The "whatever's on your mind" thread

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    What's buttercream? I'm sure I've never had that in a cake. Is that like the frosting they put everywhere in North America?

Yes! Isn't it awful? I like cake by itself too, or with a slight something on it, but I don't think there is one place to buy a cake around me that doesn't have that frosting on it.

My mom used to make this really delicious hazelnut cake (that was amazing!) so I do like certain cake.
  • edited May 2010
    I think my favourite cake is apple cake. I love making it. It's very similar to a pound cake, but with (cubed) apples in it.
    My second favourite would be chocolate cake with ground almonds instead of flour.

The only think I've ever liked on cake was marzipan, and even then, only for our special Christmas Tree cake (one of the 13 desserts. Yes, a French tradition is having 13 desserts for Christmas, and you're supposed to have a bit of each for good luck :p Best tradition ever). We'd make a chocolate cake (the one mentioned above) and cover it with green marzipan, except for the trunk of course.

Sometimes I'll be okay with a cake sauce, but usually only for mousse-style cakes, and pretty much only berry sauce.
  • edited May 2010
    That all sounds delcious! I love marzipan. I like that 13 dessert tradition too, I wonder why my father never mentioned it. Hmm, I'll have to bring it up for the next holiday. :p
  • edited May 2010
    Marzipan... yummy.

Is it 5 december yet?
  • edited May 2010
    yes
  • edited May 2010
    Eww, marzipan. I don't know if the marzipan I tried was bad or something, but I don't see what everyone seems to love about it.
  • edited May 2010
    it looks like a broom?
  • edited May 2010
    Well, I meant marzipan the candy, but I suppose what I said could be applied to Marzipan the character as well, now that I think about it...

"You're not a broom?!"
  • edited May 2010
    Well, it's almond paste. Tastes like almonds + sugar. Maybe you don't like almonds? Or maybe it's too sweet?
    It's also entirely possible you tried a terrible one. But hey, you're allowed not to like it, that's more for me.

Also, does it count as candy? I thought candy had to be in bite-size pieces or something.
  • edited May 2010
    I love almonds and I love sugar, so I don't know what the hell my problem is with marzipan. And yeah, I'd count it as candy. Bad candy, but I'd say the same about dark chocolate or black licorice.
  • edited May 2010
    I thought candy had to be in bite-size pieces or something.
    Marzipan can be too.
    At least here in the Netherlands (and mostly around November/December).
  • edited May 2010
    Dark chocolate is the best! I love the super dark chocolate...80-90% cocoa!
  • edited May 2010
    Eww, marzipan. I don't know if the marzipan I tried was bad or something, but I don't see what everyone seems to love about it.

Totally agree with you, I can't stand marzipan so I avoid it at all costs.

And now I feel the need to go buy a cake, preferably my favourite "Brunsviger",
    (it's a Danish cake). It looks nasty, but it's a piece of heaven :)
  • edited May 2010
    to be completely honest, ive never even seen real marzipan.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    Dark chocolate is the best! I love the super dark chocolate...80-90% cocoa!

Agreed! Although I prefer the mouthfeel of somewhere between 70 and 80%.
  • edited May 2010
    I don't like dark chocolate (Ian loves it though. Has had up to 98% :eek: That thing is almost straight cocoa) but since I can't have milk that's pretty much all I have, that or semi-sweet (rice milk chocolate is rare for some reason, even though rice and chocolate go so well together! Almond or oat milk chocolate would be delicious too).

I'd make my own but I don't have cocoa butter so I make chocolate things instead (brownies, cakes, spreads...)
    On bread, I like mixing cocoa powder with berry jam. I've mixed it with honey too, but prefer with jam, because it's less sweet (I like confipote-like jam. I don't know the word in English. Confiture means jam, compote means sauce (as in, apple sauce for instance) and confipote is in the middle).

I've only seen marzipan as big blocks or small figurines. I guess I'd call it a confection. And I think it's much too sweet to have on its own, personally.
  • edited May 2010
    i like the lindt chocolates, the ball ones
  • edited May 2010
    Well, then you should come to Holland in November. Enough 'snack-size' marzipan to be found, aside from figures and other sweet stuff.

Best thing of the holiday IMO.
  • edited May 2010
    I've only seen marzipan as big blocks or small figurines. I guess I'd call it a confection. And I think it's much too sweet to have on its own, personally.

I pretty much consider confection a fancy word for fancy candy.

OH GOD YES.

Between this discussion, the steak thread, and the cake/pie thread, I'm getting hungry! Which sucks, since I need to be going to bed, like...an hour ago...
  • edited May 2010
    Any milk chocolate will do, and any time of the day :)
  • edited May 2010
    Pizza breakfest for the win!

*puts on the oven*
  • edited May 2010
    Nothing wrong with that, I have tried eating candy and crisps in the morning :)
  • edited May 2010
    Who hasn't?

(actually, that pretty much sums up my avarage breakfest)
  • edited May 2010

Those are good! :eek:

I have tried some terrible marzipan, but then I have had some amazing marzipan too. You have to sample a variety of brands to really know whether it is the marzipan you dislike or the way it was made.
  • edited May 2010
    It's also pretty simple to make. You mix one part confectioner sugar and one part ground almonds, put them in a food processor for any coloring you might want, and add egg white slowly while the thing is on. When it become a ball, you stop, and it's ready.
  • edited May 2010
    Who hasn't?

(actually, that pretty much sums up my avarage breakfest)

Well that is more than me, I usually don't eat breakfest. :p
  • edited May 2010
    Nothing wrong with that, I have tried eating candy and crisps in the morning :)

Once, I had chocolate mousse, honey soy chicken chips, and pancakes for breakfast. but the best part was, when i cut off a bit of pancake and dipped it in the mousse and put a chip on top, it was pretty good!
  • edited May 2010
    Pizza breakfast for the win!

*puts on the oven*

So you keep your computer directly near the oven, yes?
  • edited May 2010
    Once, I had chocolate mousse, honey soy chicken chips, and pancakes for breakfast. but the best part was, when i cut off a bit of pancake and dipped it in the mousse and put a chip on top, it was pretty good!

Red rock?
  • edited May 2010
    1st post by you: Some people have laptops
    2nd post by you: You know it! Is there any other worthwhile kind?

Maybe edit your post instead of double posting...
  • edited May 2010
    Highway is jealous cos he's sooo close to having as big a post count. ;)
  • edited May 2010
    i really dont care about post count
  • edited May 2010
    Rock rock lobster!!
  • edited May 2010
    i really dont care about post count

You seem to be posting a lot for someone who doesn't care about post count :p
  • edited May 2010
    i have a lot to say
  • edited May 2010
    i have a lot to say

Yeah, I should be doing something else with my time too...
  • edited May 2010
    all the forum and thread titles look like lines to me... I wonder if the site's having difficulties, or if my eyes are.
  • edited May 2010
    all the forum and thread titles look like lines to me... I wonder if the site's having difficulties, or if my eyes are.

I do not see this.
  • edited May 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    I do not see this.

nor do i
  • edited May 2010
    It was just my computer...
    I hope there isn't some in-joke going on in that paddy ashdown thread and it is just nonsense, else I will have embarassed myself.
This discussion has been closed.