Free episode not available before Febuary

Comments

• edited December 2010
    If you wait until February, you'll need to stop looking at these forums, as the solution to Ep1 bound to be up within 6hrs or so, and discussions with it - thus spoiling things........ so I would be pissed too.......
  • edited December 2010
    All these people who are saying that they arnt going to get the game anymore because their FREE episode won't be coming out till February stop complaining you didnt pay anything for it so why are you complaining.
  • edited December 2010
    prizna wrote: »
    All these people who are saying that they arnt going to get the game anymore because their FREE episode won't be coming out till February stop complaining you didnt pay anything for it so why are you complaining.

Because they left it 4 days before it was due to be released to tell us we would be getting it up to 2 month late. There was nothing in the actual promotion details to say this was the case at all. Now there is no way I can get that money together in 4 days to be able to play with the rest of you, when at the time I could have bought it but thought I'd buy it after playing episode 1. Now I'll just skip the whole thing.
  • edited December 2010
    prizna wrote: »

Redundancy in posting, showing off a simple logic because you think it's able to end the tears of the complaining people. Well, bite me, this thread is 9 pages long and many people said the SAME thing over and over, which was also replied everytime it was asked.

Just because something is free, they can fuck around with the dates as they like, in the last minute? It's making people mad. People planned out their budgets. You can't just say "oh, I'll wait a month and a half" after expecting so much. And if they buy the game before the release of the second episode, technically, it means there wasn't any free episode. You paid to play it = bought it.

People that are complaining ARE planning to buy the game, they're just waiting for the right time because noone knows when Telltale comes up with a new offer coming with the purchase of BTTF. When The Devil's Playhouse's preorder offer ended the whole game got a 15 bucks discount. 15 BUCKS, is much, my friend, and even you can't tell if BTTF will also get such a deal after the release of the first episode. So we waited, and then they threw in a free game, which was great because by that logic we first thought we have one more month to wait for a good deal like that. Then they say "btw, no, you can't play it until second episode". Well, I was PLANNING to buy the game until second episode, so that means I HAVE TO BUY THE GAME TO PLAY THE FREE EPISODE.

Free episode is just for the people that don't even want to buy the game. It has no benefits for us. THEREFORE I have the rights to complain.
  • edited December 2010
    @Falanca

Ok, Im not going to get into an argument over this so just ignore my previous post.
  • edited December 2010
    His girlfriend has turned to gold! What would you expect?? :D

To be happy! He's a pirate! Pirates love gold :p Nah, j/k. His design still sucks, though :p
  • edited December 2010
    Look at it another way..
    The first episode will more than likely end on a cliffhanger.
    If you play it on the 22nd, you will have to wait a month and a half to find out what happens.
    If you download it in February you can play them both together (presuming you decide to purchase the rest of the season).

It isn't false advertising and you are getting something for free so stop complaining.
  • edited December 2010
    Look at it another way..
    The first episode will more than likely end on a cliffhanger.
    If you play it on the 22nd, you will have to wait a month and a half to find out what happens.
    If you download it in February you can play them both together (presuming you decide to purchase the rest of the season).

It isn't false advertising and you are getting something for free so stop complaining.

Wow that's the most logic thing I've ever...

Oh no, nothing.

Why wouldn't we wait till THEY ARE ALL OUT then ? >_>

And it's gonna be SUPER easy to avoid all the spoilers for like, 6 months >_<
  • edited December 2010
    Well 20 dollars isn't that much money... maybe I'll just buy the PC version and the PSN version later... Oh, man I can't believe I'm even considering this!

P.S. I love the tags for this thread:D
  • edited December 2010
    Well 20 dollars isn't that much money... maybe I'll just buy the PC version and the PSN version later... Oh, man I can't believe I'm even considering this!

P.S. I love the tags for this thread:D

That's what I'm doing. >_>

As for poor Guybrush, I don't think Lucasarts could makes a Monkey Island game anymore...that's kinda why Telltale made one, they bought the rights. They were probably just nice enough to say "Sure, use his likeness, but it has to be from one of your old games."
  • edited December 2010

As for poor Guybrush, I don't think Lucasarts could makes a Monkey Island game anymore...that's kinda why Telltale made one, they bought the rights. They were probably just nice enough to say "Sure, use his likeness, but it has to be from one of your old games."

