Sam and Max 2010...

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Masta23 wrote: »
    tbh I prefer the direct control approach rather than point and click. I didn't mind point and click in the first 2 seasons but now that I have seen how it is done in W&G and TOMI I think that sam and max will greatly benefit from the cinematic approach.

This is how I feel also, I love direct control + mouse.
  • edited December 2009
    lameflame wrote: »
    who cares about sam and max i want season 2 of monkey island

Monkey island games shouldn't come out on such a tight schedule between releases. Look what happened with Escape (which was still a great game mind).
  • edited December 2009
    tredlow wrote: »
    Pfft... Who cares about Sam and Max? I want Telltale Texas Hold'em 2!!

Seriously though, I am just excited about this. When I first played Telltale's Sam and Max, I loved it, but back then Telltale's still pretty raw and new, and Sam and Max seasons 1 and 2 are still pretty much a basic adventure game. Now that I see how Telltale's games get better each series, I would LOVE a Sam and Max game with SBCG4AP's replay value, WaG's detailed environment, and TOMI's amazing storytelling. But most of all, I just want to see more of Sam and Max. It's been almost two years (Well, it will be have been almost two years in January, or whatever) and as much as I love Strong Bad's attitude, Wallace and Gromit's innocence, and Guybrush's witty remarks, I've missed Sam and Max the most, they're the ones who reignited my love of adventure games once again. And I wouldn't mind more drama in the story, like they did in TOMI, as long as they keep the humor.

By the way, MAX gets psychic powers?! Come on, Telltale, you made him president, high-priest of the ocean chimps and you're giving him Psychic powers?! Give something to Sam for a change, will ya?

Oh right, he gets to drive the car and answer the phone, and he gets to do that Banang thing in episode 204.

Sam has everything he needs, he doesn't need anymore. A suit, a cool fedora, and a huge gun.
  • edited December 2009
    Icedhope wrote: »
    Sam has everything he needs, he doesn't need anymore. A suit, a cool fedora, and a huge gun.

Not to mention an indomitably sunny disposition and sang froid!
  • edited December 2009
    I hope they won't try to tie it up with Season 2 and make us a completely different storyline. No more C.O.P.S., no more Soda Poppers, and I'd prefer NO supporting characters from old games except Flint Paper.
  • edited December 2009
    Falanca wrote: »
    I hope they won't try to tie it up with Season 2 and make us a completely different storyline. No more C.O.P.S., no more Soda Poppers, and I'd prefer NO supporting characters from old games except Flint Paper.
    I hope the exact opposite. Am I the only one who likes the recurring characters? I don't want their appearances to feel forced, but I don't want them to vanish and never be seen again, either.
  • edited December 2009
    Shwoo wrote: »
    I hope the exact opposite. Am I the only one who likes the recurring characters? I don't want their appearances to feel forced, but I don't want them to vanish and never be seen again, either.
    You're not. I had NO problem, even in Season One, with recurring characters, sets, and even puzzle scenarios because the puzzles THEMSELVES were very different. For example, getting money to Bosco for something was a puzzle every episode, but the means of obtaining that money was different every time. So, unlike being annoying and same-y(see: Guybrush unlocking anything in Tales), it was just a sitcom-esque narrative structure(a lot of the same general plot "skeletons" with different enough content to make new episodes enjoyable).
  • edited December 2009

Well, I believe their appearances in Season 2 were already rushed, except some characters like Bosco and Stinkies. I'm not sure with the Stinkies, but we can clearly see that Bosco now has no more awesomenesses to offer after everything about him is explained and he's cured from his paranoia.

Less characters from old games means more fresh characters that are DESIGNED to be in critical plot points, and if you ask me THIS is what makes the most qualified plotlines. Forcing some characters that offer no new things to do things and tell jokes does not give that feeling.

I kinda feel like the entire Season 2 is forced. They tried to keep the details interesting by destroying the street, giving us new and more extreme places to go such as North Pole or an UFO or Hell, but what we got from that is a loosely tied up game with lots of polishing on recurring characters. I did not like how MY street that I loved in Season 1 changed into a mess, I did not like how I kept going between so much irrelevant places that does not give you a hint about what the hell is really happening, and I certainly did NOT like how
    ugly, unlikeable nimwits like Soda Poppers
    could get to be the villain. It felt like they never wanted to think of an original main villain so they decided to dig up some old characters and give them a plot that TRIES to make sense (I know we're talking Sam and Max, and things have not to make sense sometimes, but I could TASTE the effort of the writers to make a living sense out of it, it bothered me).

