The City that Dares not Sleep Speculation Thread

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Well I don't know what to expect, but I think we just might see the fulfillment of the Chrysler Building prophecy way back in 301...
  • edited August 2010
    It's Anton PapierWaite not Arthur.
    Sorry to ask this, but when was Papierwaite's first name revealed? Not that I don't believe you, but I just can't remember it.
  • edited August 2010
    I just noticed in all the episodes except 301 Sam is incapable of fighting in any of the boss fights and its Max who has to work it out. Maybe Sam will take control in 305

Umm...
    Sam did manage to make Brady Culture make Soda Poppers beat himself, electrocuted Myra, hypnotized Harry and blew up the factory, blew up Abraham Lincoln memorial, gave Internet her own respect for the living things back, boiled down Hugh Bliss, sent Demon Santa to hell, saved Easter Island, thought of changing bodies with Monster to defeat Jurgen, found a way to escape from self-destructing space-sumbrero in the last second with Max and Bosco's body, made a cake for Soda Poppers to activate spell and get rid of them once and for all, defeated Skunkape by tricking him trip down to be sucked by the Penal Zone, and with Max's brain power he served as the brute power to beat up Skunkape badly and eliminate Sammun-Mak to restore reality.

During those times Max was tied up, loafing around, acting his death, wandering aimlessly, was trapped in a big gem, shooting without aiming, bragging about being a high priest, walking around in Sam's body, initiating the self-destruction sequence of the ship to make things worse for the duo, caring nothing but himself who was just awarded the Nobel prize and standing on the Devil's Toybox just to feel fuzzy. He did help Sam during his fights with Skunkape and Sammun-Mak, and was the one defeated Charlie Ho-tep for the most part.

Even if you mixed up the names of the duo, your generalization is still incorrect.
  • edited August 2010
    Tilan wrote: »
    Sorry to ask this, but when was Papierwaite's first name revealed? Not that I don't believe you, but I just can't remember it.

Is it written on the door to his office? Can't remember myself but I do remember knowing it.
  • edited August 2010
    Is it written on the door to his office? Can't remember myself but I do remember knowing it.

His office door just says A. Papierwaite. He says his full name when he introduces himself in 302.
  • edited August 2010
    Zeek wrote: »
    His office door just says A. Papierwaite. He says his full name when he introduces himself in 302.

Is that during a scene, or simply when you talk to him? I don't remember his first name ever being said during an introduction.
  • edited August 2010
    Cheri wrote: »
    Is that during a scene, or simply when you talk to him? I don't remember his first name ever being said during an introduction.

He said his first name in 303 when you use the remote control.
  • edited August 2010
    Remote control? You mean the one for the headset, right? Sorry, it's early morning and my mind isn't exactly fired up 100% yet.
  • edited August 2010
    SBCGateAP wrote: »

Sal is a cockroach, but there seems to have been some doubt on if cockroaches are survivors as seen in 303.

I recall this quote:
    when you fall in a bottomless pit, you die of starvation.

Sal's definitely alive. Why? If you use future vision after Sal draws the cake, you will have him saying : "Save yourself , babe." .

So, basically, he'll die from something else, not the bottomless pit D:
  • edited August 2010
    I had a dream that the Statue of Abe Lincoln was the mastermind behind it all, and that Sybil tried to commit suicide. I hope that's not true, but I have been told that my dreams were prophetic on Waiting for the Game Threads.
  • edited August 2010
    thanks queen of the spoilers
  • edited August 2010
    Sal's definitely alive. Why? If you use future vision after Sal draws the cake, you will have him saying : "Save yourself , babe." .

Exactly!
    So, basically, he'll die from something else, not the bottomless pit D:

Oh. Gee. Way to lower my spirits again.
  • edited August 2010
    sal is the main villian.
  • edited August 2010
    Sorry, Falanca I meant in season 3.
  • edited August 2010
    I had a dream that the Statue of Abe Lincoln was the mastermind behind it all, and that Sybil tried to commit suicide. I hope that's not true, but I have been told that my dreams were prophetic on Waiting for the Game Threads.

I have some prophetic dreams too. None about Sam and Max though.
  • edited August 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    Umm...
    Sam did manage to make Brady Culture make Soda Poppers beat himself, electrocuted Myra, hypnotized Harry and blew up the factory, blew up Abraham Lincoln memorial, gave Internet her own respect for the living things back, boiled down Hugh Bliss, sent Demon Santa to hell, saved Easter Island, thought of changing bodies with Monster to defeat Jurgen, found a way to escape from self-destructing space-sumbrero in the last second with Max and Bosco's body, made a cake for Soda Poppers to activate spell and get rid of them once and for all, defeated Skunkape by tricking him trip down to be sucked by the Penal Zone, and with Max's brain power he served as the brute power to beat up Skunkape badly and eliminate Sammun-Mak to restore reality.

