Episode 202 - Moai Better Blues - Available Now!!

Comments

• edited January 2008
    Yit wrote: »
    When the sun comes up over the International Date Line, it's a new day. Post it. I don't care if it's 4 AM where the TT offices are. Automate it!

Not gonna happen ;)
  • edited January 2008
    So, what time (EST or GMT, I can convert whatever I'm told) do the games usuallu go up?
  • edited January 2008
    Sometime between 9-5am PST usually (GMT -8)
  • edited January 2008
    It's like an appointment with the cable guy.... you never know when he's gonna show up! Fun!
  • edited January 2008
    Try to remain home the entire time, or you may miss it!
  • edited January 2008
    again, this means i'll have to play it after work tommorrow. working on saturdays suck, and so does time zones :D
  • edited January 2008
    they now have personal anthapthy annulments installed on everyones computer.. so they know when the user is in high anticipation, whenever the the user base is so hyped up that it is ready to explode and split the world into 3 semi-equal pieces, and send most of California hurling into the moon... this is when they finally hit "Da Button"

the button is shrouded in mystery... it seems to have come from some far away galaxy, where exitstance is shredded into 149 (or is it 250, i forget) cosmic planes all hurling together in some some form of blackened goo all swirling in a miasma of absolute universe shredding power [pause to catch breath] ... [/pause to catch breath]

the button was found in the telltale bathroom many eons ago after the first of many walls knocked down in the office... this angered the system and it fired "Da Button" at them (apparently with great accuracy through the S.F. sewer complex, which as we all know, must make this an act of god) onto the forhead of the king kahuna (whos identity has been lost to history) it has been passed down though the generations for the past 4 years... and now rests deep within the bowels of telltale (i believe dan conners keeps it on his window sill and it has kinda faded to more of a purple color from being bleached by the direct sunlight)

this button has absolute power... because when pushed, the order of the world is shattered for exactly 72 hours... and it must be pushed frequently as called forth by the king kahuna those many years ago, but not so much as to tear the fabric of the universe asunder... ironically the push of this button made of evil jelly like goo releases a shiny new sam and max episode, which is also kinda gooey (it also produces some ear shattering howl, turns the sky green, and a huge sink hole leading to hell also forms somewhere in the australian wilderness for those 72 hours .. but who cares about that part)

pushing that button is dangerous... and must be done with a stick, the telltale staff are very good at what they do... this is a delicate ritual that CANNOT BE RUSHED... the fate of the universe rests on them pushing that button with oh so much sweet, sweet lovin' (they use the love they have collected from us, i think emily keeps it in a jar in the back of the office fridge, next to a beef burrito that has been back there since the first sam and max episode) and they must also must render an intern *erm* i mean a "sacrifice" to appease the button, oh and for those of you who liked nick.. sorry he has been gone for months, they killed him to release reality 2.0, thats just doug who heartlessly poses as him on this forum

when done properly a huge inter-semdimentional portal forms near the water cooler (enveloping the entire intern bullpen, this is where the sacrifice is needed, to jam up the portal and keep it from spreading) and most of the time it will envelop jake's desk as well (but it don't ever seem interested in him, he must not be "intern-ish" enough for the portal) it just likes to mess up all his papers for fun, and coat his desk in ecto plasm (and cause he is the only web personality i have yet to mention)

after everyone is done screaming and running around... they finally muster up the courage to contain the beast with spears, swords, and liquid nitrogen (bullets dont hurt it, so they have to go high tech), and bind it in a wicker cage

they then ship it off to DRM, wash the blood off the walls, start searching for new interns, send a few thousand email alerts, figure out how to get randy to stop cowering under his desk and then continue working on the next episode....

so for the next person who asks "where is the episode" refer them to this post.... or even quote it 500 times and overload the forum, thats always fun too

P.S. in the time it takes you to read this 50 times... the episode will already be out
  • edited January 2008
    ShaggE wrote: »
    Yeah, but GameTap is the first to offer legal emulation of a wide range of platforms through unique middleware. Whereas Steam only offers PC titles, and the middleware is similar to ones used in the past. (Don't know if it uses a virtual drive like GT does)

Thats true, I didn't really think about that. I'm more impartial towards pc games than console though...
    If the Season One DVD is not compatible with Vista, then just have it for a snack. DVDs are good dipped in honey mustard!

Have you though about deep frying it, it works quite well with cell phones :D
  • edited January 2008
    I'm more impartial towards pc games than console though...

Same, I'm a PC gamer by nature.

