The "whatever's on your mind" thread 1.3

Comments

• JenniferJennifer Moderator
    edited August 2013
    A man who was found guilty of manslaughter for murdering a transgender woman in Syracuse, NY in 2008 was sentenced to 25 years in prison in 2009.

Earlier this month that man got set free on a technicality since his trial and conviction was labeled as a hate crime and New York doesn't recognize abuse against transgender individuals as a hate crime.

It's scary that an entire group of people can be abused and discriminated against because of no legislation protecting them (they were going to pass the anti-discrimination law for gender identity along with the anti-discrimination for sexual preference, but gender identity was removed at the last moment before the bill was signed into law). It's even scarier that a murderer can be released on a technicality because of the lack of such a law.

God I hate New York. I want out of here so badly.
  • edited August 2013
    Jennifer wrote: »
    A man who was found guilty of murdering a transgender woman in Syracuse, NY in 2008 was sentenced to 25 years in prison in 2009.

Earlier this month that man got set free on a technicality since his trial and conviction was labeled as a hate crime and New York doesn't recognize abuse against transgender individuals as a hate crime.

It's scary that an entire group of people can be abused and discriminated against because of no legislation protecting them (they were going to pass the anti-discrimination law for gender identity along with the anti-discrimination for sexual preference, but gender identity was removed at the last moment before the bill was signed into law). It's even scarier that a murderer can be released on a technicality because of the lack of such a law.

God I hate New York. I want out of here so badly.

Wow, that's really, really scary. I mean, he murdered someone. It doesn't matter whether or not that it was a hate crime, he should still be in prison. Is he eligible for a retrial?
    edited August 2013
    Friar wrote: »
    Wow, that's really, really scary. I mean, he murdered someone. It doesn't matter whether or not that it was a hate crime, he should still be in prison. Is he eligible for a retrial?
    I'm not sure, but I seriously hope so. I would hope a technicality wouldn't count as a not guilty verdict.

It's extremely scary that a murderer could be set free on such a small technicality in the first place.
  • edited August 2013
    The United States has a law against "double jeopardy" which means that you can't keep sending people back to trial until you find them guilty.

From what I'm reading about the case, he was found not guilty of "manslaughter in the first degree" and also found guilty of a hate crime. That conviction for a hate crime has been overturned because his actions were not deemed a hate crime under current New York law. Or so whatever level of the New York Court of Appeals seemed to think.

If he is tried and found not guilty, he can't be tried again for the same incident. Otherwise, the government would be free to ruin the lives of innocent people by trying them repeatedly for the same thing. Now, a hung jury or a mistrial is different, because no decision was made.

I'm not quite sure how the Court of Appeals functions to reverse a decision in this kind of case, but he can't be convicted of manslaughter by itself because he was already found not guilty of it. It's the hate crime part that is at issue at this point in the case.

By the way, if you've ever seen the movie Double Jeopardy, that movie lies. Double jeopardy means being tried twice for the same instance of a crime. That movie seemed to say that the protagonist, after being wrongfully convicted of murdering someone, could be free to actually murder that person later without fear of prosecution--which is incorrect.
    edited August 2013
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    From what I'm reading about the case, he was found not guilty of "manslaughter in the first degree" and also found guilty of a hate crime. That conviction for a hate crime has been overturned because his actions were not deemed a hate crime under current New York law. Or so whatever level of the New York Court of Appeals seemed to think.
    He wasn't completely found not guilty of first degree manslaughter. The hate crime conviction was a manslaughter verdict on it's own. He was found not guilty of "simple manslaughter" but was found guilty of "first degree manslaughter as a hate crime".

