The City that Dares not Sleep Speculation Thread

Comments

• edited August 2010
    StrongBlushes list is totally incorrect. Like, 80% of these guys could be the villain.

I doubt Superball is the enemy. He probably works for the enemy though.

1. I didn't mention everyone. I just crossed off the characters that were highly unlikely. Besides, the main villain HAS to be fought at the end of the season. IT'S A GOD DAMN TRADITION! Nobody who dies before a battle can be fought!

2.You mean like in:
    • Abe Lincoln Must Die?
    • Bright Side of the Moon?
    • Night of the Raving Dead?
    Yeah. THAT'S a stretch.
  • edited August 2010
    Anyways, in the trailer we see a fight with Skunkape's men, so I guess that means he's alive. Now lets hope Sal survived last episode too :(
  • edited August 2010
    Well, I got my wish times 10.

I was hoping for some Maimtron love, and the trailer just showed a whole army of them! Oh, sure, I won't get my Kaiju battle, but maybe I'll get a Voltron joke in the process.:D
  • edited August 2010
    Maimtron army, Skun-ka'pe army returns, evil floating psychic Max heads... This episode is like my secret dreams made visible.
  • edited August 2010
    *Post filled with Giberish*
    Sorry, but, what? :confused:

Also, like I said 80% of your list could appear and be the villain. Being in hell is no excuse, nor not being seen the whole season (like Bosco). Pulling the strings it's called I believe. Like a ventriliquist dummy...
  • edited August 2010
    SunnyGuy wrote: »
    Anyways, in the trailer we see a fight with Skunkape's men, so I guess that means he's alive. Now lets hope Sal survived last episode too :(

Sal is in the trailer too. Look in the background after Sam says "This is the type of thing Max would want to watch" he is there.
  • edited August 2010
    Sal is in the trailer too. Look in the background after Sam says "This is the type of thing Max would want to watch" he is there.

*Goes to check this out* WOOHOOO!!!:D
  • edited August 2010
    Sal is dead and he'll never return. What you saw was merely a...flashback from an earlier episode. A remnant of the glory that was once Sal.
  • edited August 2010

Well, I saw what you're saying too, it's just that I wasn't sure if it was really Sal or just something on the background that reminded me of Sal...
  • edited August 2010
    Well, I saw what you're saying too, it's just that I wasn't sure if it was really Sal or just something on the background that reminded me of Sal...

I downloaded the HD version, it IS Sal.

sal.png
  • VainamoinenVainamoinen Moderator
    edited August 2010
    I downloaded the HD version, it IS Sal.

His dead, lifeless and smelly carcass is sitting upright and undignified in a dark alley. :D
  • edited August 2010
    Huzzah! Sal is alive, as far as we know so far!

I always, always suspected Superball.

What the hell's the deal with those spore guys...? Well, at least Sam can get a pseudo-partner out of them.
  • edited August 2010
    I always suspected his superious, but now suspect him as he says "he is now president" and I'm assuming now wants to kill max, as sam is trying to convince him otherwise, I'm going to keep my eye on him
  • edited August 2010
    It looks like we are going inside Max. At 2:03 you can see what looks like a brain, then at 2:09 you can see what may be an elevator with a symbol that looks like Max's legs.
  • edited August 2010
    I was thinking of who the bad guy could be, and that got me thinking about Superballs other 'superiors'. Now I'm wondering what ever happened to Chuckles? Last I can remember he was riding on the shoulder of Abe when we sent a missile in their direction. We then saw him in a pile of rubble. Is it possible he survived and he's Superball's superior?
  • edited August 2010
    Whoever the mastermind is, if existent, done a well job planning out the events, even to the point of making
    Max accidentally swallow a bit of Junior

Well the truth is this kind of a setup doesn't necessarily need a main villain, and actually it's pretty hard to include a main villain. In the end there might be no villain at all and the most malicious mastermind behind the whole thing can just be
    Charlie Ho-Tep
  • edited August 2010
    jeeno0142 wrote: »
    I was thinking of who the bad guy could be, and that got me thinking about Superballs other 'superiors'. Now I'm wondering what ever happened to Chuckles? Last I can remember he was riding on the shoulder of Abe when we sent a missile in their direction. We then saw him in a pile of rubble. Is it possible he survived and he's Superball's superior?

