Sam and Max 2010...

Comments

• edited January 2010
    I was just looking on the title page for clues and I noticed there was a heart on the fireplace where Sam's stocking used to hang. So I was wondering why there would be a heart on the fireplace. I looked closely at the heart and noticed how there seems to be letters that I think read A+S. Maybe it means abe + Sybil. So that could mean that S&M s3 will be released around valentines day and that the abe/sybil relationship could still have a big role in s3 (maybe one episode they want to get divorced but s&m have to bring them bacck togetner) . So that's my very far-fetched theory. Does anyone believe it? :D :p
  • edited January 2010
    Nope, nobody.
  • edited January 2010
    If there were negative nouns in the dictionary, this would fit nicely under 'not conincidence' ;)

How about "noncoincidence"? :P

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Noncoincidence

By putting the prefix "non" in front of many words, you can create a negative. How very noncoincidental!
  • nikasaurnikasaur Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    I kinda hijacked the Fallout/Morrowind discussion so if you're fixin' to talk about it, go nyah: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14687
  • edited January 2010
    Well that Telltale survey sure revealed some interesting information about the upcoming season..
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    I was confused until I realized that there was more than one page.
  • edited January 2010
    Right, I just finished filling it.
  • edited January 2010
    What? What survey? Where?

(Looks around wildly)

If it was in an email, I didn't get it.
  • edited January 2010
    Shwoo wrote: »
    What? What survey? Where?

(Looks around wildly)

If it was in an email, I didn't get it.

It was in the Telltale Interloper.
  • edited January 2010
    Ah, okay. I'll keep checking my email, then.

Edit: Okay, got it.
  • edited January 2010
    I don't have it... anyone spare a link?
  • edited January 2010
    I would, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to be some kind of subscriber exclusive or something. The would you like to receive our newsletter type question at the points to no, but...

I'd also really like to discuss some of the things in the survey. It was quite interesting.
  • edited January 2010
    Will wrote: »
    I was confused until I realized that there was more than one page.

I want to give you my money!

EDIT: Also can you guys resend the email to me. I accidentally deleted it. PLEEEEAAAASE. *bats eyelashes and makes a sad puppy face*
  • edited January 2010
    The survey did tell us a bit more :)

However, what do you guys think of the
    coupon expiration date being February 14? Does this mean pre-orders for Season 3 might not be much after that date? Or do you think it is just a random date?
  • edited January 2010
    Are only a select few getting it? I haven't gotten it yet...
  • edited January 2010
    It's linked to on the Telltale Interloper, so you should get it eventually if you're signed up for it. Some people get it before others, I guess.
  • edited January 2010
    Derwin wrote: »
    The survey did tell us a bit more :)

However, what do you guys think of the
    coupon expiration date being February 14? Does this mean pre-orders for Season 3 might not be much after that date? Or do you think it is just a random date?

It's a natural choice.
    After all, nothing says "I love you" like a rabbit with an out-sized gun.
  • edited January 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    It's a natural choice.
    After all, nothing says "I love you" like a rabbit with an out-sized gun.

I agree with you and I didn't get my coupon...oh well...maybe sometime soon..hopefully.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    I wonder how you pronounce "Skun'kape".
  • edited January 2010
    I was wondering that too. Is the apostrophe pronounced, signifying a pause, to denote a shortened form of the name, or just decoration? How are those vowels pronounced? Is the e silent?

Yes, I do always overthink these things.* Want to hear about how the views of the Earth and moon in Bright Side of the Moon make no sense?