Telltale didn't buy the rights Lucasarts still own the property... hence the Lucasarts logo on the Tales of MI games
  • edited December 2010
    Well then, Lucasarts is still a bunch of idiots. I mean they laid off most of the team from The Force Unleashed, arguably one of the best selling games that they've ever made in the Star Wars franchise, and they still haven't followed up on some of their other hits like Republic Commando, Rogue Squadron, and most importantly Battlefront.
  • edited December 2010

Right. Like how Bioware owns the rights to Star Wars now and nobody but Bioware can make a Star Wars game.
  • edited December 2010
    Part of me wishes that Bioware WAS the only one allowed to make SW games.
  • edited December 2010
    If you didn't know, Lucasarts' new director is actually shutting down every game not made within Lucasarts' own studios. That's why they fired the Force Unleashed people, and why they stopped supporting Bioware's MMORPG based on KOTOR.

I'm not sure what the deal was about Monkey Island but it definitely doesn't look good for a "Tales 2" ... :/
  • edited December 2010
    Okay, I guess I can kinda understand The Old Republic, but TFU?! Isn't that actually made BY LUCASARTS?! This guy's an idiot. I guess that's why the game got cut short. >_< So much for a conclusion to that particular story...guess I'll have to be content with the little bit of DLC we got for TFU2. :( People gripe about the "evils" of Telltale, but it seems to me that Lucasarts is far higher on the chain of evil.
  • edited December 2010
    Okay, I guess I can kinda understand The Old Republic, but TFU?! Isn't that actually made BY LUCASARTS?! This guy's an idiot. I guess that's why the game got cut short. >_< So much for a conclusion to that particular story...guess I'll have to be content with the little bit of DLC we got for TFU2. :( People gripe about the "evils" of Telltale, but it seems to me that Lucasarts is far higher on the chain of evil.
    Someone killing your mother doesn't make a guy that pisses in your cereal any less of a dick.
  • edited December 2010
    People gripe about the "evils" of Telltale, but it seems to me that Lucasarts is far higher on the chain of evil.

There is no evil greater than Activision!
  • edited December 2010
    Someone killing your mother doesn't make a guy that pisses in your cereal any less of a dick.

Lmao !
    Okay, I guess I can kinda understand The Old Republic, but TFU?! Isn't that actually made BY LUCASARTS?! This guy's an idiot. I guess that's why the game got cut short. >_< So much for a conclusion to that particular story...guess I'll have to be content with the little bit of DLC we got for TFU2.

Well, yeah it was. Hum here's a link to the number 1 french videogame website, I'm just gonna translate it quickly for you : http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/2010/00047077-ca-ne-s-arrange-pas-chez-lucasarts.htm

Obviously, things aren't getting any better at Lucasarts, which is running through its biggest crisis to date.
    Paul Meegan, the new president, plans to shut down any external developpement based on the studio's property. They also decided to stop supporting Bioware's Old Republic.

They recently announced they would remanage their staff (meaning firing a lot of people, once TFU 2 is out, but know that already 85 people have been fired in september. Paul Meegan, who doesn't want anything to do anymore with this series also cancelled abruptly the third episode of TFU.)
  • edited December 2010
    Strayth wrote: »
    Obviously, things aren't getting any better at Lucasarts, which is running through its biggest crisis to date.
    Paul Meegan, the new president, plans to shut down any external developpement based on the studio's property. They also decided to stop supporting Bioware's Old Republic.

They recently announced they would remanage their staff (meaning firing a lot of people, once TFU 2 is out, but know that already 85 people have been fired in september. Paul Meegan, who doesn't want anything to do anymore with this series also cancelled abruptly the third episode of TFU.)