Nope. He's in Hell in 205 and it's extremely unlikely that he'll come back.
  • edited August 2010
    Nope. He's in Hell in 205 and it's extremely unlikely that he'll come back.

Is he? I honestly don't remember seeing him there. Still, that rules him out then.
  • edited August 2010
    Well someone wants Max dead. Whoever that is also probably put the future vision in the ally (thus causing all this to happen)
    That person is probably Superball's superior.
  • edited August 2010
    Bosco.
    Head of the Illuminate...

Being paranoid was just a play, since he knew it all to be true. :p
    Spending most of season 1 getting funds for the Illuminate, and in Season 2 fought their enemies, T.H.E.M.
    Now there is nothing in their path of using a Max to get worlddomination, as President of the U.S.
  • edited August 2010
    A: Skunkape was pulled through a barred window by a bunch of toy hungry Samulacra/ Doggelgangers. Generally, that means you're not gonna make it.
    B:There is no possible way that a man of any status could survive a 300 foot drop onto solid concrete. Let alone a frail 140-year-old magician in a steel cage.
    C: Norrington was attached to the Mortal Papierwaite at the time of the drop. In a shadow of his former glory no less. If a demon is in a physical form, then generally he is vulnerable.

CASE. CLOSED.

Skunkape had a toy thats why they grabbed him. when the you tricked the clones at the werehouse with the puppet making Sal say he had toys. They didnt kill Sal. they beat him up a bit tho. I dont see how you think norrington is dead. He wasnt shot with the blasto and didnt get sucked into the void. Dont say case closed when you have no idea whats going on lol.
  • edited August 2010
    Skunkape had a toy thats why they grabbed him. when the you tricked the clones at the werehouse with the puppet making Sal say he had toys. They didnt kill Sal. they beat him up a bit tho. I dont see how you think norrington is dead. He wasnt shot with the blasto and didnt get sucked into the void. Dont say case closed when you have no idea whats going on lol.

Actually he's correct.

1: Skun-ka'pe was violently grabbed by his current worse nightmare and then dragged outside where the Dogglegangers punched, scratched, and beat him looking for a toy. If he isn't dead then he's just extremely insane.

2: Norrington said that if he and Papierwaite were even shot (which they were) they'd be damaged, critically I might add. And because they both fell from a very very high location it stands to reason that neither of them would survive a fall like that.

3: Sal isn't dead, yes, but what does he have to do with this?

Case indeed, closed.
  • edited August 2010
    Sam needs to shoot his gun. He hasn't used it to solve a puzzle all season. Maybe 303 counts, but I don't think it does.
  • edited August 2010
    So you're forgetting the mug smashing at the platform in 304?

EDIT: Also, there's a future vision in 301
    in which sam is pointing his gun upwards and saying "I hate to do this Max, but it's the only way to save the city"

So there's some gun usage.

Also, in that same future vision,
    Max lets out a very Max-sounding growl

From that, I think it may be possible that Max partially transforms back into a larger version of his regular self, but then keeps rampaging because he's giant and he would've wanted to anyway
  • edited August 2010
    Actually I think that's just so that we're not spoiled of the real growl in the finale. That way we can't tell what is going to happen to Max.
  • edited August 2010
    Falanca wrote: »
    Whoever the mastermind is, if existent, done a well job planning out the events, even to the point of making
    Max accidentally swallow a bit of Junior

Well the truth is this kind of a setup doesn't necessarily need a main villain, and actually it's pretty hard to include a main villain. In the end there might be no villain at all and the most malicious mastermind behind the whole thing can just be
    Charlie Ho-Tep

I think it's the commisioner who will turns out to be the mysterious narrator:eek:
  • edited August 2010
    Player_2 wrote: »
    -Sam & Max somehow make contact with the Narrator. In 304, we saw the Narrator wake Max up when he was passed out; this could either just be a throwaway gag referencing Bela Lugosi, or it could be throwaway gag that paves the way to the Narrator actually taking part in the season by proving that he can communicate with them if necessary.