*For fun, not because I'm bothered by them.
  • edited January 2010
    I think the apostrophe has a slight g-like quality and makes the k following it extra plosive. I also think it's largely there so you don't immediately parse it as skunk-ape. Hence the reminder that the syllables are "skun" and "kape".
  • edited January 2010
    skun-KA-pey
  • edited January 2010
    Wow, some great hints hidden in there:

- Wield psychic powers to battle fearsome villains (This could lead to some interesting puzzles. They mention the psychic powers quite a lot - I'm thinking it might be possible you have some powers in addition to your items, which you can use in a similiar way. This will certainly mix things up quite a bit)
    - Sam & Max: Freelance detectives for outrageous and bizarre (A new official title for the duo?)
    - Sam & Max's biggest series yet (Great!)
    - Sam & Max's most unusual, surreal series yet (Greater!)
    - Inter-connected storyline across 5 monthly episodes (meaning: more like Monkey Island than Telltale's other series)
    - Mysterious paranormal force from across the ages at the core of the story (Ancient Egypt! Maybe! Possibly?)
    - Otherworldly toybox with power granting toys (That would be the one on the concept art on the teaser page)
    - From creators of Monkey Island, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Sam & Max seasons One and Two and Strong Bad games (Ah...)
    - Funny (No way!)
    - New look and styling (I wonder how far they'll take this... Great way to make things keep feeling fresh. After all, we already played 11 episodes with those guys. My favorite hint, that's for sure).
    - Favorite characters from Sam & Max Season One and Two return (wouldn't be the same without good old Abe)
    - Science Fiction stories (as expected by looking at the teaser page)
    - Pulp Horror stories (can't have a demon toy telephone without the story turning into pulp horror)
    - Expanded scope and gaming scenarios - beyond previous Sam & Max series (not sure what this means. Possibly that not everything happens in front of Sam & Max's building. Also I guess it means the episodes will be bigger, with more locations. Whatever it means, it's probably a good thing).

For good measure, here are the three descriptions of the game, also containing some hype-worthy hints:

Wield psychic powers to battle an onslaught of the most unusual and fearsome villains across the galaxy and ages.

A terrible power that has thrived since the beginning of time, for controlling matter and space, calls to fearsome villains -- the strongest and strangest who might wield it -- intergalactic warlords and eldritch gods, under-dwellers and scholars of the arcane.

Gaming's greatest dog and rabbit sleuths Sam & Max must unravel the mystery, with manic Max gaining psychic abilities to shape shift, teleport, read minds and see the future to battle these foes.

This all comes together in a 5 month-long symphony of mayhem that gets deeper and more twisted with each episode.

There’s a terrible power that has thrived since the beginning of time, for controlling matter and space. Should this power fall into the wrong hands -- perhaps granting psychic powers to a sociopathic freelance rabbit detective -- it could threaten the entire universe!

From the outer reaches of the galaxy to the most secret recesses of the mind, the power calls to intergalactic warlords and eldritch gods, under-dwellers and scholars of the arcane -- the strongest and strangest who might wield it.

Do not turn off your gaming device! This time, you are in control! You must help freelance police Sam & Max overpower these threatening forces, master psychic powers and save the universe over the course of 5 monthly episodes. Should you fail to take up this challenge or meet defeat, the galaxy may never recover!
    Working unusual cases for decades in their own inimitable way, 6-foot dog and hyperkinetic rabbit Sam & Max are the only freelance crime solvers of their kind for the unusual, bizarre and just plain outrageous. Sam & Max face their biggest most peculiar challenge yet, spanning the ages, paranormal phenomena and powerful … toys over the course of the epic 5-part comedy adventure that gets more mysterious and surreal with each new monthly episode.
  • edited January 2010
    Tjibbbe wrote: »
    with manic Max gaining psychic abilities to shape shift, teleport, read minds and see the future
    Hm, must have overlooked these when I took the survey. Sound like abusing these powers may be more fun than actually solving the puzzles. :D
  • edited January 2010
    - New look and styling (I wonder how far they'll take this... Great way to make things keep feeling fresh. After all, we already played 11 episodes with those guys. My favorite hint, that's for sure).