But you're right, it was overturned because it was not deemed a hate crime under current New York law. And that's just scary that a first degree manslaughter conviction can be overturned on a technicality like that.
  • edited August 2013
    People are assholes! And the comments saying she should put up with it are just as bad.
  • edited August 2013
    People get far too emotional over games. So the game sucked. That's no one person's fault. Games aren't solo projects, but the results of huge teams working on it, under the constant supervision of a team of producers. And even if they were, threatening to kill someone because they made something that doesn't cater to your exact tastes is despicable. Its that kind of attitude that makes me ashamed to say I'm a gamer.
  • edited August 2013
    Welcome to the club, Friar.
  • edited August 2013
    coolsome wrote: »
    People are assholes! And the comments saying she should put up with it are just as bad.
    Reading the comments on that article (specifically the first couple pointing out the article is misleading), I get a horrible feeling of Deja Vu. Anyone else?

Oh, and I'm feeling better now, by the way. I know a couple of you were concerned.
  • edited August 2013
    Does this mean I don't have to bake you a birthday cake for Sunday now?

Because I got hungry and ate all the fudge sprinkles.

And I'm still hungry. Turns out they aren't very filling.
  • edited August 2013
    So what you're saying is that the cake... is a lie?

*Slaps Self*

I'd appreciate a Happy Birthday thread, but that's about it.
  • edited August 2013
    But what do you get for the man who has bought everything?
  • edited August 2013
    Hookers. A man can never have too many hookers.
  • edited August 2013
    ...excuse me, I have an order of Cadbury Creme Eggs to cancel.
  • edited August 2013
    So what you're saying is that the cake... is a lie?

*Slaps Self*

I'd appreciate a Happy Birthday thread, but that's about it.

Good, because I'm a terrible cook. Also, threads are cheaper to make.

Whatever happened to that "It's so and so's birthday today!" thing that used to be on the bottom of the forum select doohickey? Underneath the active users.
  • edited August 2013
    But what do you get for the man who has bought everything?

Black Mercy?
  • edited August 2013
    OK, so apparently the solution to being massively depressed is to get completely drunk and then watch Red while eating freshly made popcorn and giggling insanely at every silly thing that happens.

Seriously. I haven't had this much fun in years. Woo!
  • edited August 2013
    Friar wrote: »
    Whatever happened to that "It's so and so's birthday today!" thing that used to be on the bottom of the forum select doohickey? Underneath the active users.

Someone at Telltale at some point thought it was a privacy violation and got rid of it. I don't know if anyone ever actually complained. If you didn't want to be in the list, all you had to do was not enter your birthday in the forums.
  • edited August 2013
    (Not so) live stream of WWE 2k14.

Also everyone probably knows this but Darren Young is the first openly gay wrestler in WWE.
  • edited August 2013
    I was at a birthday party for one of my buddies that other night, and I shit you not, a stripper burst out of the cake.
  • edited August 2013
    coolsome wrote: »

Having read the article on a later date:
    Update:

Jennifer Helper has contacted us to make it clear that she did not leave BioWare as a direct result of the harassment she received at the hands of gamers.

‘BioWare was tremendously supportive of me during that time, and I have experienced nothing like it since, due to the excellent policing of the BioWare Forums and new policies on the BioWare Social Network,’ she told us in an email.

‘I am moving on from BioWare now to pursue other opportunities that let me return to be closer to family in the United States after a wonderful eight years in Canada. I have no intentions to leave the game industry — I love the work that I have done and the reactions from the vast majority of fans and look forward to continuing that work in other venues.’

Also, that site is fucking horrible. As a news site, you do NOT PUT A FUCKING JAVASCRIPT SCRIPT TO AUTOMATICALLY SCROLL ARTICLES ON LEFT AND / OR RIGHT PRESS.
  • edited August 2013
    WarpSpeed wrote: »
    Someone at Telltale at some point thought it was a privacy violation and got rid of it. I don't know if anyone ever actually complained. If you didn't want to be in the list, all you had to do was not enter your birthday in the forums.
    Let's violate everybody's privacy!!!!!!!!!
    Noname215 wrote: »
    I was at a birthday party for one of my buddies that other night, and I shit you not, a stripper burst out of the cake.
    What a waste of good cake. :(
  • edited August 2013

It was made of cardboard. I didn’t stick around for any lapdances, though.
  • edited August 2013
    rW2JCUc.png?1

ok fine I'll charge it
  • edited August 2013
    Let's violate everybody's privacy!!!!!!!!!

tumblr_ltsdvcpVD21r081t2.gif

Also, I'm not on that calendar, and I remember getting a birthday thread, without mentioning my actual Birthday. Odd.
  • edited August 2013
    I've never had a birthday thread.

