thing is just too much for me, it would take me an extra two weeks to read the book if I actually wanted to read it all.)

I like many of his poems too, but unfortunately that doesn't translate very well...
  • edited August 2010
    Now I'm wondering what I'm doing with a new Cellphone, which has 3G and Video Conference Options, but I don't have a Phone Contract for that. Well, at least has an awesome Camera. I think. Wait, I still don't find the Digital Zoom...
  • edited August 2010
    I'm listening to my entire music collection in alphabetical order. It's gonna be a while before I hear ZZ Top again, haha.
  • edited August 2010
    I've been pondering. If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?
  • edited August 2010
    I've been pondering. If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?

I've been wondering why my hovercraft is full of eels.
  • edited August 2010
    I've been wondering why my hovercraft is full of eels.
    In any case, I'm not buying this record. It's scratched!
  • edited August 2010
    In any case, I'm not buying this record. It's scratched!

May I fondle your buttocks?
  • edited August 2010
    Okay, that last one went too far.
  • edited August 2010
    Okay, that last one went too far.

That's a line!

In the "dictionary", the "translation" for "Can you direct me to the post office" is "May I fondle your buttocks".

And Now For Something Completely Different...
  • edited August 2010
    And Now For Something Completely Different...

It's...
    CompleteFlyingCircusDVD.jpg
  • edited August 2010
    How many things are Monty Python Related out there and I have no idea those are Monty Python's original?
  • edited August 2010
    Holy crap, what's up with all those spamtards and timey whineys?
  • edited August 2010
    My brother replied to my email, to keep those who might care informed.
    He was spending a week in Rome (where he used to live), and is doing fine.
  • edited August 2010
    GaryCXJk wrote: »
    timey whiney

I read that as timey-wimeys.
  • edited August 2010
    I read that as timey-wimeys.

Im still rerading that as timey-wimey
  • edited August 2010
    Avistew wrote: »

Is it true that they still stamp S.P.Q.R. on the manhole covers and the city's crest as a tribute to the old Empire?
  • edited August 2010
    Is it true that they still stamp S.P.Q.R. on the manhole covers and the city's crest as a tribute to the old Empire?

Maybe!
  • edited August 2010
    I totally forgot to tell you, somehow my parents also found the Baby Dairy of my DAD. With the list of how much he weighted, the list of presents, when he got his first teeth and when he started to walk. All with the handwritting of my Grandmother. That was hilarious

My Sister: "He started to walk when he was 1 year old"
    My Mom: Pfff... that's nothing, Ximena (Me) started to walk when she was 11 months old!
    Avistew wrote: »

That's good ^^!
  • edited August 2010
    GinnyN wrote: »
    Ximena

Wow, what country does that name come from?

Also, batch 2 of that guess the costume thing is now up.

I repeat, batch 2 now up.

Just saying.
  • edited August 2010
    GaryCXJk wrote: »
    Wow, what country does that name come from?

Far I do know, is the Catalan version of Jimena, which is the Castillan one. Ok, it's from Spain ^^!
  • edited August 2010
    So, I got my internet switched over to Comcast today. So far it's running faster and has yet to drop once, so I'm happy. The rest of my family is less happy, though. My mom and I took a trip to the support office to pick up a wireless router (since getting one and installing it ourselves is free, but having the guy who installed hook one up was crazy expensive and he couldn't just leave us one), but the office was totally out of them, so we're getting mailed one.

tl;dr: My house now has faster and more reliable internet, but I'm the only one who has internet at all for the next few days.
  • edited August 2010
    does your family know how to set it up?

Do they know well enough to know how to make it secure (ie. how to set up WPA2 encryption and a wireless key that's easy to remember but hard to guess?)
  • edited August 2010
    Nope, none of them would have a clue. I'm the only one keeping the several computers in this house running. Well, except my sister's laptop. She'll only let her douchebag boyfriend work on that. Hell, the only reason I can get onto her desktop in her room is because I created the administrator account on it two years ago and was able to break back in to set myself up an account. And now that she has the laptop, she doesn't even use the damn desktop. But I digress.

As for encryption, I have to stick with WEP shared in order for it to work with my Wii and DS.
  • edited August 2010
    ahh WEP... how sad.

For the rest of you out there, just for the record a password that is "easy to remember but hard to guess" would be something like a word or phrase (one that is rather random) wherein you replace certain letters (usually vowels) with numbers.
    (ie. a=4 or @; e=3; i=1; o=0(zero)

for example, good passwords would be:

0ff1c3sp4c3 ; c0c4c0l4 ; myl4rb4ll00n; ch1ck3ns4ndw1ch ; d0ct0rwh0 ; p34nutbutt3r; 4v11s4st4lk3r

my best passwords have been things wherein I saw something random at my computer desk and used the brand or model as a password (with vowel replacement of course)

...of course this doesn't really apply to Guru since WEP requires very long fricken passwords (usually a string of random characters) in order to be properly secure.
  • edited August 2010
    also... Guru it looks like yur theme song got put #11 on someone's list o' best video game music. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jChHVPyd4-Y
  • edited August 2010
    Of course they did. That song is pure awesome. It's the entire reason I chose this name.

Fun fact: my ringtone for texts is the ocarina Song of Storms.
  • edited August 2010
    Gonna start drivin up to pax tommorow night.

oh boy driving for 14+ hours

i could barely contain myself
  • edited August 2010
    i'm happy now :D
  • edited August 2010
    I has an accomplishment!
  • edited August 2010
    I went to Canada yesterday. I bought two huge boxes of these:

Attachment not found.

I almost bought some of these too, but I decided against it at the last minute.

Attachment not found.
  • edited August 2010
    Man, those Smarties are so much better than our Smarties. I'd forgotten about them. My visit to Canada was a good five or six years ago.
  • edited August 2010
    A stupid story I wanted to tell when the World Cup thread was still alive, but I never get to do it:

For the World Cup of Germany '74, Chile got to dispute a room for go to the Cup with the... ahaha! the URSS. Which is now Russia. The first match was disputed in URSS, with no spectators, no recording, no nothing. In fact, the only thing we know about that match is the Score: 1 - 1. The next match will be obviously in Chile. We were in a middle of a dictatorship in that moment, we were a really under developed country at the time and we were in the End of the World (That without considering they were in the middle of the Cold War and imagine in which side Chile was in that moment).

They chicken out and they didn't come. Chile played alone in a stadium with no spectators and "score" a goal just for say we win the match. Well, that was freak.

Of course, we went to the Cup and the both Germanies kicked our asses, but the calification is a story to never forget.
This discussion has been closed.