I believe they're going to have a more real texture to the animation, so the action will have more:
    1: Believable (not that it wasn't believable before)
    2: More animation to add
    3: Apes throwing rocks
  • edited January 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    I believe they're going to have a more real texture to the, so the action will have more:
    1: Believable (not that it wasn't believable before)
    2: More animation to add
    3: Apes throwing rocks

4. An orangutan popping out of the DeSoto and running rampage through space :p

I still haven't gotten the survey :( Anyone else still waiting on it?
  • edited January 2010
    Max gaining psychic abilities to shape shift, teleport, read minds and see the future to battle these foes.

That was my absolute favourite part of the survey. I can't wait. Teleporting, reading minds and seeing the future all bring lots of options for fun and stories, but I have to admit, what makes me the most curious is the shapeshifting ability.

What is he going to turn into? Will he still be white and with huge teeth for easy recognition? It was great being
    kids and zombies and each other
    so I'm really looking forward to that.

Although, does that mean you play max in a more direct way than before? Or are you Sam, asking him to use his powers? Or does he just do whatever he pleases as usual?

I'm really curious.
  • edited January 2010
    Eldritch? Arcane? Underdwellers? I sense Lovecraft references!
  • edited January 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Although, does that mean you play max in a more direct way than before? Or are you Sam, asking him to use his powers? Or does he just do whatever he pleases as usual?
    I've been thinking that maybe to access his powers he has to use another power: entering a hypnotic trance and being possessed by Inscrutable Entities From Beyond The Fourth Wall Dimension. Wishful thinking, but it would be interesting.
  • edited January 2010
    - From creators of Monkey Island, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Sam & Max seasons One and Two and Strong Bad games (Ah...)

Hmm, could this mean LucasArts is working with Telltale on Season 3?
  • edited January 2010

I can't see why they would do that. Steve Purcell has the rights to Sam & Max, Lucasarts has nothing to say about that. They mean that Mike Stemmle, one of the lead designers on Hit the Road (and Strong Bad, and Tales of Monkey Island) is finally working on a Sam & Max game again.
  • edited January 2010
    " intergalactic warlords and eldritch gods, under-dwellers and scholars of the arcane." - This was the best line I've heard about the new season!
  • edited January 2010
    The only thing I couldn't answer positively in the survey was the reuse of the characters in previous seasons. Except Flint Paper, they don't offer anything anymore.
  • edited January 2010
    Those devs long left LA, and some off them now work at... guess... Telltale Games. For quite some time now too for several of them.
    But of course, it looks good as advertisement for the people who do not know...
  • edited January 2010

I think it means that the people who made S&M Season 1 and 2 and who worked on the original MI series, will be working on the new 2010 Sam & Max.
  • edited January 2010
    Anyone else thinking that 2010 is an interesting number for a sci-fi game? No? I'll shut up then.
  • edited January 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    The only thing I couldn't answer positively in the survey was the reuse of the characters in previous seasons. Except Flint Paper, they don't offer anything anymore.

Except for Jurgen, right? Right?
    Kroms wrote: »
    Anyone else thinking that 2010 is an interesting number for a sci-fi game? No? I'll shut up then.

Yeesh! You people. You see one monkey, and already you're talking monoliths this, and Jupiter-turning-into-a-sun that. At least wait until they show a dolphin pool in Sam and Max's office before you start with the Arthur C. Clarke references!
  • edited January 2010
    Except for Jurgen, right? Right?
    The only reasons I selected that option was for Sybil, Harry and Superball.

Bosco maybe...

Jurgen was appropriate for NOTD, even if I wasn't particularly fond of him.

But his role in What's New Beezlebub was just too underused to develop his character better. Perhaps if he was given a more defining role, I would feel more attatchment for the character.
  • edited January 2010
    Yeesh! You people. You see one monkey, and already you're talking monoliths this, and Jupiter-turning-into-a-sun that. At least wait until they show a dolphin pool in Sam and Max's office before you start with the Arthur C. Clarke references!

Being fans, in other words.

All I mentioned was the Number 23-level connection that is 2010, anyways.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.