Sam & Max Surfin the Highway - Now Shipping!

Comments

• JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    dg10050 wrote: »
    Just curious, but what will the hardcover end up being like? Will it just be like the paperback with a hard cover and the normal cover art wrapped around (as a removable sleeve type thing)?

The details are still up in the air. It will be similar to the paperback, but not something as simple as a dust jacket of the paperback art (I don't think anyone really actually likes dust jackets... they're kind of annoying, and cheezy when you get down to it!). We're working it out. When we have all the details nailed down I'll post a mockup and specs in this thread for you guys. It'll be sweet, though.
  • edited February 2008
    I vote jacketless. The style of the book gives off that vibe anyway. Hopefully it's embossed too.
  • edited February 2008
    as long as the hardcover is good quality i'm happy
  • MelMel
    edited February 2008
    FYI - the shipping for the hardcover in the US is $14 (and something cents). I'd imagine it's less for the paperback given the lower weight.
  • edited February 2008
    I have a question regarding getting the free copy of Ice station santa. If I get the copy thru buying the book, will that order number count for ordering the full season minus the free episode?
  • edited February 2008
    I'm in Canada and shipping was only $7 (for hardcover)
    edited February 2008
    jab2565 wrote: »
    I have a question regarding getting the free copy of Ice station santa. If I get the copy thru buying the book, will that order number count for ordering the full season minus the free episode?

Yes it will! In fact, if you take a closer look at the Surfin the Highway store page, once you've selected a copy of the book, the price of the Season Two set drops to the $26 upgrade price immediately, so you can take advantage of the deal right there if you want. Alternatively, you can upgrade at any time.
  • edited February 2008
    Ugh...I can't decide if I want the hardcover or paperback. :\

Why choose?

I went *nerdgasm* and got both :D
  • edited February 2008
    ...and probably gave your credit card a stroke or something.
    at least that's what happened to me. i saw the news and went to the store instantly. since both versions of the book are probably pretty awesome, i ckecked them both. then i looked through the "stuff you might also want to buy"-section with the feeling i should be save from further temptation, 'cause i believed everything of interest already to be in my possession. damn, i was wrong...new print. i could, however, keep myself from buying the signed one.
    now all i have to worry about is import tax...and finding a new, better paid job before my credit card is charged. okay, i might also need to get another frame for the print...one to match the one of the street print...i will end up buying two new frames. anyway, i'm quite happy now. the free 201 is a nice idea, i can use is to get someone else addicted to s&m...

the only thing that bothers me is, that there is no edition of the book signed by jake..
  • edited February 2008
    tobar wrote: »
    I love that old-timey pic of Steve and the alligators. :D

I wonder how recently that was taken. His kids must think he's the best dad ever. :D

@wisp - I did the economical thing and ordered the limited edition one first. Once the Season 2 DVD, soundtracks, and other goodies come out, I'll pick up the paperback. I doubt TTG would take it out by May.
  • edited February 2008
    "Peter Pans' gots' kids?!"
    - Hook -

its a movie quote .. dont take it to serious... lol It is a great pic hehe he is a fungi. (another wordplay joke(though unoriginal)... fun guy.. sigh, I better stop before I dig a ditch and bury myself in my on soil
  • edited February 2008
    Zeek wrote: »
    @wisp - I did the economical thing and ordered the limited edition one first.
    ee..co..no...what? you mean, you want to save the planet or something:confused:

*shakes head*i tried that with my last orders, but it somehow never turned out right. so now i order the items as they are listed.

btw, i am really excited how the hardcover will look. the ultimate thrill would be to have it bound in some kind of fake leather, like the stuff printed on the softcover, and then have the title embossed in gold letters. ohh..and the picture from the original cover art should be embedded into the leather in some kind of glass medallion. ahh, forget it..real leather, printed on hand made paper using baby squid ink..
    *shakes head again*sorry..
  • edited February 2008
    Time to cut down my 401k and start investing into limited edition hardcover edition of Surfin The Highway!
  • edited February 2008
    This is certainly helping along the thought process of buying the second season digitally. I'm still glad I have three weeks to decide though. (Looks at bank account balance :()
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited February 2008
    Hi.
    Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere (but after a little bit of research, I couldn't find anything), but a 25% discount on the season two purchase when purchased in conjunction with the book is mentioned in the press release.
    I purchased the complete season two a while back (just about when it first became available).
    I don't suppose there is a way for me to get the discount retroactively if I buy the book now, is there?
    Thank you!
  • edited February 2008
    Well, it's a gift version. Get a friend to play it. :)
    edited February 2008
    Macfly77 wrote: »
    Hi.
    Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere (but after a little bit of research, I couldn't find anything), but a 25% discount on the season two purchase when purchased in conjunction with the book is mentioned in the press release.
    I purchased the complete season two a while back (just about when it first became available).
    I don't suppose there is a way for me to get the discount retroactively if I buy the book now, is there?
    Thank you!

The "25% discount" is actually that when you purchase Surfin the Highway you are also given a free gift copy of Ice Station Santa, which you can give to yourself or to a friend who hasn't played Sam & Max. Once you have an episode of Season Two, purchased or given to you as a gift, or however else you can get a single episode from Telltale, you can use it to "upgrade" to the full Season Two for just $26, which is 25% off the regular price.