*sob*

Actually, it's cool. I hardly can remember when my birthday is anyways, so it's not like I really notice until a significant time later.
  • edited August 2013
    a significant time later.
    Some would call it a year.
  • edited August 2013
    One of the telltale employees noticed the thread a gave me a money off voucher, which I thought was awesome.

When I went to use it months later, it didn't work, which is about right.

Also, maybe the reason you've never had a birthday thread is because you don't have a birthday? It's the only logical answer.

Oh, in other news, I may have stumbled into a member of the young enterprise group that beat us in the regional finals a few years back, in the LGBT thread of a student forum I recently joined. This is now stuck looping in my head.
  • edited August 2013
    Gah, almost had to actually listen to that abomination! Thank god for my lightning-quick reflexes (and the 'close tab' button). It's a horrible song, so a small warning to the world would be appreciated next time.

Fuck screen protectors. I've had to bin three of the fuckers now because there's always something wrong with the way I put them on. So screw it - I'll get my dad to do it once I buy some new ones, and then HE can scream in anger until his throat's sore.

*cough*
  • edited August 2013
    I bought some for my 3DS around a year ago, Spent ages smoothing it down, getting the air bubbles out. I then went to remove the final layer of plastic, and the whole blasted thing came off.
  • edited August 2013
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, OWNED!

No offense.
  • edited August 2013
    What sort of screen protectors have you been trying to use? I used to have some trouble with the hard plastic type. Then I switched to Invisible Shield and I've had much better luck with it and its wet application method.
  • edited August 2013
    Gah, almost had to actually listen to that abomination! Thank god for my lightning-quick reflexes (and the 'close tab' button). It's a horrible song, so a small warning to the world would be appreciated next time.
    Whatever, man. I guess you don't have the innocent joy of childhood alive and beaming in your heart, you know, like I do.
  • edited August 2013
    Kidd Thunder is a cool name for a Create A Wrestler on WWE 2k14.
  • edited August 2013
    I am intensely craving candy cap mushroom ice cream.
  • edited August 2013
    What sort of screen protectors have you been trying to use? I used to have some trouble with the hard plastic type. Then I switched to Invisible Shield and I've had much better luck with it and its wet application method.
    Standard plastic ones. I had some luck using a credit card to smooth out the air bubbles, but there's always a few bits you miss and they bug me to no end, so you try and get rid of those and you end up getting more, and... yeah.
  • edited August 2013
    It’s one o’clock in the morning here in San Francisco. I’m stuck waiting for my sister to get home so I can let her into the house. I’m fucking miserable right now.
    edited August 2013
    Me neither, but St. Patrick's Day is my birthday so I hijacked a St. Patrick's Day thread to turn it into a birthday thread for myself.evilgrin.gif
    6a00d8341c579653ef015437db48cc970c-800wi6a00d8341c579653ef015437db48cc970c-800wi
  • edited August 2013
    Noname215 wrote: »
    It’s one o’clock in the morning here in San Francisco. I’m stuck waiting for my sister to get home so I can let her into the house. I’m fucking miserable right now.

If your sister is old enough to stay out 'til 1AM, she's old enough to be given a set of keys to let her own self in. Unless your parents are making sure she knows she'll be noticed if she sleeps somewhere else.
  • edited August 2013

Well, most of the people on this forum are men. One of them is MtnPeak. You do the math.
This discussion has been closed.