TV series DVDs from Shout! Factory... Could it be? COULD IT BE?

Comments

• edited August 2007
    Recently I went back to the Shout! Factory website forum where B Ward was confirming the project has been given the green light, and they are working on the 3-Disc DVD set as we speak. Though no definitive date has been mentioned for the series itself, B Ward claims it'll be several months from August, so I'm suspecting either Winter 2007 or early-2008 when it comes out.

I've also been checking Amazon.com to see when preordering is available so I can promptly order my copy in advance. Or if the Telltale Shop starts putting up the preorders here, I'll order it from them. Still miss the show tremendously, and I hate the fact they plucked it off of YouTube, esp. the Christmas Special with Sam's grandmother (or mother, I forget which). Secretly I do hope the popularity of the DVD might inspire a revival of the series. That is, if Purcell still wants to animate the hound and the lagomorph. I'm also looking forward to the reprint of Surfin' the Highway, tho' I still have my original. Who knew that thing would be worth a $100?:D

Anyhoo, that's all I know so far. Hopefully we'll here some more from B Ward soon.
  • edited August 2007
    sigh for the love o pete .. its street value isnt that high haha. Id place a fully arted purcell book signed and arted TPB for 100-140 depending on if the art was colored or sketch standard. Hell I didnt even pay 140 for my hardback. Idk.. lol Things like this are priceless to me but as for seeing people want to pay 100-140$ for a TPB is insane, same with the guy trying to sell his hardback for 300$ I just laugh.
    Any word on if the dvd will have EVERY episode? we dont want them to omit anything.. and I wonder if it will have the shorts.. those were sooo funny.
    Wow I cant wait I have goosebumples
  • edited August 2007
    It's been said it'll have all 24 cartoons. I don't know about the 3 shorts though.
  • edited August 2007
    There's nothing stopping them from releasing a region free NTSC disc :)
  • edited August 2007
    Hey, guys...

I'm happy this news has conjured this amount of excitement. My name is Brian Ward and I am the DVD Producer from Shout! Factory. If you've picked up copies of The Super Mario Bros. Super Show! or Sonic The Hedgehog: The Complete Series, you know my work.

Typically, I like to surf the boards and find the fans, make inquiries on their expectations, answer questions, and generally make myself available to walk folks through the DVD process. That's what I've come here to do now, assuming the great gang at Telltale allows it.

The post above pretty much says it all for now. We have completed Steve's interview cut and are cutting the Telltale interview even as I type this (we're pretty great multi-taskers). As soon as we reach a cut we're all happy with, we'll send them both to Nelvana for their approvals, which I don't anticipate being a problem.

Needless to say (since I already have before), this set has quickly become my favorite-- especially since I've been such a big fan of the characters for years. So with that, I leave you-- with every intention of coming back regularly to take you through our progress. After all, it's through the excitement, feedback, and word-of-mouth from fans like yourselves that we'll make this underground gem a DVD success.

Thanks, guys!

Brian
  • edited August 2007
    Bward wrote: »
    That's what I've come here to do now, assuming the great gang at Telltale allows it.

thumbsup.gif
  • edited August 2007
    Cool to have you here Brian, since I hope you take suggestions for the set. Cover-wise I would really recommend (and hope) that you ask Steve Purcell to do some artwork for the packaging (just take a look at the cover-art he painted for the DVD of the games' first season and you know why this is a MUST), which of course should include some kind of booklet with info on the episodes and the show itself.

Oh, and any chance for audio-commentaries? I assume not, since you've only talked about the interviews...
  • edited August 2007
    I'd quite like a box set similar to the firefly one with an 8 page booklet 9which could include synopses of the episodes

as well as Purcell artwork
  • edited August 2007
    When we interviewed him at Comic-Con we all expressed great interest in having Steve illustrate the cover art (at least). Our art department hasn't officially reached out to him yet, since we're a little early for this stage, but I can assure you that they will in early September.

As for the booklet, it will all depend on our budget. Something like that would come out of our special features budget, a lot of which has already been spent on the interviews we shot in San Diego. We'll certainly see, though. I'd love to include something along the lines of a booklet, if for no other reason than to include the complete episode descriptions.