On the other hand, I can't resist the allure of not having to worry about system specs and incompatibilities.

On the other other hand, working out compatibility issues can be zen-like at times, since it puts my computer skills to the test.

On the other other other hand....

I'll shut up now :p
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2008
    Ah, okay, thanks for the explanation, I thought it would be released automatically by some script at midnight.
    Yit wrote: »
    When the sun comes up over the International Date Line, it's a new day. Post it. I don't care if it's 4 AM where the TT offices are. Automate it!

As Doug said, this isn't going to happen any time soon. We could do this if we wanted to, don't get me wrong, but here's why we wait until we can release it in person:

1) Launching a game is more complicated than you think. It's never as simple as just throwing a switch. There are a thousand and one details you need to get all perfectly synchronized before you upload anything, and many of those details are things you can't just leave laying around on the server, or in the database, when the game's not released yet, because clever people like you guys will dig them out of the site ahead of time! The easiest solution is to just put them up only when they're actually released.

The more important reason, though, is...

2) An automated game-launching script can't provide tech support when something goes wrong. Only an awake human can do that. We know it would be cool to have the game deploy at midnight GMT. We also know, however, that launch days are always, for obvious reasons, the days with the highest number of tech support requests from you guys.

In the end, if you are one of the unlucky people who runs into a problem with your newly-downloaded episode, would you rather 1) have to wait half a day or more for Telltale to wake up and come to work, before your tech support question was answered, or would you rather that 2) we had just waited to release the episode until we were actually able to help people who had problems, so your tech support request would be answered within hours, or possibly minutes? I can guarantee you that the answer is number two.

While most people don't run into problems, and while most of the time the site launches the game just fine on its own, when something goes wrong, we want to be there, awake, at work. A game launch is the most important, busy day for the entire web team, and we'd rather it happened while we were wide awake, together in the office, able to oversee every step.
  • FloFlo
    edited January 2008
    I would bet that the number of people who'd enjoy the early release far outweighs the people who'd run into problems and would have to wait for tech support to wake up.

But I understand your reasoning, and as a European, I'm used to being screwed anyway ;)
  • edited January 2008
    Honestly, I can't see the reasoning behind the discontent that comes from waiting a few extra hours that a fair amount of users share. I'm already paying next to nothing for either a) a single installment of the season or b) the entire season and receiving complimentary tech support should I run into any problems via the Telltale Forums (something that you'd be hard-pressed to find anywhere else). I'm more than happy to wait a few extra hours to ensure that the deployment of the latest episode is as smooth as possible for myself and the Telltale employees (whom, remember, have to deal with said deployment). It's much easier for the folks at Telltale to release the episode at a time comfortable for them (both development-wise and sleep-wise :p).
  • edited January 2008
    yeah.. prepping to release an episode is hard, do you know how long it takes to sharpen a mace?

(then they have to make sure the email links work, have to confirm the data after its uploaded, make sure the product key system works, have to get the new GFX on the site ready... and get it intregrated into the store)

its kinda like the second coming... some prepare years for it
  • edited January 2008
    Were getting closer, the mytelltale page is "Under the knife". :D

Correction...the entire site, minus the forum is down..
  • edited January 2008
    magical ;)
  • edited January 2008
    Any second now... I'm really looking forward to this since S2E1 was in my opinion a lot better balanced that S1 (eventhough it wasn't as good story-wise as Reality2.0, which is definately my favourite episode, the text-adventure episode was hilarious)
  • edited January 2008
    Any second now... I'm really looking forward to this since S2E1 was in my opinion a lot better balanced that S1 (eventhough it wasn't as good story-wise as Reality2.0, which is definately my favourite episode, the text-adventure episode was hilarious)

202 was a good episode. Though I would have to say that 104 was the best out of season one.
    tabacco wrote: »
    magical ;)

As long as none of the 100's of telltales 56k hamster powered modems blows up :D.
  • edited January 2008
    I have to admit that the Lincoln episode wasn't my favourite ... there were a few too many repetitive parts in there where you weren't given the proper hints... but then again I've always been one for easy games (This doesn't apply to adventures, but for other genres my rule of thumb is that I die twice in the same place, the designers did something wrong).
  • edited January 2008
    I have to admit that the Lincoln episode wasn't my favourite ... there were a few too many repetitive parts in there where you weren't given the proper hints... but then again I've always been one for easy games (This doesn't apply to adventures, but for other genres my rule of thumb is that I die twice in the same place, the designers did something wrong).