So not only is the series being left on a cliffhanger that ruins the canon of the entire trilogy without a follow-up, he's dragging the entire company into the depths of ruin. I guess no one ever told him that all of the really good and really profitable LA games were coproduced with some other company. That, my friends, is pure BS.
  • edited December 2010
    So not only is the series being left on a cliffhanger that ruins the canon of the entire trilogy without a follow-up, he's dragging the entire company into the depths of ruin. I guess no one ever told him that all of the really good and really profitable LA games were coproduced with some other company. That, my friends, is pure BS.

That guy's a total jerk but, in the 90s, Lucasarts was kinda epic, as a game developper/publisher. Actually the article states so and hopes that Lucasarts will soon be able to get back to this.

But yeah Paul Meegan kinda f*cked a lot of people (developpers and gamers)...

As for TFU, they don't ruin the canon if they consider the second episode is not canon, and that Starkiller died in the first one.

BTW, TFU 2 was pretty badly received, because of the shortness of the game, I'm pretty sure Paul Meegan didn't let them do what they wanted nor let them the time they needed...
  • edited December 2010
    Oh I know it was badly received, I've read many threads about it on the LA forums. I'm one that doesn't mind shortness in a game if I have fun playing it and enjoy the story, which I did. I was merely expecting a decent follow up story, better graphics, and more polished gameplay. I got what I wanted. I don't like action games that take 40+ hours to complete. That's what RPGs are for, and even then, I don't take them all at once, hence why my copies of Xenosaga and Final Fantasy XIII still sit on my shelf unfinished. This Paul Meegan guy should be fired, but I doubt he will. He'll keep saying he's doing all this for the good of the company, and ol' flannel-shirt will buy it cause George doesn't care if LA goes under, he's still set for life.
  • edited December 2010
    The following is outdated, or at least slightly innacurate:

http://mixnmojo.com/news/LucasArts-to-compete-with-chickens-lay-off-some-employees
    "LucasArts recently made a minor adjustment in staffing to help us better address the needs of the business," said a LucasArts rep. "We remain committed to our internal studio – and to fostering relationships with trusted external partners – in order to deliver quality games that amaze and inspire fans."

Take that how you will, but it does contradict the first reports.
  • edited December 2010
    Take that how you will, but it does contradict the first reports.

Obviously, but I'm not running the french website so I can't explain it huh ^^. They have several news talking about it, I don't see why they would make it up Oo ... (and it generates millions of viewers per month, so I think they're serious)

Since they did fired a lot of people and cancelled TFU 3 and also stopped supporting TOR, I guess it's not really making much a difference.

Maybe he was talking about some lego BS games like "Lego clone wars game" or something ^^' .
  • edited December 2010
    Lego Star Wars 3, aka Lego Clone Wars. Meh. I enjoy the Clone Wars, but do we really need a Lego version before the series is done?

And it's possible that that statement was made after the enormous backlash that probably happened. I mean, yeah most gamers feel cheated because of how short TFU2 was, but I'd be willing to bet that they at least try TFU3 just to see the end of the saga. *shrugs* Or maybe the guy's just crazy? Maybe we should get Sam & Max to shoot him. :p
  • edited December 2010
    The initial reports exaggerated the situation or took a quote out of context, the second one clarified. No big deal, but I just wanted you to know the initial reports had been countered not long after they hit the internet.

Clone Wars itself doesn't interest me a whole lot, but the LEGO games are almost always solid and great fun. I'll probably pick it up at some stage.
  • edited December 2010
    I just hope they at least release a demo to test my PC. Even though I saw the system specs; my PC is below the minimum requirements. It's still pretty fast, but without a demo I won't found out until February.

My Specs:
    Processor: Intel 3.6 GHz
    Memory: 768 MB RAM = Not met
    Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 6200 256 MB RAM
    Direct X: Direct X 9.0c
  • edited December 2010
    My card is an integrated one, though the memory requirement is above the minimum, and my processor is slightly below the minimum, so I might run into problems, but I'm still gonna try. lol
  • OMAOMA
    edited December 2010
    Well, back on topic...
    I've preordered this game months ago, but still I think this is a pretty bad marketing decision by Telltale, and the possible extra purchases coming from this are not worth the bad publicity this is going to generate.

In the past I've complained at people whining about trivial things such as the iPad getting an early release of Sam&Max 301 (i think it was only 1 or 2 weeks ahead of the PC/Mac release) and things like that. But in this particular case, I think people are right in being a bit pissed off because of not having being told of everything in advance.