Brian
  • edited August 2007
    something I'd love to see with these DVDs, have the menus at leaast on the first disc, be the front end of the desotto and all the bumper stickers are the different episode selections, maybe make it the office bulletin board for the second disc, and stuff carved in the desk's surface for the third disk. Of course you've probably already programmed the menus so take everything I said with a grain of salt.
  • edited August 2007
    We've not officially begun the menu designs just yet, but I can tell you that you're not far off from some of our favorite ideas.

Brian
  • edited August 2007
    sweet, cuase, I've had that vision in my mind for some time, from back when I was trying to figure out how to program a custom menu for my home made dvd, I ended up just going with a bunch of videos on a disc with autoplay.
  • edited August 2007
    Please put the shorts on! And you rock BTW I love my super mario show set XD

Awesome news ! Thanks! and welcome!
  • edited August 2007
    At the risk of speaking prematurely--as opposed to immaturely--, it looks we'll have the three Nelvana-produced shorts.

Brian
  • edited August 2007
    I love the packaging for the Harvey Birdman dvd's and alot of the other adult swim sets.
    51eTRWf6%2B1L._SS500_.jpg
    I keep picturing the Sam & Max set to look something like that. Very simple yet affective artwork. Maybe something with coffee stains, and grime.
  • edited August 2007
    It's a thought, and certainly one worth keeping in mind. Nelvana will not--just as we don't--want fans to be confused over which incarnation of Sam & Max this series is. While I adore Telltale's Sam & Max: Season 1 set's cover art, that gritty style not be appropriate for our upcoming set. The cartoon was initially created, after all, for older fans and younger audiences alike and we don't want to alienate either.

I would also be a little concerned about seemingly "ripping off" Adult Swim, since their DVDs all seem to use this style.

I promise you, if everything goes according to plan (though we all know what happens to the best laid plans of mice and men), every fan from every version of Sam & Max will love the artwork.

Brian
  • edited August 2007
    Well, as long as it's better then the VHS covers, lol. The first one they released wasn't that bad, but after that they seemed to just not care anymore.
    I've always admired this fan cover and menu by laserschwert (as seen here http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=1485240&postcount=2 ) But I'm pretty confident yours will turn out good.

Is this release going to be in a regular style dvd case or is it going to be some sort of set with cardboard?
  • edited August 2007
    Yeah a Steve Purcell artwork cover for the DVD is a must.. I would love a commentary on the episode christmas, bloody christmas but it looks like that may not be in your budget.. I suspect we will get plenty of concept artwork?
  • edited August 2007
    Exciting!
  • edited August 2007
    For some reason I own the cartoon on VHS well certain episodes, someone stole one of the disks. But my Comment is that when i watched the episode "Bad Day on the Moon" There was one important part missing. When the cartoon aired thaey had a small segment before commercial where Sam and Max showed you how to make a Sam hand puppet with a brown lunch bag and you could glue food into this mouth and the hand puppet is used as an international sign for something or other. And this segmented piece was not on my VHS. I'd like to see it on the DVD.

Was this released on VHS or did i Ebay my way into a great find of some sort? it looks official enough.

Michelle
  • edited August 2007
    Waxstains wrote: »
    For some reason I own the cartoon on VHS well certain episodes, someone stole one of the disks. But my Comment is that when i watched the episode "Bad Day on the Moon" There was one important part missing. When the cartoon aired thaey had a small segment before commercial where Sam and Max showed you how to make a Sam hand puppet with a brown lunch bag and you could glue food into this mouth and the hand puppet is used as an international sign for something or other. And this segmented piece was not on my VHS. I'd like to see it on the DVD.

Was this released on VHS or did i Ebay my way into a great find of some sort? it looks official enough.

Michelle

That wasn't part of Bad Day on the Moon, it was one of the shorts that aired inbetween shows. It's called Artsy Craftsy Bit of time wasting nonsense and can be found on google video here:
    http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-4526371113989647287&q=sam+max+bit&total=12&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

There were also two other shorts called Vice Squad and Our bewildering Universe. I think those are both on gametap.
  • edited August 2007
    Actually I'd like to see some bonus material from the show, like possibly some outtakes (if you're able to get them) from the show, like scenes probably deemed "too risque" for Fox Kids. As well as probably some interviews with the voice actors (if possible) or the people who helped produced it. Just some thoughts.
  • edited August 2007
    Generally with animation, cut scenes don't get finished because the costs are high enough that there's extensive script and storyboard reviews. At best, you usually get an animatic, which is just the storyboards set to audio to approximate the final result.

