Sam & Max Surfin the Highway - Now Shipping!

Comments

• edited February 2008
    Jake wrote: »
    Well, at this point we actually know what we're doing. :) I'd never made a book before, and for a while there it seemed like maybe our printer hadn't either, but now that everyone's on the same page (LOL) things seem to be going a lot more smoothly.

What about The Effigy Mound and The Age of S&M?
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    Steve and his wife did those themselves, and the covers were less ambitious.
  • MelMel
    edited February 2008
    Steve and his wife did those themselves, and the covers were less ambitious.

Telltale just delivered the drugs books to the addicts fans! :D
  • edited February 2008
    Mel wrote: »
    Telltale just delivered the drugs books to the addicts fans! :D

No, I think "addicts" is correct.:p
  • edited February 2008
    SP_A0035.jpg

Yay!
  • edited February 2008
    I want your Doctor Who poster. And possibly the one obscured by your head.
  • edited February 2008
    I didn't know Lance Bass was a member of the TTG forums!
  • edited February 2008
    That's a Legend of Zelda poster.

I'm more worried about that skull on the right, above the bookcase. There's nothing there like that!

Book's excellent, as you could probably guess. Still staggered by the amount of detail Steve puts into his art! And how fat Max is.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, in early drawings Max is pretty pudgy. :D
  • edited March 2008
    Mine arrived today. Oh happy day...Tee hee!! I feel like a little girl again. Thank you oh so very much for the book. And tell mr Purcell when you see him that he's a darlin' ;)
  • edited March 2008
    aww, why did i have to put the soft- and the hardcover into a single order...:(
  • edited March 2008
    I was too busy sticking my nose in the book not to thank you guys back when I got it. Great reprint!

Only complaint is that I feel deprived of color.
    That said I heard someone on the forum mention that the "re-colored" comics didn't look very good. Great job putting it together, Jake!
    edited March 2008
    Wisp, if you don't want to wait and don't mind paying shipping on two orders, you can send an email to support@telltalegames.com and request an order cancellation, and then reorder the two versions separately.
    edited March 2008
    Only complaint is that I feel deprived of color.
    That said I heard someone on the forum mention that the "re-colored" comics didn't look very good. Great job putting it together, Jake!

You know this new version has *more* color than the original Surfin the Highway, not less, right? I think that some people weren't wholly excited by getting Fair Wind to Java in color, but I say they are fools! When most people are talking about bad Sam & Max colorizations, I think they're referring to the Epic Color Collection from waaay back in the day, which has old 80s style comic coloring, which I don't think fits Sam & Max at all. Sam, to my eyes, is this weird sort of poop color; it's awkward.
  • edited March 2008
    Unless Steve colored it himself its probably best to leave it out.. damn ireland and croatia get it before australia! mine can't be far away
  • edited March 2008
    You know this new version has *more* color than the original Surfin the Highway, not less, right? I think that some people weren't wholly excited by getting Fair Wind to Java in color, but I say they are fools! When most people are talking about bad Sam & Max colorizations, I think they're referring to the Epic Color Collection from waaay back in the day, which has old 80s style comic coloring, which I don't think fits Sam & Max at all. Sam, to my eyes, is this weird sort of poop color; it's awkward.

Oh yes, I'm aware there's more color and that's great and all but I wish there was MORE color... wait... I'm not making sense anymore. :D Forget it. :)
    Hero1 wrote: »
    Unless Steve colored it himself its probably best to leave it out.. damn ireland and croatia get it before australia! mine can't be far away

Hmmm... that's strange. I would expect Australia to get it before little ol' me. I feel gifted! :D:p
  • edited March 2008
    Have there been any updates as to the Hardcover edition's eventual release?

