The "whatever's on your mind" thread

Comments

• edited January 2012
    Lucky that I have only found good fanfic's of Megamind so far, just strangely that most of the ones I have read so far are all seen from Roxanne's point of view.
    And yeah like any fanfic's it's is a little more "adult".

That's only one side of the fanfiction realm. The other side is a bunch of girls in their younger teens inserting themselves into the story and shipping themselves with the characters.
  • edited January 2012
    This thread refuses to die. It's like some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
  • edited January 2012
    Why should it die? It serves a purpose.
  • edited January 2012
    Tim Schafer's narration can make mediocre control schemes passable. (Haunt, Xbox 360)
  • edited January 2012
    Listening to Russian rock music whilst eating bacon and drinking Dr Pepper makes the Reddit blackout passable.

4137_gta4_music_Vladivostok.jpg
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Reddit, reddit... oh, now I remember! That was the angry perverted internet mob which, back in November...

...ah, forget it. Can't they just STAY DOWN?
  • edited January 2012
    Reddit, reddit... oh, now I remember! That was the angry perverted internet mob which, back in November...

...ah, forget it. Can't they just STAY DOWN?

75.jpg

Best be trollan
    edited January 2012
    All right, you lost me.

I request a complete explanation of this last post of yours "for dummies".

But not the picture. I know where the PICTURE came from.
  • edited January 2012
    Oh my god, I have gone in total "Megamind" mode. I have seen the movie about 3 times, changed my desktop at home, changed my avatar and my quote, I listen to the soundtrack over and over, read fanfic's.

I love it, it makes a normal boring day more interesting when you have something to occupy your mind with that you really just love. My only regret is that I didn't go the the cinema to see this in 2010 when it came out, it could have been absolutely awesome to see it on the big screen. :( But done is done, I now own the DVD and I am hooked.
    But sometimes I can get annoyed that I get this much excited about things, it makes me seem weird to most people.
    But it's who I am and I guess I just have to live with it.

So in my mind at the moment.

Megamind is awesome!

You know I watched Megamind at the cinema, and I thought it was a good film as well.

Great premise, and a solid execution.

Shame it doesn't make for good sequel material though.
    (Which probably does it favours to be honest)

ALSO Where is The Incredibles 2!?

There is so much that can be done with that series.

But at least Monsters Inc. is getting a sequel! :D
    edited January 2012

You are probably very right with the favors part. I want far more movies with absolutely zero sequel potential. Those that tell stories from beginning to end, finalizing their character arcs and arriving at a state where you'd want to give the people on the screen some privacy now. The industry's obsession with reproducing the same franchises over and over has led to horrible, horrible storytelling.
  • edited January 2012
    I'm thinking it's another pizza and wing day.
  • edited January 2012
    Just going to put in my oar and say that Megamind is one of the best things to come out of Dreamworks lately, perhaps tied with How to Train Your Dragon, though I tend to put Megamind a little bit ahead. I just loved it because it had such a tightly knit plotline, with everything brought up in the beginning of the movie having a real purpose by the end. Even the "throwaway" gags.

I wish more movies would follow in that example.
    edited January 2012
    Hear, hear. :D

Now I have to go see Megamind.
  • edited January 2012
    It's on my list
  • edited January 2012
    I just watched The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya on Netflix.

I actually really liked it.

Even though it was based on a series I never even heard of, it was great!

An awesome stand-alone piece, with a brilliant premise.
    Great protagonist, good pacing (doesn't rush the story, and really allows all the themes to be explored to a satisfying degree), and unlike some anime, it really takes itself seriously.
    Which is suprising since the series appears to be incredibly silly.
    (But I like silly, so I may just have to pick this series up at some point!)

Still not as good as Summer Wars though, that movie was a real masterpiece.

Next on the Netflix list is: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, which from what I hear is a real classic.

But thats for tomorrow, I think today I shall watch another episode or two of Spiderman! :D
  • edited January 2012
    This...
    I've probably said this before, but I'll say it again: INVADER ZIM FANFICTION IS THE WORST THING EVER. My Immortal, even taken completely seriously, is better than this crap I found.

is now this:
    Oh, and we're trying something where you can anonymously(or abbreviated, if you prefer), join the commenting on a really horrible Invader Zim fic. Just right-click on whatever you want to comment on.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FhNcvgpR7C9RppjN8wiJzf_Irfk5d3241Si4jlU17YY/edit?hl=en_US

(TT: me, AM: Alcoremortis, MP: MightypirateTM, SB: StrongBrush1)

(Well, it was being MSTd for a few days now, I'm just testing out this "public commenting" thing.)
  • edited January 2012
    The original? Favourite moment of that one was in the first few episodes when he's chasing someone(first Lizard episode...dont remember if it was him though) "I think he went this way" ...first, there's no one with him so he's talking to himself...which was normal for the show...and second... THERE WAS A SIGN RIGHT BEHIND HIM!
  • edited January 2012
    That's only one side of the fanfiction realm. The other side is a bunch of girls in their younger teens inserting themselves into the story and shipping themselves with the characters.

