The "whatever's on your mind" thread

Comments

• edited June 2010
    "Come on Fhqwghads"!
  • edited June 2010
    Why did I discover there's a reedition of Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck? First I have to get the Muppet's collection! Somehow!
  • edited June 2010
    This is definitely on my mind. I only found this out just then.

Guess who's a fan of Cultural Zest on Facebook?

attachment.php?attachmentid=1578&stc=1&d=1275985089
  • edited June 2010
    This is definitely on my mind. I only found this out just then.

Guess who's a fan of Cultural Zest on Facebook?

attachment.php?attachmentid=1578&stc=1&d=1275985089

I don't get it
  • edited June 2010
    Bottom left in the picture.
    Creator of Sam and Max.

Holy. Awesome.
  • edited June 2010
    Remolay wrote: »
    Bottom left in the picture.
    Creator of Sam and Max.

Holy. Awesome.

Yes, I feel it deserves a Holy Awesome. But a period in between!???! You must be mad! I was proud when I saw that.
  • edited June 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4D1HSL7P98

One of the few songs I'll listen to ^
  • edited June 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4D1HSL7P98

One of the few songs I'll listen to ^

One of the many songs I won't listen to.
  • edited June 2010
    A friend mentioned the song Fireflies, Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band is now stuck in my head.

These two things are totally unrelated, this is just how my brain works
  • edited June 2010
    I was looking at the main "Games" section of Telltale's website, and noticed that the spaces in the O and E of Bone's title almost match up with Max's eyes.

51901360.png

58574377.png
  • edited June 2010
    Toxic mugs, whining people and my boss who didn't show up for work today so I could plan my holiday...
  • edited June 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »
    I was looking at the main "Games" section of Telltale's website, and noticed that the spaces in the O and E of Bone's title almost match up with Max's eyes.

Chyron, you are either very observant or have too much spare time on your hands, or both :D.
    Toxic mugs, whining people and my boss who didn't show up for work today so I could plan my holiday...

...and being a mere one post away from doubling your original goal.
  • edited June 2010
    why can't shoppers pick up their own crap?
  • edited June 2010
    What's on my mind is how huge the Living Rulebook is for Warhammers Bloodbowl. My memory's not so hot as the last time I played was about (at a guess) 8 years ago. So now I've got 63 pages of rules to get through... Still, it'll result in a good game!

Okay. It's apparent it'll take forever to print. I don't want to leave it because my computer tends to go wrong when unattended. At the same time I feel bordem approach... what to do...
  • edited June 2010
    Does everything in this particular thread count as spam?
  • edited June 2010
    www.drhorrible.com
    It's on my mind most of the time and when it's not it's cracked.com or tvtropes
  • edited June 2010
    I now have this unfathomable urge to go and watch Dr. Horrible. Again.
  • edited June 2010
    www.drhorrible.com
    It's on my mind most of the time and when it's not it's cracked.com or tvtropes

And yet Cracked, TV Tropes, and the Nostalgia Critic come up in conversation so much more often than Dr. Horrible. In fact, I don't think I've heard you talk about Dr. Horrible in months, except for when I told you about Rock of the Dead.

Or maybe I just didn't recognize it when it came up, since I haven't seen it.
  • edited June 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    Does everything in this particular thread count as spam?

I think so.

In other news, I think next week I'll going to be cranking Sam and Max Fan Art.

Or maybe not.
  • edited June 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    ...and being a mere one post away from doubling your original goal.

And now I have exactly that, all with the little help from this thread. :D

(200 posts, yay me). :p
  • edited June 2010
    I'm currently playing MGS3: Snake Eater, and got to the boss battle with "The End" (the boss' name, not the end of the game.)

He's a sniper, and as I wander around searching for his location, in my directional mic I hear him breathing and then say "This is the end." and EVERY TIME he says it I hear Dominic Armato say in my head "This is the END for you, you gutter-crawling cur!"

How odd it sounds that a tactical shooter would give me Monkey Island flashbacks.
  • edited June 2010
    When you like Monkey Island enough, anything can remind you of it. Anything :).
  • edited June 2010
    Why did I never give Dream Theater a chance before this week? This band is brilliant. I swear I'll go out and buy a couple of their CD's within the month.
  • edited June 2010
    That is the feeling I had with Sonata Arctica and Epica.
    So hard to find bands you really like, and even all the songs on their CD's. :D
  • edited June 2010
    Tornados in the South of Chile. Freaking tornados.

Stop already nature! please...
  • edited June 2010
    I want more limericks!
    The one in 302 just made me long for more.
  • edited June 2010
    Spiders! Huge giant EVIL spiders all over my bedroom floor!
    I was just cleaning out a little under the bed and suddenly there are SWARMS of the things everywhere?!?!
  • edited June 2010
    Here's what's been on my mind for the last week. Seems like I've hardly been doing anything else.
  • edited June 2010
    I have gotten this strange feeling that no one likes me...
    I sure hope it's just paranoia. :)
  • edited June 2010

Don't worry, the forums have been weird lately. I constantly feel like I should refrain from posting, or things like that, it's definitely not as friendly as it used to be, when you could post anything you wanted wherever you wanted.

But I think it's stress or something. I know I still like (almost) everyone (you're not excluded in that lol) and I'm sure lots of people like me. So don't fret :)
  • edited June 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    Don't worry, the forums have been weird lately. I constantly feel like I should refrain from posting, or things like that, it's definitely not as friendly as it used to be, when you could post anything you wanted wherever you wanted.

But I think it's stress or something. I know I still like (almost) everyone (you're not excluded in that lol) and I'm sure lots of people like me. So don't fret :)

I'm feeling the same way at times. Sometimes when I post something short, I feel that I'm not adding much to the overall discussion and I feel as though I'm spamming. And at other times, when I post something long, I begin to worry that I've made mistakes or gotten information wrong, and I start to worry that I might have made myself look like an idiot.