The deal isn't retroactive, unfortunately, but if you buy the book, you will still of course get that second complimentary copy of Ice Station Santa which you can give to a friend in lieu of spending nine bucks on some lesser gift they surely wouldn't appreciate as much! :)
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited February 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    The "25% discount" is actually that when you purchase Surfin the Highway you are also given a free gift copy of Ice Station Santa, which you can give to yourself or to a friend who hasn't played Sam & Max. Once you have an episode of Season Two, purchased or given to you as a gift, or however else you can get a single episode from Telltale, you can use it to "upgrade" to the full Season Two for just $26, which is 25% off the regular price.

The deal isn't retroactive, unfortunately, but if you buy the book, you will still of course get that second complimentary copy of Ice Station Santa which you can give to a friend in lieu of spending nine bucks on some lesser gift they surely wouldn't appreciate as much! :)

OK. Now, I just need to make a friend ;)
  • edited February 2008
    Will the Paperback be reprinted, if it is sold out? At the moment i really would like to save on shipping costs and wait until the season 2 DvD is available, but if it is possible, that even the Paperback won't be available anymore at that time, I would order it now.
    edited February 2008
    The goal is to keep the paperback printed and in stock until I die, so hopefully I'll outlast Season Two's DVD.
  • edited February 2008
    Jake is scheduled for death next week, so...
  • edited February 2008
    I demand a S&M Freelance Police badge free with every copy of Surfin' the Highway! :D

P.S. That includes paperbacks.
  • edited February 2008
    tabacco wrote: »

Can't wait! That's just in time for my birthday! :D

sorry...
  • edited February 2008
    tabacco wrote: »

How is he going to end?
  • edited February 2008
    There will be a limited-edition, signed hardcover version (as suspected by basically everyone), but we haven't got many details this very second, other than "it will be extremely awesome." I'll try and fill you guys in in the near future.

This signed, extremely awesome version - is it the same as the hardcover that can be pre-ordered right now or will it be a limited-limited edition of which there's no access to yet?

If I'm going to go all out for hardcover, which I am, I don't want to miss a bell or whistle.
  • edited February 2008
    Mirko wrote: »
    Will the Paperback be reprinted, if it is sold out? At the moment i really would like to save on shipping costs and wait until the season 2 DvD is available, but if it is possible, that even the Paperback won't be available anymore at that time, I would order it now.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing... Maybe if you could allow preordering the DVD sometime soon - that would be very convenient. ;)
  • edited February 2008
    Have you guys by any chance been considering some sort of imitation-leather-bound cover for the hardcover book? That would be amazing.
    edited February 2008
    Have you guys by any chance been considering some sort of imitation-leather-bound cover for the hardcover book? That would be amazing.

We did consider exactly that, but the style we wanted wasn't available from the place we were already in the process of printing with, so we're doing something else. It will be sweet, though.
  • edited February 2008
    Ok, cool. Also, what's the story behind that actual content of the book? Will all of the extra stuff that's on the paperback's cover flaps be in the hardcover in some form? I know there's not much of this stuff, but I'm trying my hardest to convince myself that the hardcover is worth it, and I don't want to be missing anything that's in the paperback. :P (I have a feeling I'll end up spending $100 in the store by the end of next month with the Animated Series on DVD, and the fact that I plan on finally buying the Effigy Mound. Btw, how much longer are you guys planning on selling the Effigy Mound?)
  • edited February 2008
    How is he going to end?

They're keeping that part a surprise. More fun that way. :D
  • edited February 2008
    The goal is to keep the paperback printed and in stock until I die, so hopefully I'll outlast Season Two's DVD.

Thats good to hear!
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    This signed, extremely awesome version - is it the same as the hardcover that can be pre-ordered right now or will it be a limited-limited edition of which there's no access to yet?

The hardcover that's in the store right now is the signed, numbered, extremely awesome limited edition. There is not a limited limited edition that we're keeping secret. ;)
  • edited February 2008
    Well, I just spent my college fund on a hardcover Surfin' the Highway and a copy of the Effigy Mound. This had better be good. ;)
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    If the price of two books was supposed to pay your way through college, I think you might have some problems ahead.
  • edited February 2008
    Actually, the price of two books plus shipping was supposed to pay for college. I had also saved up a bit of agony that was supposed to be spent in college, but is now being spent waiting until the books ship. ;)
  • edited February 2008
    How is he going to end?

Fatal papercut
  • edited February 2008
    Also, this shouldn't be charged until it actually ships, right?

EDIT: Nevermind. Just got an email explaining it.
  • edited February 2008
    Will wrote: »
    If the price of two books was supposed to pay your way through college, I think you might have some problems ahead.

Either that or he goes to the best college ever. Or would that be the worst?
  • edited February 2008
    So I received a shipping confirmation today. Is this just a notification telling me that money was withdrawn from PayPal or did the book really ship?

The spot where the tracking information usually is was blank.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, the tracking area is always blank. It's a bug we're trying to get fixed.

I'll send you your tracking number in a PM.

EDIT: If anyone else wants their tracking number, please send an email to support@telltalegames.com with your order number.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.