Just wonderin'.
    edited March 2008
    Nope, not yet.
    edited March 2008
    Hero1 wrote: »

That's basically the rule, actually. At least that's how it seemed. Anything that was colored by Steve went in the book in color.
    edited March 2008
    This is not final art but is a mostly-finalized concept that we have been kicking around for the hardcover. I thought you guys might like to see it...

surfinhard.jpg

That's maybe not very impressive looking -- it is a hasty Photoshop mockup, after all -- but trust me that it will be really nice when you're holding it in your hands. The real printing process and the secret details going into it which aren't present in this shot will, I think, make people very happy. Cooler images and finer details will be coming up for real, very soon.
  • edited March 2008
    This is even more "grandpa's attic" then the first! Love it!
  • edited March 2008
    It'll go lovely with my collection of 1979 Encyclopaedias :D No robber would dare look there
  • edited March 2008
    i hope at least the back of the book will be fake leather with the letters embossed..that would be so awesome.
  • edited March 2008
    Yay, I got mine! It's all nice and shiny and old-looking (yes, I know). Say, is that thingy on the rear inside flap that looks like a ticket good for something?
  • edited March 2008
    Looks like a classy affair Jake :)
  • edited March 2008
    I really hope you don't make it too awesome so I won't have to spend more money. :D
  • edited March 2008
    Nice to see a mockup of the hardcover. Can't wait until you guys get some sort of physical prototype. :)
    edited March 2008
    The first physical prototype we'll see is the real book!
  • edited March 2008
    for anyone waffling on this purchase, i would like to state that this is 100% worth it. back in 1996 i somehow came across the original version at barnes & noble and bought it (their only copy!). if i'd have known it would fetch a hundred bucks in the future, i would have kept it in better condition. regardless, i've probably read surfin' the highway at least 200 times, and i keep finding new stuff to laugh at every single time. i don't know how steve does it, but almost every panel contains at least 3 or 4 gags. i think he's amazing, speaking as a cartoonist...this collection has singlehandedly shaped my warped sense of humor since i was a high school freshman. mack salmon to lil' stonehenge, it's all there in its cheap american consumerism plasticine glory.

plus, you get added bonus references in the telltale games (well, i can only speak for the "Lobsta Fahts cereal" gag & "fizzball" in "Abe Lincoln Must Die," since that's the only one i've played until t-minus 30 seconds).

buy this, you will not regret it.
  • edited March 2008
    you were hired by jake to post this, right?:D
  • edited March 2008
    I want to buy the special edition so badly but I just can't justify. Now yes I am a huge Sam and Max fan but well it's pretty embarrasing really.

When I first got into Sam and Max (through the 1st season) I immediately went hunting for more. I bought Hit the Road (among other LA games) from Ebay and I ended up looking for Surfin the Highway. Much to my annoyance it was OOP so my only option is Ebay. I managed to find a copy on Ebay but the bid war for it brought the price to well over 100 dollars. (I believe 140 with shipping might have been less my memory is fuzzy on it.)

At the time it was reasonable to me. I didn't expect it to be reprinted so I went for it. I still say it's worth it since it's the original release (and Sam and Max is great) but being able to get a signed, hard cover version for around 100 dollars less hurts.
  • edited March 2008
    Any news on when the hardback version will be shipped? Sorry for the directness, but I figure I'd ask.
  • edited March 2008
    Any news on when the hardback version will be shipped? Sorry for the directness, but I figure I'd ask.
    Spring.
    edited March 2008
    Yep, for now it's still the vague "Spring 2008". When we know something more concrete than that, we'll say so. :)
  • edited March 2008
    Emily wrote: »
    Yep, for now it's still the vague "Spring 2008". When we know something more concrete than that, we'll say so. :)

First off... promise that the vague "Spring 2008" won't turn into a Team Fortress 2 release and take an additional 9 years?

Second off... could we get e-mails when ship dates are confirmed? That would be awesome.
  • edited March 2008
    It's Spring 2008 in 2 days!!!
  • edited March 2008
    It's spring in six months! I can't wait that long! :p

Oblink: Spring 2008
  • edited March 2008
    okay, northern hemisphere spring 2008 would have been better..
    DEMONIIIK wrote: »
    First off... promise that the vague "Spring 2008" won't turn into a Team Fortress 2 release and take an additional 9 years?
    as long as it doesn't turn into a duke nukem never release date..
    xChri5x wrote: »
    It's Spring 2008 in 2 days!!!
    unfortunately spring is 3 months long...
  • edited March 2008
    But we're circling runway!!!
    edited March 2008
    DEMONIIIK wrote: »

Promise. :D
    Second off... could we get e-mails when ship dates are confirmed? That would be awesome.

Not a bad idea... Sure, we can try to remember to do that.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.