During those times Max was tied up, loafing around, acting his death, wandering aimlessly, was trapped in a big gem, shooting without aiming, bragging about being a high priest, walking around in Sam's body, initiating the self-destruction sequence of the ship to make things worse for the duo, caring nothing but himself who was just awarded the Nobel prize and standing on the Devil's Toybox just to feel fuzzy. He did help Sam during his fights with Skunkape and Sammun-Mak, and was the one defeated Charlie Ho-tep for the most part.

Even if you mixed up the names of the duo, your generalization is still incorrect.

He meant in season 3.
  • edited August 2010
    hamza721 wrote: »
    sal is the main villian.

I was sorting out a few things on my computer when I came across a picture that I had forgotton about, originally released by Telltale. Perhaps it is a hint that Sal may infact be.... EVIL!!!! (At least he'll be alive though)!:D

As you can see, Sal is with Skun'ka'pe and not helping the helpless Sam and Max... WHAT CAN IT ALL MEAN!?!?!

Of course it may mean nothing.

25gtoxi.jpg
  • edited August 2010
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    I was sorting out a few things on my computer when I came across a picture that I had forgotton about, originally released by Telltale. Perhaps it is a hint that Sal may infact be.... EVIL!!!! (At least he'll be alive though)!:D

As you can see, Sal is with Skun'ka'pe and not helping the helpless Sam and Max... WHAT CAN IT ALL MEAN!?!?!

Of course it may mean nothing.

25gtoxi.jpg

Max isn't doing anything either...which leads me to believe that HE IS THE MAIN VILLAIN!!!
  • edited August 2010
    he is under sam so what can he do
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited August 2010
    Such a long thread... sorry, I'm only on page 4...
    tabstis wrote: »
    I highly doubt Skunkape and Sal are gone.

Sal's alive, one way or the other; even if he has to be Satan's guard, he will return in ep. 5. In fact, I'm still waiting for Satan to return. After all, he did promise it to Sam & Max; and with the apocalypse going on right now, he sure won't play the innocent bystander. :D
    - Sam psychic powers?

It's really interesting that the toybox was destroyed by the end of ep. 4. However, I presume that the powers will return somehow: They actually make this season what it is, they can't NOT return.

The amount of characters dead (or presumably dead) at this point in the season is incredible, actually. Papierwaite, Yog-Soggoth, Sal, Charlie Ho-Tep, Gordon the Brain, Sammun-Mak, the Tourist Guy, not to forget a larger quantity of molemen and Sam clones. Has any season had such a toll? They can't ALL return in the finale! ;)
    Anyway, having the episode set partly inside of Max (both his body and his mind) would make a lot of sense to me.

To me to - but it would still be an awful reproduction of ToMI's third episode. TTG are not doing the same thing twice!
    All those loose ends? If it weren't for the ending cliffhanger, this season could've pretty much been wrapped up story wise.

I'm with you there. With all the future visions, there sure is something left to be revealed; otherwise, the surprising revelations were nicely spread throughout the season instead of that one pre-planned big bang at the end, which is EXACTLY what ToMI made utterly wrong. From here, a "GOOD WORK" to the TT team. They've really learned this lesson, I can hope.
  • edited August 2010
    The amount of characters dead (or presumably dead) at this point in the season is incredible, actually. Papierwaite, Yog-Soggoth, Sal, Charlie Ho-Tep, Gordon the Brain, Sammun-Mak, the Tourist Guy, not to forget a larger quantity of molemen and Sam clones. Has any season had such a toll? They can't ALL return in the finale! ;)

Santa, the elf, the car, Bosco, Grandpa Stinky, Sam (he did sell his soul to Satan, so thus he WAS dead), Momma Bosco, and of course,
    the Soda Poppers
    all died in Beyond Time and Space (season 2). That is 10 significant, non-generic, able-to-be spoken-with characters, which is higher than the death count of similar characters in The Devil's Playhouse.

6 of those were revived in Beyond Time and Space, which is just below how many deaths of significant characters there have been in The Devil's Playhouse. I would say that it is possible that some will be revived; however, it is unlikely, as TTG has done it already, and they don't usually repeat gimmicks like reviving characters.