Yes, it's "free", but it's still something that came prepackaged with another item (the BluRay movies), so that makes it not completely free, since that "free episode" was an "added value" to the movies box set (maybe the "icing in the cake" or the feature that "seals the deal", so to speak), and you had to pay to get it (though later on they extended the offer for everyone, not only BluRay movie buyers, but people wouldn't have a way to know that beforehand).
    Why did they announce a free episode in october for a 2010 release ? Answer that.
    In TTG's defense I'll say that they didn't actually announce anywhere the episode would have a 2010 release. I haven't seen the actual voucher myself, but I suppose it's exactly like what's shown here, and, as you can see, there's not any date:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/15/back-to-the-future-trilogy-blu-ray-includes-voucher-for-free-epi/

BTW, according to that article, back in October, it seemed even Telltale didn't know whether the free episode would come at the same time or after the launch, so this "delayed until February" must have been a last minute decision.

Anyway, I think any promotion should have ALL information shown upfront, even if it's just in the fine print. I think it was a given that everybody would assume they'd get it when it came out, unless stated otherwise, but it wasn't stated otherwise anywhere! As far as people are explaining, it was not indicated anywhere, not even in "fine print". Not a good way to build trust towards your company in potential new customers who didn't knew anything about TTG before this.
  • edited December 2010
    See the thing is, buying the Blu-ray wasn't the only way to get the free episode, if what I've heard is correct. I didn't even think about that until after I'd bought the Blu-rays, and even then I only did it cause I figured, why the heck not? So it really doesn't bother me. Also, I think a lot of people are irritated because they paid $80 more or less for the blu-rays, which is a ridiculous price...whereas I got it for like $50 something at Wal-Mart... >_>
  • OMAOMA
    edited December 2010
    See the thing is, buying the Blu-ray wasn't the only way to get the free episode, if what I've heard is correct.

Yes, I know. If you re-read my previous post you'll see I talked about that. The free episode was made available to everybody some time after that, so people buying the BluRay sets didn't know that.
    Also, I think a lot of people are irritated because they paid $80 more or less for the blu-rays, which is a ridiculous price...whereas I got it for like $50 something at Wal-Mart... >_>

$80? Wow! See? With such high prices, any extra little feature you throw in can tip the scales enough so a potential purchase becomes an impulse buy. And a free game sounds pretty cool... Until you learn that:

- You will get the game 2 months later than everybody else
    - It's not really free if you want to continue playing episode 2 afterwards, because you have to pay full price for the whole season, including episode 1, even if you already have it, so you end up paying for Episode 1 as well.

So Ep. 1 is not really "free" but more like a extended demo, which you can get for free, but then you have to buy the full game if you want to continue, not just buy the part you haven't played (eps. 2 to 5); you have to buy everything, just like with any demo.

I know the price for the game is pretty low, and, as I said, I already preordered myself months ago, before this was known, but still, I understand people opting to go the free episode route getting a bit pissed with TTG right now.
  • edited December 2010
    They're $39 on Amazon. I could have bought them for less than $20 earlier but I didn't care to have the waxy, screwed-up picture quality.
  • edited December 2010
    biff.jpg
  • edited December 2010
    The German Blu Ray was 34,95 Euro from the start at Amazon.de, that is around 45,67 Dollars.
  • edited December 2010
    My original thoughts when I got this email were to 'reward' people who bought the whole game by giving them the first episode earlier than those who did not buy it. However, I did not consider those who might have had the first episode included as a sort-of extra to buying the Bluray movies.

What it comes down to is bad timing. If TTG were to do this, they should have done it earlier on. Not now. The dollar amount of the game doesn't matter. People still feel like they're getting shafted for a marketing ploy designed to get more people to buy the game just to get Ep 1 earlier. Not me, though. If I get it in February, then that's when I get it.

Telltale, you really need to work on timing your marketing strategies and such. I remember when the ToMI DVD Deluxe Set was on pre-order: by the time that the set was actually shipped, too many people were pissed off about the too-long wait, including myself.