I just want a more well-developed story with interesting characters and full of surprises. The recent concept art really satisfied me. They are so random but (or "AND" rather than "BUT") they're full of promises. I want to know the story behind that Max-gun, that man holding a rose, that psychic powers, that picture which Sam poses as a classic ol' detective, that clown clock and mummy tomb or whatever it's called.
    You're not. I had NO problem, even in Season One, with recurring characters, sets, and even puzzle scenarios because the puzzles THEMSELVES were very different. For example, getting money to Bosco for something was a puzzle every episode, but the means of obtaining that money was different every time. So, unlike being annoying and same-y(see: Guybrush unlocking anything in Tales), it was just a sitcom-esque narrative structure(a lot of the same general plot "skeletons" with different enough content to make new episodes enjoyable).

The characters were fresh and creative in Season One. I even kinda liked Soda Poppers in the first episode. Stories were interesting, evolving, completely creative, different but not completely irrelevant. Running gags were awesome. The villain was villain-y and intimidating compared to the other season's villain
    s

They tried to do the same thing in Season Two, but they knew they couldn't do the EXACT same so they changed the aspects rather than completely re-making them. What we got was a Sybil with no career change, Bosco with no store, and random C.O.P.S doing random car upgrades. Bosco's new role was tolerable because they found a way to fit him in the plot, but for instance Sybil; was not funny. Was not interesting. What she'd been doing while we were trying to solve the cases were so... out of place. I just COULDN'T care her. And then there goes the villain, but I believe I've said too much about it already.
  • edited December 2009
    I AM SO EXCITED I MUST ABUSE CAPSLOCK

Okay done.

The concept art is so totally random. We've got dapper gentleman!Sam, a demonic toy phone, an Egyptian sarcophagus and some kinda spaceship lookin' thing among other things. I have absolutely no clue what to infer from all this. Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be utterly hilarious.

As for Max with psychic powers? Let me be the first to say that I for one welcome our new telekinetic rabbit overlord.
  • edited December 2009
    Yeah i do agreed Sam & Max need new high quality characters, many of them was just so damn annoying boring or outright blank.

Characters design has improved quite a bit in Monkey island, tho they still need to work on unique looks, voice, and some kind of wacky trade for the character like say Murray is a skull, Stan has his light bending jacket.

Few characters i did like it Sam & Max was Bosco, Superball and Flint paper.
  • edited December 2009
    I AM SO EXCITED I MUST ABUSE CAPSLOCK

Okay done.

The concept art is so totally random. We've got dapper gentleman!Sam, a demonic toy phone, an Egyptian sarcophagus and some kinda spaceship lookin' thing among other things. I have absolutely no clue what to infer from all this. Whatever it is, I'm sure it'll be utterly hilarious.

As for Max with psychic powers? Let me be the first to say that I for one welcome our new telekinetic rabbit overlord.

It seems like they're working on something entirely different as I assumed, they don't even address it as "Sam and Max Season 3" to point out the difference. I believe there is space travel involved, and the endless possibilities of space is the perfect material for Sam and Max to make fun of. I'm SO curious about it.
  • edited December 2009
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Not to mention an indomitably sunny disposition and sang froid!

Ah very good point.
  • edited December 2009
    Yay! Sam & Max Season 3! The concept art seems so random & out there...

For some reason, I think that clown phone thing belongs to Satan...
  • edited December 2009
    Well, I believe their appearances in Season 2 were already rushed, except some characters like Bosco and Stinkies. I'm not sure with the Stinkies, but we can clearly see that Bosco now has no more awesomenesses to offer after everything about him is explained and he's cured from his paranoia.

Weird. He has now a Ghost in the Bathroom and probably he's now totally unnestable after he discover everything was because a missunderstanding. And most probably he can't trust no one anymore. Far to be cured from his paranoia, that just make it worse. And, with a reason.
    Less characters from old games means more fresh characters that are DESIGNED to be in critical plot points, and if you ask me THIS is what makes the most qualified plotlines. Forcing some characters that offer no new things to do things and tell jokes does not give that feeling.

They aren't "characters" if they only can be used in "critical plot points". And, by the way, appart of the C.O.P.S. been upgraded to recurring characters, mostly all the apparitions weren't that random at all. At least for me, the only random things were Harry Moleman
    as death
    and, well, the villians (Who meant to be random, so, what the hey =P).