I'm not overly nervous or anything, but it's always there at the back of my mind.

Don't worry, it is paranoia, I'm glad your here.
  • edited June 2010
    Yeah, I've been getting this compulsion towards self-censorship as well. Just reading the beginning of the "I'm so tired" thread and seeing the way everyone was acting caused me to change my mind about bumping this thread for a couple hours. And it sucks. We're mostly all friends here, so why should we be afraid to talk? We shouldn't, and from here on out, I'm going to make an effort not to stop myself from posting things.
  • edited June 2010
    I think it's been more a case of people posting things completely off topic in what could be a more serious thread, posting to threads that were pretty pointless to begin with and posting what basically amounts to a private conversation. Having an occasional, silly thread is fine, I think anyway, but for some reason quite a few of them started popping up in the non-general forums.

That's my take on it, anyway. I don't think people should worry over every word they post, but at the same time it is good to remember this is a public "space". So let's not give up on being silly, but keep it to the proper time and place. What do you guys think? Have I over-thought this, or have people (including me :o) been overstepping the bounds a bit?
  • edited June 2010
    No, you're right. Thread derailment is one of the charms of this place, but only within reason. Too much and it stops being fun and starts getting annoying. I'm as guilty as anyone here, but I do see that a line needs to be drawn. So I guess we need to continue being silly but be more intelligent about it?

Also, no more appreciation threads unless you mean it, dammit!

Hey, maybe someone should start a "Teltale Forums Improvement Effort" thread.
  • edited June 2010
    I think we didn't use to need to censor ourselves, but now it's starting to feel like we do. I'm not sure what changed exactly. Before, I wasn't constantly having "private conversations" in threads, yet I wasn't stopping myself from saying what I wanted. Now I feel like if I say something that doesn't directly contribute or isn't completely on topic, all hell might break loose.
  • edited June 2010
    No, you're right. Thread derailment is one of the charms of this place, but only within reason. Too much and it stops being fun and starts getting annoying. I'm as guilty as anyone here, but I do see that a line needs to be drawn. So I guess we need to continue being silly but be more intelligent about it?

Also, no more appreciation threads unless you mean it, dammit!

Hey, maybe someone should start a "Teltale Forums Improvement Effort" thread.

I agree with everything in this post, particularly the part that I have placed in bold. The appreciation threads never used to annoy me, but there have been far too many of them popping up recently. Some of them are good for discussing a particular subject, but some are just downright pointless and stupid.
  • edited June 2010
    Honestly, I've never cared for the appreciation threads, but there's a lot of threads I don't care for, so you guys have your fun.

As for the private conversations, I don't know what went wrong. The DVD available for pre-order thread ended in a discussion about doughnuts, and mostly everyone was happy about it. The Monkey Island fanart thread derailed into how to draw boobs and we got one of the most fun threads in general chat out of it. My best guess is that the derailments took a sharp turn from fun to either idiotic or angry. Either way, they're not much fun when they happen anymore.

So I guess the solution is to keep in mind when you're posting that we're all intelligent people here to have fun. I mean, if we're not having fun, what are we doing here?
  • edited June 2010
    By "private conversations" I meant "talking" with only one or two other forum members in a way that precludes others from joining in. And Avistew, you and Tom did that in the plushie thread, I'm guessing, but you were also sensible enough to then delete that "conversation" so as to leave the thread open to others.

I think that's the main problem is that some people started to think derailment was fun for derailments sake. After all, we're getting new members in all the time, it makes sense that some of them don't quite "get" what is or isn't acceptable, and then you have trolls joining in and then it's easy just to say, "Hell, I've got a good pun, too!" That being said I think that now we're aware of it it'll be easier to watch ourselves. I'd hate for us to get too serious :(
  • edited June 2010
    Lena_P wrote: »
    By "private conversations" I meant "talking" with only one or two other forum members in a way that precludes others from joining in. And Avistew, you and Tom did that in the plushie thread, I'm guessing, but you were also sensible enough to then delete that "conversation" so as to leave the thread open to others.

Yeah, I sort of got that mixed around. Derailment and private conversations are two separate issues around here, even if one is a form of the other.

Also, I'd like to point out that this thread is still on topic. Imagine that.
    Lena_P wrote: »
    I think that's the main problem is that some people started to think derailment was fun for derailments sake. After all, we're getting new members in all the time, it makes sense that some of them don't quite "get" what is or isn't acceptable, and then you have trolls joining in and then it's easy just to say, "Hell, I've got a good pun, too!" That being said I think that now we're aware of it it'll be easier to watch ourselves. I'd hate for us to get too serious :(

You're right. Something changed the dynamic. It's too bad we can't just roll everyone's mindset back a few months, but we do know somewhat what the problem is and to watch for it now.
  • edited June 2010
    Honestly, I've never cared for the appreciation threads, but there's a lot of threads I don't care for, so you guys have your fun.

I think spontaneous... memes, I guess? were fun when it was about putting an eye as your avatar, but when it's starting thread after thread without actually saying anything in them... It's annoying. I'm fine with thread that are actually meant for something, even if it's something I'm not interested in. But the sole purpose of these threads seems to be that they were created, and then who cares if someone posts in it?
    And that's not really how forums work, I find.

And I agree, we used to have awesome thread derailing. Now it's often not that awesome, and as a result I feel less likely to drift from the main topic, because I'm scared it will be a "bad" derailing, but at the same time that means missing some of the best conversations ever on these forums. Because really, who's going to start a thread about some of the things we end up discussing, like air humidity or something?
This discussion has been closed.