Whoever came up with this latest idea- it was a good idea, but it came way too near the release date. Instead of getting the masses to buy early, you're just pissing them off.
  • edited December 2010
    Getting people to give you their email addresses by registering for a free episode, and then using that email to say "your free episode will be available two months after the game comes out, so how about you just buy it now instead?" is kind of tacky.
  • edited December 2010
    I know 'free is free' and all, but I can see how TTG have lost good will with some fans by not making the terms more obvious.

I think some people are feeling like when as a kid they begged their mom for the cereal box with the cool 'free toy inside!' ad, only to get it home and find they needed to send a self-addressed envelope and allow 6 weeks for shipping. Can't really complain, but it does feel a bit misleading.
  • edited December 2010
    TTG is not promoting any good feelings from me.

As I explained in the platform discussion thread - before this game was announced, I had never heard to TTG or any of their games. As I started following the game, I got really excited about it because it looked like TTG was doing an excellent job. Then things started going downhill.

1. No plans to release the game on the xbox360. I won't go into that argument here, but just to say - for a complete newbie to TTG, that was a big let down.

Then, they seem to redeem themselves by offering the first episode for "free." As a console gamer who only owns an almost 10 year old computer, this would be a great way for me to test whether the game would run on my computer before I buy the "whole season."

2. Now, TTG completely pulls the rug out from under me with an email less than a week before release date, saying I have to wait a month and a half before playing the episode I got for "free."

I care about BTTF - that's what brought me here. I don't care about TTG, I just wanted them to do a good job. But after this, you can bet I won't even try anything else they make except BTTF.

My thoughts (for what they are worth):

If the delay had been made clear from the beginning (as with the No Xbox thing) I wouldn't be near as upset about this. But no, (again to someone new to TTG) it seems like they enjoy leading potential customers to believe one thing to get them hooked, then changing it.

And most importantly, for all of you saying that it's "free" so there is no right to complain... I don't really consider it "free" in the long run. I guess in and of itself, it is "free" if that was all I was ever going to get. However, should the game run on my old computer, I would buy the entire season on the spot. (Read: In December). From what I understand, I would then be paying 25 bucks for the "whole season" - the same price that was paid by all of you who pre-ordered. - even though I already have the first episode for "free." So at the end, what have I gotten more than those that pre-ordered? Simply a chance to make sure it runs on my computer before I buy it.

I've been one who has been checking this board everyday since November for updates on this game. Now, as has been mentioned, I would do best to stay away after release day if I don't want anything spoiled for me.

TTG - I refuse to play your mind-game and buy the whole season now. Honestly, I had been considering pre-ordering at the last minute to get the Puzzle Agent game, and yeah, in the end I can cover 25 bucks, but you have just assured that I will not do so. I understand this is a business and you are in this to make money. I support capitalism. Even looking at it from that perspective though, TTG has just lost money from me. I was ready to spend the 25 bucks now (and if this game was good, I was considering checking out some of the other games members of these forums speak about so postively). That would be at least 25 bucks before the end of the year, and possibly more money next year - I was also thinking of picking up the card game when I purchased the "whole season." If I have to wait until Feb for my "free" episode - so be it. If the game works, will I buy the rest of it - sure. But I honestly hope it find it at a discount like some have been talking about, and I know I won't be adding anything else to my cart.
  • edited December 2010
    If you didn't know, Lucasarts' new director is actually shutting down every game not made within Lucasarts' own studios. That's why they fired the Force Unleashed people, and why they stopped supporting Bioware's MMORPG based on KOTOR.

I'm not sure what the deal was about Monkey Island but it definitely doesn't look good for a "Tales 2" ... :/

Where did you see that Lucasarts had pulled out of supporting The Old Republic? I couldn't find anything on that but your right what LA seem to be doing does bode badly for ToMI 2
  • edited December 2010
    tarasis wrote: »
    Where did you see that Lucasarts had pulled out of supporting The Old Republic? I couldn't find anything on that but your right what LA seem to be doing does bode badly for ToMI 2

It didn't fully pull out supporting, so to speak, but publishing TOR is now EA's business.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.