This is a short post, but...

tl;dr There were more deaths in Season 2, and almost all of them were revived in the end. However, it is unlikely that TTG will do the whole reviving-people-from-the-dead thing again.
  • edited August 2010
    To add the Season 3 death toll:
    Sameth
    Maximus
    Icebox the elf (murdered by Sameth and Maximus)
  • edited August 2010
    To add the Season 3 death toll:
    Sameth
    Maximus
    Icebox the elf (murdered by Sameth and Maximus)

I included Sameth and Maximus. I didn't know what the name of the canned elf was.
  • edited August 2010
    Wow. There's a PC Download button next to The City that Dares not Sleep on my Your Games page. 0_0

Anyone using a non-crappy computer care to download it and see what it's all about?
  • edited August 2010
    lombre wrote: »
    Wow. There's a PC Download button next to The City that Dares not Sleep on my Your Games page. 0_0

Anyone using a non-crappy computer care to download it and see what it's all about?

Just comes up with the "Oh Crumbs" message.
  • edited August 2010
    Just comes up with the "Oh Crumbs" message.
    Oh. Well, that was less interesting than I had hoped.

Aaand, now back to the regularly scheduled discussion.
  • edited August 2010
    May have had something to do with the re-alignment of that page (all sorted per gametype, instead of buydate... nice).
  • edited August 2010
    Damn. I was hoping for an early release. Where were we?
  • edited August 2010
    Talking about how we got confirmation Sal was dead, and the peasants can't deal with it...
  • edited August 2010
    I'm pretty sure that Sal's not dead. The way I see it, nothing is confirmed until you get proof.
  • edited August 2010
    Damn. I was hoping for an early release.

Wouldn't happen without telling us.
  • edited August 2010
    I still think that Beelzebub will return in the final chapter(Or at least will have a reference). The Reasons are simple:
    1 - He says ''Since you're going to be seeing so much of me later'' on What's New Beelzebub's? Ending
    2 - It's the freaking DEVIL'S toybox! :D
    And for me Sal's dead '-' Simply because of the after credits ending =P But again, I could be totally wrong.
  • edited August 2010
    And for me Sal's dead '-' Simply because of the after credits ending =P But again, I could be totally wrong.

The Super Secret Preorder Forum thread hints that Sal may yet live.

And your English is near perfect, by the way. =D
  • edited August 2010
    Ok, people are saying that Max is possessed by Junior and all that because he's about to destroy the city...

This is Max! If he'd found out earlier that he'd be responsible for the Apocalypse he'd have tried to speed things up!
  • edited August 2010

The Devil's toybox is just a name, it has no relation to Satan whatsoever.
  • edited August 2010
    1 - He says ''Since you're going to be seeing so much of me later'' on What's New Beelzebub's? Ending .

That was a reference to Sam & Max's bad behaviour most likely dooming them to hell when they die

Also I'd like to be able to rescue Sameth and Maximus from hell if we go there again
  • edited August 2010
    I still think that Beelzebub will return in the final chapter(Or at least will have a reference). The Reasons are simple:
    1 - He says ''Since you're going to be seeing so much of me later'' on What's New Beelzebub's? Ending

Wait, there's an after credits ending?
  • edited August 2010
    Wait, there's an after credits ending?

Where
    Stinky's
    calling out to try and find
    Sal
  • edited August 2010
    Hi there, I've been sitting at the sidelines for a while now at these forums but I finally thought it was time to give my two pennies worth

First off on the disscusion of sal's "death" I personally do not believe sal is dead, mostly due to the "save yourself babe" future vision we saw, plus the whole point of sal's character is that he's a nice guy who everybody likes, who is caught up in the tradgedy that follows sam and max around, so he wouldn't die, he'd just be put through increasing levels of pain

Secondly, two things I've noticed and nobody as yet mentioned (to my knowledge); First off, towards the end of the penal zone, when you use the paddle ball on skunkape, sam turns to max and asks him to explain what pyschic powers it gives, when the camera turns to max we see him squated over the mole-men very vampireish with huge eyes, anyone care to explain?
    Also, everytime we switch to max we see a random image pop up for a split second, I would just pass this away as a "it's just max's mind" but in a interview with telltale found on gamespot back when the game was announced, they questioned this and telltale claimed it would be explained in a future episode, speculation anyone?

Sorry if what I've posted is old/holds no clues to the finale I just wanted some disscusion that wasn't "is sal dead?" for a while
  • edited August 2010
    Final-Boss wrote: »
    Secondly, two things I've noticed and nobody as yet mentioned (to my knowledge); First off, towards the end of the penal zone, when you use the paddle ball on skunkape, sam turns to max and asks him to explain what pyschic powers it gives, when the camera turns to max we see him squated over the mole-men very vampireish with huge eyes, anyone care to explain?
    Also, everytime we switch to max we see a random image pop up for a split second, I would just pass this away as a "it's just max's mind" but in a interview with telltale found on gamespot back when the game was announced, they questioned this and telltale claimed it would be explained in a future episode, speculation anyone?

the first one is just max being max. the second one i would think that as well but if telltale did say that it would be explained it would probably be explained in 305.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.