I do admit, and yes, we're agree, more new characters will be awesome, but I'm not agree all the apparitions of the characters were completely random or forced. I mean, I don't know you, but, appart of the people from the street, having a Date Contest with a bunch of losers you already know wasn't that forced, was the way to go!
  • edited December 2009
    I kinda feel like the entire Season 2 is forced. They tried to keep the details interesting by destroying the street, giving us new and more extreme places to go such as North Pole or an UFO or Hell, but what we got from that is a loosely tied up game with lots of polishing on recurring characters. I did not like how MY street that I loved in Season 1 changed into a mess, I did not like how I kept going between so much irrelevant places that does not give you a hint about what the hell is really happening, and I certainly did NOT like how
    ugly, unlikeable nimwits like Soda Poppers
    could get to be the villain. It felt like they never wanted to think of an original main villain so they decided to dig up some old characters and give them a plot that TRIES to make sense (I know we're talking Sam and Max, and things have not to make sense sometimes, but I could TASTE the effort of the writers to make a living sense out of it, it bothered me).

The 2nd Seasons of Everything had the little problem to have to "beat" the first seasons (They HAVE to, no choice) and then been a big stress for the people who are do it. AFTER the second season they, somehow, can relax a bit and actually do a better story which doesn't have to beat another season. Yes, there's a problem in the plot and settings of Season 2 (Somehow, even with the settings of Sam and Max) and, while I love those kind of stories you have to put together (Like Bosco's in Season 2) for some reason, that necessity of been bigger and better than season 1 was, somewhat off. But I loved the second season anyway.

AND, the
    Soda Poppers
    become villians because people already hate them and Telltale decided to make them villians and give to the people a reason to kill them, a la Scrappy Doo in the Scooby Doo Live Action Movie.
    I just want a more well-developed story with interesting characters and full of surprises. The recent concept art really satisfied me. They are so random but (or "AND" rather than "BUT") they're full of promises. I want to know the story behind that Max-gun, that man holding a rose, that psychic powers, that picture which Sam poses as a classic ol' detective, that clown clock and mummy tomb or whatever it's called.

The Clock make me remember the Toybox Story which is posted in Steve Purcell's Blog. If it was a freaking Fiji Mermaid who gives to Max his psychic powers, I gonna laugh all day long.

Yep, I want the same thing as you, BUT at the same time I want to know what happens with the
    demonic possesed
    deSoto, if Sybil
    and Lincoln had an accident or not
    , if Bosco noticed
    he killed his own mother
    . Even if they decided to ditch everything somehow in the first chapter, I wanna know what happened, even in a shout out or whathever. I just wanna know.
  • edited December 2009
    The characters were fresh and creative in Season One. I even kinda liked Soda Poppers in the first episode. Stories were interesting, evolving, completely creative, different but not completely irrelevant. Running gags were awesome. The villain was villain-y and intimidating compared to the other season's villain
    s

They tried to do the same thing in Season Two, but they knew they couldn't do the EXACT same so they changed the aspects rather than completely re-making them. What we got was a Sybil with no career change, Bosco with no store, and random C.O.P.S doing random car upgrades. Bosco's new role was tolerable because they found a way to fit him in the plot, but for instance Sybil; was not funny. Was not interesting. What she'd been doing while we were trying to solve the cases were so... out of place. I just COULDN'T care her. And then there goes the villain, but I believe I've said too much about it already.

I guess I already explained why everything tried to be bigger and better than Season 1 (If they did it is just personal taste), but I still think Season 2 has more good things that bad things like you are complaining here. I don't think the C.O.P.S were out of place hosting the mini-game, and change the focus of the characters is a better idea than just leave them there. We get to know a different angle of them. Yes, Sybil become annoying eventually, but, at least for me, were because I liked the poor Monster.

I think the actual problem is the street changed to offer a new angle and you didn't like it. That is just fine, no one is forcing you to like Season 2 or the recurring characters. But the point here there's other people like me who wanna know what happened with those characters anyway and those guys have to be also addressed because we are also paying customers. I just want to see how Telltale will address both sides somehow. THAT will be pretty interesting to see.

The thing I'm somewhat annoying with you is you trying to force your perpective on us. I'm not really agree with you, I enjoyed Season 2 a lot, even more than Season 1, but that doesn't mean I'm completely blind and I don't see problems with that Season. But, I'm not going in a forum talking about something that is subjetive as a fact. That is just not ok. Really.

(And sorry for the triple post... I went too inspired with this post, sorry again)
  • edited December 2009

So does Max. A cute and marketable face, destructive hands, an unknown hammer-space, and a luger, but he STILL gets all the cool new stuff.