I can't speak for sam and max, of course, but that's usually how it works.
  • edited August 2007
    It would be neat to track down the voice actors for interviews. Harvey Atkin, who did the voice for Sam, does those Leons commercials (which is this furniture store here in Canada).

"Ho ho hold the payment event!"
  • edited August 2007
    xChri5x wrote: »
    There were also two other shorts called Vice Squad and Our bewildering Universe. I think those are both on gametap.

Our Bewildering Universe is, but not Vice Squad (also Fools Die on Friday is omitted)

Edit: Actually, Vice Squad forms the introduction to That Darn Gator
  • edited August 2007
    Quuux wrote: »
    Our Bewildering Univers is, but not Vice Squad (also Fools Die on Friday is omitted)

I'm pretty sure Vice Squad is, but I think it's attached to an episode.
  • edited August 2007
    The three shorts we've just officially acquired are:

Vice Squad, Our Bewildering Universe! "Chock Full o' Guts!", and Sam & Max's Artsy Craftsy Bit of Time Wasting Nonsense.

These are all great ideas, gang. Keep 'em coming and thanks for the help!

Brian
  • edited August 2007
    Bward wrote: »
    The three shorts we've just officially acquired are:

Vice Squad, Our Bewildering Universe! "Chock Full o' Guts!", and Sam & Max's Artsy Craftsy Bit of Time Wasting Nonsense.

These are all great ideas, gang. Keep 'em coming and thanks for the help!

Brian

I recommend letting Telltale sell the DVD on their store (if they want)! :D
  • edited August 2007
    There's nothing we'd love more!

Brian
  • edited August 2007
    Here's what I love on dvds: in-character audio commentary. The ones on Freaks&Geeks had me in stitches.
  • edited August 2007
    Here's what I love on dvds: in-character audio commentary. The ones on Freaks&Geeks had me in stitches.

And if the original cartoon voice actors aren't available... maybe the voice actors from Season One could comment on the cartoons in character as Sam and Max? (and comment on how they sounded different back in the 90's)
  • edited August 2007
    Molokov wrote: »
    maybe the voice actors from Season One could comment on the cartoons in character as Sam and Max? (and comment on how they sounded different back in the 90's)

Actually I really like this idea... yet I guess that would kill the budget. Or TellTale is able to talk David Nowlin and William Kasten into it, to do it as kind of a "favor to the fans" (or if they're fans themselves, just freakin' do it!). I know, this whole thing would in someway interfere with the "creative works" of others (in this case Nelvana), but I guess in case of S&M this idea isn't even too crazy...
  • edited August 2007
    and having different voice actors do the commentary wouldn't be too out there, on a few episodes of Ren and Stimpy, they had the characters doing commentary, and Stimpy was very obviously not Billy West, Ren kept making comments like like "Boy your voice sounds wierd", it would have been funny if the new Stimpy didn't suck so much.
  • edited August 2007
    LOL I can hear the throw-back refferances to the game already.

MAX: "Sam, why do we have to do this? You know I don't like the sound of my own voice on tape! It doesn't even sound like me!"

SAM: "Huh, I don't remember ever picking up smoking."
    MAX: "I think these cases were from after the accident with the heater in the office that caused it to smoke like chimney full of extra-crispy pigeon fledglings."
    SAM: "Oh yeah, I still have nightmares about that."
  • edited August 2007
    That is a brilliant idea..if Steve wrote it and they got kasten in..could be very funny :)
  • edited August 2007
    I think it would be funny if they dubbed one of the episodes with new dialoge, but that would probably never happen. They could put in all the stuff the censors didn't like
  • edited August 2007
    They could put in all the stuff the censors didn't like

I don't think any of that got animated, let alone recorded.
  • edited August 2007
    That wasn't part of Bad Day on the Moon, it was one of the shorts that aired inbetween shows. It's called Artsy Craftsy Bit of time wasting nonsense and can be found on google video here:
    http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-4526371113989647287&q=sam+max+bit&total=12&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

So THAT's where "Death from above!" came from.
    I knew I heard that in relation to Max somewhere...
  • edited August 2007
    I always thought that was in the comic too, but I guess not. It's too bad that not more of the original comics were turned into episodes.

b106099579.jpg
  • edited August 2007
    How about any commercial spots to put on the DVD? I'm sure that FOX Kids had some commercials that weren't just footage of the cartoon but had Sam and Max doing something/promoting the cartoon.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.