Sam and Max 2010...

Comments

• edited December 2009
    RMJ1984 wrote: »
    Its sucks that we get canned because of consoles, why must we endure this horrible control scheme, i must say if i was the chief the person or persons who made ASDW would have been fired!. Its so absolute horrible, even in monkey island you get stuck everywhere, and having to use such a horrible control scheme for such a slow game, it just ruins the overall experience, so either you make both, or skip consoles.

Do we really need to boycut you, and let you see if you can run Telltale consoles games, with only selling your games on consoles ?.

Sometimes it amazes me, the nerve these software developers have, oh yeah they wanna start out with the most loyal pc fans, then we get sh*t canned and stuck with horrible drm, horrible controles, horrible over priced games, horrible overpriced DLC, which should be free.

Really a shame, its like the person who made the controller, im afraid to say he should be shot, in this part of the world, you dont change anything, unless you can improve upon it, neither the new controls in adventure games or the controller isnt an improvement or evolution, its de-evolution, going from good to bad or crappy.

I for one cannot support a Sam & Max game with some of the worst controls ever for a POINT AND CLICK GAME, well besides grim fandango, its down on the level, which is so bad so bad.

R.I.P Future games from Telltale then :( guess we gotta hope some other company takes on adventure point and click games and respect their fans. as much as i hate Lucas Arts, atleast they seem to have enough logic to understand points and click is superior in point and click games.

Its a dark day indeed, one of the darkest in Adventure game historie, guess its a good thing if Telltale never does Day of The Tentacle or Full Throttle, because i would be even more pissed if you ruined those good experienced with such horrid controls.

A game developer who doesnt listen to fans is what? because i surely cant find a word for it?.

That would be true, except Lucasarts Secret of Monkey Island - Special Edition's P&C controls SUCKED A- *various animal noises*

And since when don't Telltale listen to their fans?
  • edited December 2009
    I hope there's a parodic reference to complaints about the control system in Season Three. I mean, there was a reference to complaints about the lengths and difficulties of episodes in the Season One finale! Season One!
  • edited December 2009
    Its sucks that we get canned because of consoles, why must we endure this horrible control scheme, i must say if i was the chief the person or persons who made ASDW would have been fired!. Its so absolute horrible, even in monkey island you get stuck everywhere, and having to use such a horrible control scheme for such a slow game, it just ruins the overall experience, so either you make both, or skip consoles.

Do we really need to boycut you, and let you see if you can run Telltale consoles games, with only selling your games on consoles ?.

Sometimes it amazes me, the nerve these software developers have, oh yeah they wanna start out with the most loyal pc fans, then we get sh*t canned and stuck with horrible drm, horrible controles, horrible over priced games, horrible overpriced DLC, which should be free.

Really a shame, its like the person who made the controller, im afraid to say he should be shot, in this part of the world, you dont change anything, unless you can improve upon it, neither the new controls in adventure games or the controller isnt an improvement or evolution, its de-evolution, going from good to bad or crappy.

I for one cannot support a Sam & Max game with some of the worst controls ever for a POINT AND CLICK GAME, well besides grim fandango, its down on the level, which is so bad so bad.

R.I.P Future games from Telltale then :( guess we gotta hope some other company takes on adventure point and click games and respect their fans. as much as i hate Lucas Arts, atleast they seem to have enough logic to understand points and click is superior in point and click games.

Its a dark day indeed, one of the darkest in Adventure game historie, guess its a good thing if Telltale never does Day of The Tentacle or Full Throttle, because i would be even more pissed if you ruined those good experienced with such horrid controls.

A game developer who doesnt listen to fans is what? because i surely cant find a word for it?.