Ah, well. At least Sam gets a mustache. That's cool...
    and some kinda spaceship lookin' thing among other things.

Space ship? I thought that was some sort of outer space potato launcher.

Though one thing I'm curious about is the control scheme. Will it be just like old times or just like TOMI? Personally, I think the best answer is to combine the new and old controls; you can either click on the ground wherever you want to go, or you can use the WASD/arrow keys. That way, everyone wins.
  • edited December 2009
    I know being so random is part of the series' charm, but I'd love to see a bigger and more consistent story. I don't mind the WASD controls, in fact I love them. Other than that I'm soo excited I can eat my own hat. Does Sam get in one of those steampunk time machines that look like Santa's sleigh with the giant Wheel of Fortune on its back?
  • edited December 2009
    So does Max. A cute and marketable face, destructive hands, an unknown hammer-space, and a luger, but he STILL gets all the cool new stuff.

Ah, well. At least Sam gets a mustache. That's cool...

If my theories are correct, I don't think that is sam... I get the feeling that it's one of his ancestors, like his grandfather or someone along those lines, it's just this feeling I have.
  • edited December 2009
    I will agree that the S2 ultimate villian seemed a streach and I think they should have just left it as we expected it to be.

Otherwise, though, I was pleased with the way the plot intertwined.

I do feel that most of the sybil+Abe has been overplayed and shoudl be dropped. If tehy broke up and sybil went back to a new career each eppisode I wouldnt mind, but if they're a couple, they shoudl move off and have 1 throw-a-way joke per eppisode at most. Bosco I'd like to see go broke and return to selling gimmiks (or get rid of him and have somone else do it, I liked the way S1 worked with the gimmiks and the making-money-scams)

I agree that I dont think the hound with the 'tash is Sam, but rather an ancestor... ugh... scary thought... maybe Max's powers are to send people back in time by switching their soul with that of somone else (Quantum Leap meets Sam and Max?)
  • edited December 2009
    If Sam gets a moustache, Max must get his handlebar moustache.
  • edited December 2009
    If my theories are correct, I don't think that is sam... I get the feeling that it's one of his ancestors, like his grandfather or someone along those lines, it's just this feeling I have.
    I'm inclined to agree.
  • edited December 2009
    If Sam gets a moustache, Max must get his handlebar moustache.
    Then you'll be happy to see this piece of... concept art I um... found.

poorlyeditedconceptart.png

Proof!!!!1!!
  • edited December 2009

Proof!!!!1!!

He looks like a menacing figure of awesomeness.
  • edited December 2009

Proof!!!!1!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAmWqQjdLfg
  • edited December 2009
    Oh please, Mr. President! I'll have the mortgage payment by next month! I swear it!
  • edited December 2009
    Lena_P wrote: »
    Oh please, Mr. President! I'll have the mortgage payment by next month! I swear it!

DO ET! Or I'll have to confiscate that little rat that is on your bed
  • edited December 2009

Proof!!!!1!!

wow... so max becomes an evil ringmaster this season? :p (lol sorry but that's what I saw when I looked at that mockup...) Ironically, it still has a large ammount of awesomness in it... I think Max as an evil ringmaster in a circus of terror would be highly amusing!
  • edited December 2009
    The soup thickens. When you look at the page source, it turns out the files containing the voiceover have the words "roach", "prestige" and "governor" in them. Useful hint or random words taken from a dictionary? Hm...
  • edited December 2009
    Harald B wrote: »
    The soup thickens. When you look at the page source, it turns out the files containing the voiceover have the words "roach", "prestige" and "governor" in them. Useful hint or random words taken from a dictionary? Hm...

Plus, 'shadowman' is referred to multiple times. I believe this to be the black and white person because on picture is called it, and the narrator, as the audio files mention it aswell.
  • edited December 2009
    Plus, 'shadowman' is referred to multiple times. I believe this to be the black and white person because on picture is called it, and the narrator, as the audio files mention it aswell.

That guy looks really interesting, and you guys just keep it interesting in every post sent to this topic.
  • edited December 2009
    I had my doubts about this game until I realized what it was.

An action-based game about a psychic by at least one person famous for adventure games.

Oh my god.

OH MY GOD.
  • edited December 2009
    This game is definitely going to rock, I can't wait til a release date.
  • edited December 2009
    Well, if we're looking in the source, I noticed that the code for the audio player lists the "artist" for the audio that plays at the start as "mysterious narrator". Which I guess isn't that helpful.
    xChri5x wrote: »
    That's hilarious! I have such a weakness for clichéd high society trappings.
  • edited December 2009
    the guy who is the narrator sounds like Andrew Chalkin. is that him?
  • edited December 2009
    Though one thing I'm curious about is the control scheme. Will it be just like old times or just like TOMI? Personally, I think the best answer is to combine the new and old controls; you can either click on the ground wherever you want to go, or you can use the WASD/arrow keys. That way, everyone wins.