Actually, there's also the casual observers who sit back and watch the chaos unfold. Marshmallows, anyone?
  • edited January 2012
    Aaah...

The Alien Costume trilogy is probably one of the best 90's Spiderman episodes barring the finale.

Its just so well executed.

Unlike the 3rd movie, which makes Peter Parker go all emo, we get a Peter Parker slowly being consumed by his rage and fear.
    Not only that, but the WAY he talks and his body language change completely, so much so that everyone around him comments on how he has changed.

Then we get an already established Eddie Brock. A douchebag that is way over his head, and quick to blame those around him for his problems.
    He is a lonely soul, obsessed with his work. Reporting is everything to him. Money and fame are everything important to him. He'll sell anyone down the river to get a quick buck and some recognition.

But with the symbiote suit he becomes a monster! Obsessed with making Peter's life hell.
    He knows everything about Peter. His life, his history, his family, his thoughts.
    He even comes up with some quips like Peter does when they fight.
    He's stronger, faster, and doesn't set of Peter's spider sense.
    If he was smarter, he'd be unstoppable.

And thats the flaw, he's not that smart.
    All that power, all that infinite knowledge, but thats useless if can't make any use of it.

His pursuit of Peter was limited to just stalking him and his family, and despite his ability to be absolutely anyone, he chose to be himself each time. His lack of imagination, and his massive ego, were essentially his undoing.

Hey! Here's a good what if?

What if Doctor Octopus got the alien costume?

(I know in the PS1 game, he got the carnage costume, but thats different. Carnage is a spirit of Chaos, which conflicts and overrides his mind, (which was already taken over by the tentacles might I add. So despite his intelligence, Doc Oc has a weak will), but the venom costume is different. It doesn't take over, its smarter than that. It uses the aspects of its host to influence their actions to its gain, though its easier for it to control aggressively minded people))

I guess the closest to an answer we'll ever get is Spider-Carnage.
    (Though that only exists due to freak circumstances in that Peter's life. Peter Parker has a very strong will, and he's already defeated one symbiote before)
    And he almost destroyed EVERYTHING! XD
  • edited January 2012
    I didn't really care for the 90's series. Don't get me wrong, I actually really enjoyed it in it's initial run(first few seasons anyway). Rewatching them as an adult, they were pretty meh. The symbiote story is still good(mostly because it was done soooo much better than the other incarnations), but none of the characters really stuck with me. Even Peter was pretty bland. These types of comics are always heavy on tragedy...which I felt the series severely lacked(even uncle Ben), with the exception of Morbius, which you somewhat felt some sympathy for(but even then, all the tragedies of the series did something to "ask-for-it"). Overall, I feel the series just doesn't hold up to the adult audience's expectations of character development and emotion. Great for kids, not adults.
  • edited January 2012
    Is it worth Re buying Tales of Monkey Island on ps store to play it on my new 42 inch HD Tv or since its cartoony pysics will it not matter much.
  • edited January 2012
    Johro wrote: »
    I didn't really care for the 90's series. Don't get me wrong, I actually really enjoyed it in it's initial run(first few seasons anyway). Rewatching them as an adult, they were pretty meh. The symbiote story is still good(mostly because it was done soooo much better than the other incarnations), but none of the characters really stuck with me. Even Peter was pretty bland. These types of comics are always heavy on tragedy...which I felt the series severely lacked(even uncle Ben), with the exception of Morbius, which you somewhat felt some sympathy for(but even then, all the tragedies of the series did something to "ask-for-it"). Overall, I feel the series just doesn't hold up to the adult audience's expectations of character development and emotion. Great for kids, not adults.

I guess I must be a big kid at heart!
  • edited January 2012
    Madam Web is the best character in the show.
  • edited January 2012
    I guess I must be a big kid at heart!

Must be. :P

Like I said, I really did love it when I was younger. It was like #3 for me behind Batman and X-men(#2 once X-men hit season 4....let's never bring that up again).

coolsome wrote: »
    Stan Lee is the best character in the show.
    fixed.
  • edited January 2012
    Madam Web is the best character in the show.

Its funny how a good guy can be such a troll.
  • edited January 2012
    Stan Lee is the best character ever.

fixed.

Further fixed.
  • edited January 2012
    Another criticism about Spider-man is that during the secret wars, he was allowed to pick 7 heroes.

WHY ON EARTH WOULD HE WASTE 4 ON THE FANTASTIC 4!!!

Seriously, he's only need 2 of them at the most. Johnny Storm and Susan Richards are basically useless even in their own damn cartoon!

At least Storm can change the weather for practical strategy, and The Thing has power similar to The Hulk, but with none of the rage problems.
    Richards is just damn handy, not for the powers so much, but his intelligence.
    Likewise for Iron Man.
    If anything my extra 2 would have been Doctor Strange, and Thor.
    Thor can do most of what Susan can, and Doctor Strange can do what Johnny can, but better, AND they can do MORE on top.

EDIT: Actually could replace Thor with someone else, or switch out Storm.
    (Though arguable Storm can manipulate other weather beside thunder...)