Well, I think it was good because of the gags and the musical score, there were some good parts of 105 and 106, and for the rest of them. What I can say definitivly is 102 wasn't the best episode. Personally, 201 trumps all of season one.
  • edited January 2008
    any one who knows if its long until its released?
  • edited January 2008
    Not long, should be in the next hour or 2 i say
  • edited January 2008
    I guess Reality20 is just a lot more funny to those of us that really started playing games when the textadventures appeared and who are quite irritated with the recent rise of MMORPGs :)
  • edited January 2008
    I guess Reality20 is just a lot more funny to those of us that really started playing games when the textadventures appeared and who are quite irritated with the recent rise of MMORPGs :)

I have tried to play some text adventures (Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy), and it is very much different than playing the present day adventure games.
  • edited January 2008
    Pretty much... I didn't actually start with "real" text-adventures. Anybody remembers Leisure Suit Larry? The controls were keyboard based, but actions were text-based. It was fun, especially since I started playing it in grade 3, eventhough English-classes only start at grade 5, so I was learning English along the way - Who'd ever thought LSL could be educational? :)
  • edited January 2008
    Knock door
    say 'Ken sent me'
    Open door
  • edited January 2008
    Pretty much... I didn't actually start with "real" text-adventures. Anybody remembers Leisure Suit Larry? The controls were keyboard based, but actions were text-based. It was fun, especially since I started playing it in grade 3, eventhough English-classes only start at grade 5, so I was learning English along the way - Who'd ever thought LSL could be educational? :)

Well what I didn't mention is that I tried it much more recently, I wasn't really alive during the heyday of text adventures, in the mid 80's
  • edited January 2008
    LOL, I haven't seen these words for over a decade, but yes I still remember them.

Marsha! John!
    Marsha!! John!!
    Marsha!!! John!!!
    (Another boring sitcom)
  • edited January 2008
    LOL, I haven't seen these words for over a decade, but yes I still remember them.

Marsha! John!
    Marsha!! John!!
    Marsha!!! John!!!
    (Another boring sitcom)

??????
  • edited January 2008
    Well what I didn't mention is that I tried it much more recently, I wasn't really alive during the heyday of text adventures, in the mid 80's

Well, I was alive, but I started playing in the early 90s when the adventures started to turn mouse-controlled.
  • edited January 2008
    The main site is "under the knife". You think they're uploading the episode or something?
  • edited January 2008
    Well, I was alive, but I started playing in the early 90s when the adventures started to turn mouse-controlled.

Well I didn't know about the hitchhikers text game until a couple of years ago.
  • edited January 2008
    They're packing up and leaving town with your money
  • edited January 2008

Marsha! John!
    Marsha!! John!!
    Marsha!!! John!!!
    (Another boring sitcom)

Yes! Unlike Compuguy, I -do- remember that one :)

(there was a tv in one of the early rooms in LSL1)
  • edited January 2008
    barchetta wrote: »
    Yes! Unlike Compuguy, I -do- remember that one :)

(there was a tv in one of the early rooms in LSL1)

I've never played any of the LSL games.
  • edited January 2008
    ??????

In LSL, you had to look in the bathroom to get the password "Ken Sent Me". Then you'd give a drink to the drunk guy who'd give you all that he owned... which turned out to be a remote contol... then you'd ge to the door, knock and tell the guy the password. Inside there was a TV on which you had to switch channels a few times to get the guard away from the stairs.

You had to switch channels a few times and the first 10 times or so the whole dialog coming from the TV would be two people saying each others names again and again.
  • edited January 2008
    I get inside, wanting to download 202, and the site is under construction!!:eek: Ohh, the pain!! The AGONY!!

Does anyone have a link?
  • edited January 2008
    It really was educational wasn't it:
    Beware of hookers
    Beware of dark alleys
    Beware of taxis
    Beware of dogs

But if it all goes wrong you can relax knowing that the Sierra revival team will get you up and running again.
  • edited January 2008
    For what it's worth, the Hitchhiker's text adventure is unreasonably difficult, so don't consider it representative of the genre as a whole :)
  • edited January 2008
    tabacco wrote: »
    For what it's worth, the Hitchhiker's text adventure is unreasonably difficult, so don't consider it representative of the genre as a whole :)

I'm not saying that text adventures are bad, that was the first one that I've tried. There are too many other games in the pipe that I have not played yet...
  • edited January 2008

Marsha! John!
    Marsha!! John!!
    Marsha!!! John!!!
    (Another boring sitcom)

The pimp seems vaguely interested, but not enough to leave his post by the stairs.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.