You need to read page 8 of the thread.

[TTG] Yare wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say that pure Point+Click won't be making an appearance. You can still click on any object you can see to path to it as I said before, but there will also be many times when you are required to directly control the character to make a different part of the environments visible.
    Click+Drag is in as well.
    It's not Wallace & Gromit's selection bracket thing. It's more like Monkey Island.

That's all fine with me. I liked the Monkey Island controls.
  • edited December 2009
    Aw man, I was kind of hoping for an actiony-type game. That mysterious narration was misleading, making it sound like a gameplay genre change rather than a control method change.

Edit: I really hope Max's usage of his psychic powers is always accompanied by cheesy 80's-style visual effects.
  • edited December 2009
    That's all fine with me. I liked the Monkey Island controls.

Yeah, I got no problems with the controls itself, though I really don't like hearing people complaining about it.
  • edited December 2009
    Its sucks that we get canned because of consoles, why must we endure this horrible control scheme, i must say if i was the chief the person or persons who made ASDW would have been fired!. Its so absolute horrible, even in monkey island you get stuck everywhere, and having to use such a horrible control scheme for such a slow game, it just ruins the overall experience, so either you make both, or skip consoles.

Do we really need to boycut you, and let you see if you can run Telltale consoles games, with only selling your games on consoles ?.

Sometimes it amazes me, the nerve these software developers have, oh yeah they wanna start out with the most loyal pc fans, then we get sh*t canned and stuck with horrible drm, horrible controles, horrible over priced games, horrible overpriced DLC, which should be free.

Really a shame, its like the person who made the controller, im afraid to say he should be shot, in this part of the world, you dont change anything, unless you can improve upon it, neither the new controls in adventure games or the controller isnt an improvement or evolution, its de-evolution, going from good to bad or crappy.

I for one cannot support a Sam & Max game with some of the worst controls ever for a POINT AND CLICK GAME, well besides grim fandango, its down on the level, which is so bad so bad.

R.I.P Future games from Telltale then :( guess we gotta hope some other company takes on adventure point and click games and respect their fans. as much as i hate Lucas Arts, atleast they seem to have enough logic to understand points and click is superior in point and click games.

Its a dark day indeed, one of the darkest in Adventure game historie, guess its a good thing if Telltale never does Day of The Tentacle or Full Throttle, because i would be even more pissed if you ruined those good experienced with such horrid controls.

A game developer who doesnt listen to fans is what? because i surely cant find a word for it?.
  • edited December 2009
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    Its sucks that we get canned because of consoles, why must we endure this horrible control scheme, i must say if i was the chief the person or persons who made ASDW would have been fired!. Its so absolute horrible, even in monkey island you get stuck everywhere, and having to use such a horrible control scheme for such a slow game, it just ruins the overall experience, so either you make both, or skip consoles.

Do we really need to boycut you, and let you see if you can run Telltale consoles games, with only selling your games on consoles ?.

Sometimes it amazes me, the nerve these software developers have, oh yeah they wanna start out with the most loyal pc fans, then we get sh*t canned and stuck with horrible drm, horrible controles, horrible over priced games, horrible overpriced DLC, which should be free.

Really a shame, its like the person who made the controller, im afraid to say he should be shot, in this part of the world, you dont change anything, unless you can improve upon it, neither the new controls in adventure games or the controller isnt an improvement or evolution, its de-evolution, going from good to bad or crappy.

I for one cannot support a Sam & Max game with some of the worst controls ever for a POINT AND CLICK GAME, well besides grim fandango, its down on the level, which is so bad so bad.

R.I.P Future games from Telltale then :( guess we gotta hope some other company takes on adventure point and click games and respect their fans. as much as i hate Lucas Arts, atleast they seem to have enough logic to understand points and click is superior in point and click games.

Its a dark day indeed, one of the darkest in Adventure game historie, guess its a good thing if Telltale never does Day of The Tentacle or Full Throttle, because i would be even more pissed if you ruined those good experienced with such horrid controls.

A game developer who doesnt listen to fans is what? because i surely cant find a word for it?.

You, sir, apparently cannot read. You still point, you still click. Characters don't get stuck if you have a sense of direction. :)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.