The "whatever's on your mind" thread

Comments

• edited May 2010
    I woke up approximately 18 hours ago. I won't be going to bed for approximately another 19.

27 hours down, 10 to go.
  • edited May 2010
    puzzlebox wrote: »
    I'd usually rather throw myself into something and fail miserably than be too fearful to try and regret it later on. Whatever decision you make, there's nothing that says you HAVE to stick with it for the rest of your life (although obviously practical/monetary considerations come into play).

You've certainly got a good long time to think about it anyway, and who knows - your life circumstances could be totally different in 1-2 years time. :)

I agree. It's too easy to just box myself up here in PA for the rest of my life, and that would be the worst thing I could do. There's a reason the band Live wrote a song about this area and called it "Shit Towne". (leave it to me to take everything to an extreme and move to the other side of the friggin' planet instead of another state :p)

The idea of starting absolutely everything from scratch scares the hell out of me, but I haven't exactly built an empire here, either. Maybe I'll be considered cute and marketable in OZ, and I can start a didgeridoo band and say goodbye to all of my financial woes. :D

(Apologies for the slight rambly nature of the above: I'm more typing to myself than anything)
    At the moment my plan is to move to the US eventually, probably within the year. Either that or back to Oz... a couple of very close friends have moved from here to Sydney, and I'm somewhat tempted to follow them, but I'm just not quite ready to go back yet.

Ever been to the US before?
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    ShaggE wrote: »
    The idea of starting absolutely everything from scratch scares the hell out of me

You'll probably realise that you're a lot tougher than you think (or else overcoming challenges will MAKE you tough). Or you could, y'know, give up like a massive crybaby and go home. :p

Honestly, once you've done something like abandon everything that's safe and familiar and move to another country, the world becomes a much smaller and less scary place. The knowledge that you can start from scratch and have things turn out ok is quite empowering. It also makes you better appreciate what you left behind.
    Maybe I'll be considered cute and marketable in OZ

Americans are actually quite rare in Australia, at least I don't think I met one before I was twenty.
    Ever been to the US before?

I spent a long weekend in NY last year, hardly enough to make an informed decision... I'd try to work in the city for a couple of weeks before committing to a more permanent move.
  • edited May 2010
    Americans are actually quite rare in Australia, at least I don't think I met one before I was twenty.

On the other hand I think the Irish are overrunning the place from the amount of people who seem to travel out there, taking your jobs, sleeping with your women etc etc
  • edited May 2010
    You'll probably realise that you're a lot tougher than you think (or else overcoming challenges will MAKE you tough). Or you could, y'know, give up like a massive crybaby and go home. :p

Honestly, once you've done something like abandon everything that's safe and familiar and move to another country, the world becomes a much smaller and less scary place. The knowledge that you can start from scratch and have things turn out ok is quite empowering. It also makes you better appreciate what you left behind.

You make a great point. I mean, I've been through plenty of terrible situations, so I know I can survive if things go sour. Getting out and about might even help my depression and spark the creativity I so desperately need.

I spent a long weekend in NY last year, hardly enough to make an informed decision... I'd try to work in the city for a couple of weeks before committing to a more permanent move.

As I told my friend (the original plan was for him to move here), us Americans love an Aussie accent, so you'll have it made here. :p
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited May 2010
    JedExodus wrote: »
    On the other hand I think the Irish are overrunning the place from the amount of people who seem to travel out there, taking your jobs, sleeping with your women etc etc

This is true... but since the Irish are some of the best people around, I wouldn't have it any other way. :D
  • edited May 2010
    My dad today installed Skype all alone (He tries to not install stuff unless is just necessary. Or tell me to do it, because it's my job according to him) because he misses my mom too much (She's in a trip in Europe =P). Isn't that cute?
  • edited May 2010
    Just completed Red Dead Redemption. Brilliant story with a great ending.

Just thought I'd share that.
  • edited May 2010
    I could never move to Australia. It's just that I'm a biologist so I know all of the different most deadly things in the world that live there and I just don't think its worth it. Especially since where I live now, the most deadly thing is either a black widow spider or a rattlesnake.:D

I think no matter where you are, the most deadly thing is always humans.
    GinnyN wrote: »
    My dad today installed Skype all alone (He tries to not install stuff unless is just necessary. Or tell me to do it, because it's my job according to him) because he misses my mom too much (She's in a trip in Europe =P). Isn't that cute?

Aww, that's cute.
  • edited May 2010
    Avistew wrote: »
    I think no matter where you are, the most deadly thing is always humans.

Humans aren't invisible. Box jellies are. Well, nearly.
  • edited May 2010
    Humans aren't invisible.

What? There are some invisible humans. Like this guy sitting on the bench...

Hyde%20Park.JPG

His dog is sitting by that small tree.
  • edited May 2010
    Whenever someone does something so incredibly stupid and violent that I start to lose faith in humanity, there is always someone performing random acts of kindness or just anything nice to restore it.
  • edited May 2010
    Today, I was listening to the radio, and some song that I didn't recognize started playing with an overt dance beat. Odd that one of the first things that came to my mind was of Sam & Max playing Hit the Road's "Wak-a-Rat" game to the beat of this song.
  • edited June 2010
    Well maybe there's still hope for some of us...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP1ACIUHhp4&feature=related
  • edited June 2010
    I wonder if this thread will ever die...
  • edited June 2010
    doodo! wrote: »
    Well maybe there's still hope for some of us...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP1ACIUHhp4&feature=related

That video (as well as the 8 others following it) was really interesting. Thanks for linking to it!
  • edited June 2010
    Hayden wrote: »
    I wonder if this thread will ever die...