I think you have Telltales controls confused with your momma! :p
    but seriously take the time to get used to keyboard and mouse .. or mouse drag.. it doesn't take that long.. You can still click on objects you see with your mouse to make you walk to a certain spot, so if you do that there is less navigating to be done.. Telltales games are getting better so I can't wait to see what season 3 looks like myself. The control scheme becomes pretty minor once you start playing the game. If Sam & Max wasn't funny..then I'd be complaining.. but not over this..
  • edited December 2009
    Unless I'm mistaken, from the description, it sounds almost like the interface for the Valve games... o_O
  • edited December 2009
    Ashton wrote: »
    Unless I'm mistaken, from the description, it sounds almost like the interface for the Valve games... o_O

You are mistaken. By a large-marge-sentya.gifn.

Get it?
  • edited December 2009
    Lucasarts?
  • edited December 2009
    Ashton wrote: »

Oh god optional first person mode please please please.
  • edited December 2009
    I really don't care about the controls as long as sam and max isn't a platformer, i'm cool.
  • edited December 2009
    About Max's psychic powers: Max_The_Psychonaut_by_bluewolf487.jpg
    (source: http://bluewolf487.deviantart.com/art/Freelance-Psychonaut-78729900)

As for the direct control, that may seem strange, but I'm quite intrigued. I would consider checking it out before making negative comments.
  • edited December 2009
    I for one cannot support a Sam & Max game with some of the worst controls ever for a POINT AND CLICK GAME, well besides grim fandango, its down on the level, which is so bad so bad

I prefer click and drag. Point and click doesn't work too well for these 3D games, since you feel empty as Guybrush/Strong Bad/Sam moves from point a to b.

Things changing isn't bad. This isn't the Apocalypse. "Dark day in Adventure gaming historie", I mean really.
  • edited December 2009
    Kroms wrote: »
    I prefer click and drag. Point and click doesn't work too well for these 3D games, since you feel empty as Guybrush/Strong Bad/Sam moves from point a to b.

Things changing isn't bad. This isn't the Apocalypse. "Dark day in Adventure gaming historie", I mean really.

I agree, click and drag is a wonderful thing. I mean controls will change there is no avoiding it, but if it doesn't work for one season, it will probably go back to the original way, change is only temporary before a new change comes along.
  • edited December 2009

Without responding to the entire rant, I just wonder how many people are represented by this "we" who would "boycut". I'm missing the point-and-click scheme, too, but I'll be damned if I deprive myself of any Sam&Max goodness only because Telltale doesn't do everything like I wish...
  • edited December 2009
    "boycut" sounds like an emo band name invented by a Japanese record company. "Boycutter" on the other hand ...
  • edited December 2009
    Yay! Sam & Max Season 3! The concept art seems so random & out there...

For some reason, I think that clown phone thing belongs to Satan...
    I just noticed it has a pentagram on the side. Also with eight digits it's not going to be calling ordinary numbers. Hm.
  • edited December 2009
    Well, I didn't read the whole thread and dont know if it was mentioned, but I hope there will be NO MORE soda poppers in the game, they were just plain annoying.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2009
    Lena_P wrote: »
    "boycut" sounds like an emo band name invented by a Japanese record company. "Boycutter" on the other hand ...

"Boycut" is a style of women's underwear. :p
    Harald B wrote: »
    Also with eight digits it's not going to be calling ordinary numbers. Hm.

Heh, nice find. The teeth are a bit freaky - maybe it's a speaker-phone?
  • edited December 2009
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    "Boycut" is a style of women's underwear. :p

Did I just lose some girl cred for not knowing that? :o
  • edited December 2009
    Cyrus7 wrote: »
    Also, I think Max and Raz are voiced by the same version in the German dubs. They sound really similar, anyway.
  • edited December 2009

With me, no..cause I didn't know it either.
  • edited December 2009
    Cyrus7 wrote: »
    About Max's psychic powers: (picture)

It all makes sense now!