Hmmm.. I think this extra slot may take some thought...

EDIT 2: Maybe Silver Surfer...
  • edited January 2012
    Honestly? Probably because the FF show was just cancelled(or being cancelled) at the time and it was either a bookend to the characters or a last ditch effort to save that show.
  • edited January 2012
    You know I watched Megamind at the cinema, and I thought it was a good film as well.

Great premise, and a solid execution.

ALSO Where is The Incredibles 2!?

There is so much that can be done with that series.

But at least Monsters Inc. is getting a sequel! :D

Yeah it really saddens me, I would love if there came a sequel. But as you said chances are vary bleak.
  • edited January 2012
    Honestly? Probably because the FF show was just cancelled(or being cancelled) at the time and it was either a bookend to the characters or a last ditch effort to save that show.

You're probably right there.

But from a logic point its still pretty stupid.

(Especially considering that of the other non-fantastic 4 heroes chosen, 2 were Avengers (at that time at least))

EDIT: I guess it also makes sense since, Spider-man has also interacted with them several times in the past, and in one continuity he was in the fantastic four!

Actually come to think about it, Spider-man has interacted with almost everybody at some point.

The Avengers, The X-men, Hulk, Ghost Rider, Punisher.

No wonder he had a hard time choosing! XD

EDIT: Here's my Team:

- Captain America
    - Iron Man
    - Hawkeye
    - Thor
    - Doctor Strange
    - Silver Surfer/Squirrel Girl (depending on whether I'm fighting Dr. Doom or not! XD)
    - Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards)
    - Spider-man

Easy win, hands down.

EDIT 2: Johnny Storm really was a rubbish hero. Wasn't he?
  • edited January 2012
    Well, my phone is pretty much fucked right now. If left alone, it crashes and resets itself every ten minutes or so, with about one minute to recover. If I use it, it crashes almost immediately and takes significantly longer to recover, if it does at all without me pulling the battery.
  • edited January 2012
    My phone did that and it needed an Update. I would take it back and demand they fix it.
  • edited January 2012
    Icedhope wrote: »
    My phone did that and it needed an Update. I would take it back and demand they fix it.

...again
  • edited January 2012
    Hey, I'm looking for some advice. So, my band's music was stolen and is now being sold on some russain site. Is there somethiing I can do, or should I just wait for Sopa to pass and get the government to yell at them for me.
  • edited January 2012
    ted12 wrote: »
    Hey, I'm looking for some advice. So, my band's music was stolen and is now being sold on some russain site. Is there somethiing I can do, or should I just wait for Sopa to pass and get the government to yell at them for me.

Harvey Birdman could take your case.
  • edited January 2012
    ted12 wrote: »

Russia is tricky this way. Unless things have changed, as of 2004-2005, Russia and the USA do not respect each other's copyrights. Both stealing from each other. All you can really do is tell the site about it. Legally, there's nothing you or the USA can do....unless you actually go to Russia and take them to court there proving your case.
  • edited January 2012
    You're probably right there.

But from a logic point its still pretty stupid.

(Especially considering that of the other non-fantastic 4 heroes chosen, 2 were Avengers (at that time at least))

EDIT: I guess it also makes sense since, Spider-man has also interacted with them several times in the past, and in one continuity he was in the fantastic four!

Actually come to think about it, Spider-man has interacted with almost everybody at some point.

The Avengers, The X-men, Hulk, Ghost Rider, Punisher.

No wonder he had a hard time choosing! XD

EDIT: Here's my Team:

- Captain America
    - Iron Man
    - Hawkeye
    - Thor
    - Doctor Strange
    - Silver Surfer/Squirrel Girl (depending on whether I'm fighting Dr. Doom or not! XD)
    - Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards)
    - Spider-man

Easy win, hands down.

EDIT 2: Johnny Storm really was a rubbish hero. Wasn't he?

I don't know my team would consist of these following guys.

Wolverine
    Doctor Strange.
    The Thing.
    The Vision
    Hawkeye
    Iron Man
    Captain America.
  • puzzleboxpuzzlebox Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2012
    [...]
    Hawkeye

Hawkeye_AlanAlda.jpg

Interesting choice.
  • edited January 2012

Wolverine
    Doctor Strange.
    The Thing.
    The Vision
    Hawkeye
    Iron Man
    Captain America.

As much as I love Wolverine, he is kind of outclassed by other heroes/villains sometimes.
    (Well he's gotten a lot of silly buffs over the years, depending on who's writing him, but at that time, he wasn't particularily brilliant vs other supers)

Plus in your team, he probably wouldn't be able to do much more than be an overglorified tin-opener! XD

The Thing has the brawn covered.

The Vision would be a decent choice, but his track record isn't very good either.

Exiles version of Morph would be a good choice as well for me personally, since he's a shape-shifter but with no real negatives that others have had.
    (However he can't really be in a team, since he doesn't exist in the main marvel universe, or exist at that time.)
  • edited January 2012
    But sometimes I can get annoyed that I get this much excited about things, it makes me seem weird to most people

Fortunately, it seems you've come to the right place.
This discussion has been closed.