Nope. Like I said, this thread is the embodiment of these forums: derailing constantly and going off in fifty different directions. Except it can't derail because even when it does it's still on the original topic. Mwahahahaha!

Anyway, By the time I finally got to sleep six hours ago, I'd been up for a good 43 hours.

Oh, and yesterday I finally got those nachos I mentioned in the OP.
  • edited June 2010
    Just picked up Brutal Legend today... best thirteen bucks (yes, thirteen bucks :D) I ever spent on a game.
  • edited June 2010
    I've had to sign up to Jobseeker's Allowance (the UK's unemployment benefit, for those that don't know) today just so I can support myself now that my university course has finished while I look for a job for until at least I get my results. If I graduate then I can at least start really looking for a games programming job. If not, then it's hoping I can afford to redo the last year.
  • edited June 2010
    What? There are some invisible humans. Like this guy sitting on the bench...

Hyde%20Park.JPG

His dog is sitting by that small tree.

What d'ya know? You learn something new every day.:D
  • edited June 2010
    I've a new found crush on Laila Ali.
  • edited June 2010
    The Big Bang was caused by an atom and a sombrero!
  • edited June 2010
    Was the atom anti-matter or the sombrero?
  • edited June 2010
    the sombrero
  • edited June 2010
    Ah! Good choice.

I sorta want an anti-matter sombrero now.
  • edited June 2010
    i just ate an antimatter bag of chips
  • edited June 2010
    I bought a tiny, single shot, pump-action Nerf gun, and I'm disappointed that I can't modify it. Clearly there is something wrong with me.
  • edited June 2010
    Played a 2 hour demo of a game called Torchlight last night, really cool game.

*Edit* Made it shorter since The Highway thought it was fun to copy me to a T. Because I guess there was too much commercial which was not intended.
  • edited June 2010
    Played a very cool game called Tomb of Sammun-Mak last night, and I had loads of fun. Not very similar to the Penal Zone, but that is not a surprise as it's made by Telltale employees.

Possible to buy it digitally on both their webpage and steam, but I bought the digital copy from their webpage, so I can have it and call it my own.
    And I can't wait for the next one to arrive so I can play it, again and again, a very nice way to make the wait time for episode 4 pass easier. :)

Here is a link if you want to check it out: Tomb of Sammun-Mak
  • edited June 2010
    Red Rock Deli's Sea Salt & Balsamic Vinegar Chips are the greatest chips in the world, hands down, no debate.
  • edited June 2010
    Uhh yes, Vinegar is so sour and sea salt is really good. I also like chicken, plain salted and barbecue. :)

Red Rock Deli's and Balsamic is that the brand of them, or just the type of sea salt and Vinegar?
  • edited June 2010
    No, Red Rock Deli is the brand of the chips... or crisps, as some might call them. Anyway, I'm not sure if they're only available in Australia, but if the are then the rest of the world is missing out.
  • edited June 2010
    "Red Rock Deli" is the brand, "Sea" is the type of salt, "Balsamic" is the type of vinegar. And the whole thing is the type of chips/crisps.
  • edited June 2010
    Yes, Avistew's got it.

Sorry, ' Red Rock Deli's Sea Salt & Balsamic Vinegar Chips' is a bit of a mouthful.
  • edited June 2010
    That cleared that up quite well, and then yes we are missing out. :(

Our brands are the famous ones like Estrella and Princkles.

And then their is KIM's not sure how famous that one is, but well known here in Denmark.
  • edited June 2010
    Ugh. I can't stand salt and vinegar chips. Of course, that may not mean much, seeing as I don't eat chips that often, but when I do, I prefer not to eat salt and vinegar chips.

Wait, does that make me the least interesting man in the world?

I swear, that wasn't intentional until I was nearly finished typing it...
  • edited June 2010
    Not at all each to their own taste. :)
  • edited June 2010
    Played a 2 hour demo of a game called Torchlight last night, really cool game.

Yeah, I really enjoyed 'Torchlight'. Incredible scenery and locations. I think I actually preferred it to 'Diablo'. I've never played an MMO because they're pretty life-wasting, but I'm tempted to play the 'Torchlight' MMO when it's released.
  • edited June 2010
    Red Rock Deli's Sea Salt & Balsamic Vinegar Chips are the greatest chips in the world, hands down, no debate.

WRONG! On so many levels! Honey Soy Chicken! Sea Salt & Balsamic tasted way too bitter to me, too dense, way too... balsamic-y. Regular white vinegar is the way for chips.

My favourite Red Rock chips, in order from worst to best:

Sea Salt & Balsamic>>>>>Lime & Black Pepper>>>>>Moroccan Chicken>>>>>Honey & Mustard>>>>>Red Onion & Vintage Cheddar>>>>>Swwet Chilli & Sour Cream>>>>>HONEY SOY CHICKEN FTW
  • edited June 2010
    WRONG! On so many levels! Honey Soy Chicken! Sea Salt & Balsamic tasted way too bitter to me, too dense, way too... balsamic-y. Regular white vinegar is the way for chips.

Didn't you read my signature along with that post.

No, I actually really like the Honey Soy Chicken as well. Second best flavour.
    My favourite Red Rock chips, in order from worst to best:

Sea Salt & Balsamic>>>>>Lime & Black Pepper>>>>>Moroccan Chicken>>>>>Honey & Mustard>>>>>Red Onion & Vintage Cheddar>>>>>Swwet Chilli & Sour Cream>>>>>HONEY SOY CHICKEN FTW

That's pretty funny. If you exclude the line "My favourite Red Rock chips, in order from worst to best", then you're actually saying that the Sea Salt & Balsamic Vinegar are the best while the Honey Soy Chicken are the worst :D.
This discussion has been closed.