RE: Direct control: I dunno, I really like the WASD+mouse control scheme in ToMI. I don't really see how it's "selling out to the consoles" (I... really hate that phrase. And PC elitism in general, but that's for another debate) when it's the same kind of control scheme other PC games use.
  • edited December 2009
    I really like it too, you know. because all that clicking to move everywhere is eventually going to break your mouse, I should know, I've done it. It will start thinking that you clicked twice no matter where you click, which gets really annoying at times.

I'm all for WASD as long as I still point and click to look at stuff and pick stuff up
  • edited December 2009
    [TTG] Yare wrote: »
    The current plan (subject to change!) is that you will navigate the character with WASD/arrows/control stick and use another stick or mouse or whatever to move the cursor. You still click on things with the cursor to activate them, and if you are out too far away to activate them then you will path to it first.

It's not Resident Evil-style "spam A on everything in the environment as you run around" or Wallace & Gromit's selection bracket thing. It's more like Monkey Island.

Fine with me. I personally loved TMI controls.
  • edited December 2009
    Seriously… there is a new Sam & Max coming out, and half of the discussions are about the controls? Come on people, you’ll get the awesome Sam&Max-experience, whatever the controls are.

I don’t believe that the mysterious voice on the teaser-page is actually talking about the controls of the game… I guess he means Max’ psychic abilities.
    edited December 2009
    Icedhope wrote: »
    With me, no..cause I didn't know it either.

Hehe, no, you guys can keep your girl cred. I think "shorties" is a much more common name for them. :)
  • edited December 2009
    Majus wrote: »
    Seriously… there is a new Sam & Max coming out, and half of the discussions are about the controls? Come on people, you’ll get the awesome Sam&Max-experience, whatever the controls are.

I don’t believe that the mysterious voice on the teaser-page is actually talking about the controls of the game… I guess he means Max’ psychic abilities.

Honestly, that's what most gamers care about is controls.

All I care about is Sam&Max, it doesn't matter the controls. I get to see somthing I've wanted to see since ToMI came out. I'm over joyed.

Yeah the voice is probably talking about his psychic abilities or the premise for the season.
  • [TTG] Yare[TTG] Yare Telltale Alumni
    edited December 2009

Because Internet boycotts of PC games has worked so well in the past?

1258035395841.jpg

uDdCG.jpg
  • edited December 2009
    Icedhope wrote: »
    All I care about is Sam&Max, it doesn't matter the controls. I get to see somthing I've wanted to see since ToMI came out. I'm over joyed.
    I REALLY care about Sam & Max, and so I want to enjoy the games as much as possible! Unfortunately, the ToMI control system frequently spoiled the experience for me, and I'd be really disappointed if the same happened for Sam & Max!
  • edited December 2009
    serializer wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the ToMI control system frequently spoiled the experience for me

What was the big freaking deal with the control system? I personally LIKE moving my character around freely. Everyone is saying that point and click is better, which makes NO sense to me. Isn't is boring just sitting there

*click* *click" *click* *click*

:confused:

I for one am not going to complain about this kind of crap. It's their game, they can do whatever the heck they want with it.
  • edited December 2009
    thatdude98 wrote: »
    What was the big freaking deal with the control system? I personally LIKE moving my character around freely. Everyone is saying that point and click is better, which makes NO sense to me. Isn't is boring just sitting there [...]
    Okay, you like it TMIstyle, but I don't understand why Telltale dropped the old system. You could easily have both, because each system doesn't block any of the controls needed for the other...
  • edited December 2009
    Some of you guys really need to learn to pace yourselves. If you get this worked up over a teaser page with some concept art, you're going to be all out of rage by the time we start releasing screenshots and demos. And then who's going to be left to complain about the color palette or camera FOV or choice of fonts? We don't have an audience the size of Diablo 3; we're gonna need all of you guys fresh and jumping to conclusions at full power if we want this to be a bonafide videogame release.

We just released the teaser last week, so we want to give you guys something to speculate about, but I will respond to a few things that keep popping up:

1) As Yare said, the control scheme is currently based on Tales of Monkey Island's, with some refinements. That's not "cursorless controls," wherever that came from -- you still point and click objects to interact with them, but have direct control over the playable character. Explanations of why we prefer direct control over point and click to move are scattered throughout the Wallace & Gromit and Tales of Monkey Island forums.

2) The game isn't based on the Plunge Through Space pitch from Infinite Machine, nor on the Freelance Police project from LucasArts. It's a new story that came out of brainstorming meetings between us and Steve.

3) It's going to be cool.
  • edited December 2009
    Sounds like its shaping up to be a great season.:)
  • edited December 2009
    Point & Drag has my doubts on this one, but still I believe this will be the greatest season of all. Take your time guys!
  • edited December 2009
    Majus wrote: »

Hey, we also talked about women's underwear! (Incidentally, puzzlebox, were you referring to those "men's briefs" they sell as pajama bottoms? Or shorts-cut briefs?)

And Chuck, you forgot:

4) It be stylin'.

Just sayin'.
    edited December 2009
    Hey, we also talked about women's underwear! (Incidentally, puzzlebox, were you referring to those "men's briefs" they sell as pajama bottoms? Or shorts-cut briefs?)

Well, since you asked, the shorts-cut briefs (as opposed to bikini-cut briefs) are what I would normally refer to as "boy-cut" or "shorties". Might be Aussie/UK specific.

^ This is TOTALLY Sam & Max related because underwear also popped up in the merchandise thread (it wasn't me, I swear on my furry white tail)!
  • edited December 2009
    Chuck wrote: »
    Some of you guys really need to learn to pace yourselves. If you get this worked up over a teaser page with some concept art, you're going to be all out of rage by the time we start releasing screenshots and demos. And then who's going to be left to complain about the color palette or camera FOV or choice of fonts? We don't have an audience the size of Diablo 3; we're gonna need all of you guys fresh and jumping to conclusions at full power if we want this to be a bonafide videogame release.

We just released the teaser last week, so we want to give you guys something to speculate about, but I will respond to a few things that keep popping up:

1) As Yare said, the control scheme is currently based on Tales of Monkey Island's, with some refinements. That's not "cursorless controls," wherever that came from -- you still point and click objects to interact with them, but have direct control over the playable character. Explanations of why we prefer direct control over point and click to move are scattered throughout the Wallace & Gromit and Tales of Monkey Island forums.

2) The game isn't based on the Plunge Through Space pitch from Infinite Machine, nor on the Freelance Police project from LucasArts. It's a new story that came out of brainstorming meetings between us and Steve.

Can we get a Qsomething2010 guesstimate?
  • edited December 2009
    I got my jump to conclusion mat at the ready!
  • edited December 2009
    Hero1 wrote: »
    I got my jump to conclusion mat at the ready!

Oooh are those expensive, I may want to pick one up too.
  • edited December 2009
    Are we going to get to play Max this time? Wait, nevermind I already know the answer.
    Maybe
  • edited December 2009
    Chuck wrote: »

My conclusion is that Max is going to be killed off, and replaced with a manicly depressed teddy bear named Bruce. Sam will lose one of his limbs, not saying which, and end up with a robotic limb that can fire rockets out of the kneecaps. Flint Paper hooks up with Sybil and Sybil becomes a femme fatale, a dangerous woman with a deadly past. There is a Peter Lorre lookalike with a shady five game contract and a pen made from E.T.'s actual finger.

However, Max points out in a cutscene that the game is still called Sam and Max, not Sam and Bruce, therefore the game resets halfway through giving you anothe chance to avoid Max's demise at the hands of the giant clown Bozo-zilla.
  • edited December 2009
    ... giving you anothe chance to avoid Max's demise at the hands of the giant clown Bozo-zilla.

HAve you been watching Tripping the Rift? ;) (probably 3 people on here know what the hell I'm talking about...)
Sign in to comment in this discussion.