When was that? :confused:
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    No, no! Obviously it's... LECHUCK!!!

(Dramatic chord)
    Sammy wrote: »
    I think it's the commisioner who will turns out to be the mysterious narrator:eek:

This would be just AWESOOOOOOOOOME!

And by the way, I think Bluster Blaster could be a great main villain. I don't think that Slushie could make a great villain. I mean, why?... I'm glad
    Sybil
    will come back. I kinda hope the narrator is not the main villain now...
  • edited August 2010
    Fazz wrote: »
    When was that? :confused:

For those of you who haven't seen "Ed Wood" The Narrator's monologue before the final battle was a reference to that movie.

Here's the scene from Ed Wood.
    Here's the scene from the game. (Warning: Spoiler Alert)
  • edited August 2010
    Fazz wrote: »
    I'm glad
    Sybil
    will come back. I kinda hope the narrator is not the main villain now...

I've read the rating thing but I'm still not quite sure that's right... it just seems so odd that
    Sybil
    would return just for the season finale when
    she isn't a very popular character
    ... I would love to see
    her
    but I'll believe it when I see it in the game.
  • edited August 2010
    splash1 wrote: »
    If he isn't dead then he's just extremely insane.
    There are cast members in the Sam & Max games that aren't? Since when did "extremely insane" stop ANYONE?
  • edited August 2010
    For those of you who haven't seen "Ed Wood" The Narrator's monologue before the final battle was a reference to that movie.

Here's the scene from Ed Wood.
    Here's the scene from the game. (Warning: Spoiler Alert)

Thanks for the reference. :)
    Why do people believe that the narrator had woke up Max?

Edit :
    tabstis wrote: »
    I've read the rating thing but I'm still not quite sure that's right... it just seems so odd that
    Sybil
    would return just for the season finale when
    she isn't a very popular character
    ... I would love to see
    her
    but I'll believe it when I see it in the game.

I'd love to think
    her come back
    as a sign of
    her as the main villain.
    But this is just a dream. :D
  • edited August 2010
    I'm not marking any of the following with spoiler tags, because this is all total speculation that only refers to the 305 trailer; but if you haven't seen the trailer yet, then maybe don't read this.

I don't know if anyone else has posted about this (and if they have, sorry, but I can't be bothered to read all of the posts I've missed since yesterday) but I've only just noticed something about the trailer for 305.

If you pause at the right moment - specifically, when Sam's talking to the spore guys - you can see a door marked with a picture of Max's legs. The background (although this might be making a leap) kind of resembles a...brain?

So I think it's safe to assume that yes, we are going to be taking a literal plunge into the belly of the beast, and Sam probably is going to get eaten by Max at some point. If I'm right and Sam was actually in Max's brain, then I'm assuming that players are either going to go through a Psychonauts-esque level through Max's subconscious, or we're actually going to get to control Maxzilla at some point.
  • edited August 2010
    Player 2, I pointed that out. The going inside Max with the elevator and brain. No worries, even I couldn't bothered to read lots of posts sometimes. Even if it is to check if someone has said it already.
  • edited August 2010
    If we are indeed going into Max's stomach, then Telltale should consider renaming this episode into Lair of Leviat-(Someone punchs me).
  • edited August 2010
    Trenchfoot wrote: »
    (Someone punches me).

That would be me.
  • edited August 2010
    That would be me.

Thanks, I needed that.
  • edited August 2010
    Yeah, it's Lair of the Levia-*makes ooogh noise at getting punched in the stomach*
  • edited August 2010
    Player_2 wrote: »
    I'm not marking any of the following with spoiler tags, because this is all total speculation that only refers to the 305 trailer; but if you haven't seen the trailer yet, then maybe don't read this.

I don't know if anyone else has posted about this (and if they have, sorry, but I can't be bothered to read all of the posts I've missed since yesterday) but I've only just noticed something about the trailer for 305.

If you pause at the right moment - specifically, when Sam's talking to the spore guys - you can see a door marked with a picture of Max's legs. The background (although this might be making a leap) kind of resembles a...brain?

So I think it's safe to assume that yes, we are going to be taking a literal plunge into the belly of the beast, and Sam probably is going to get eaten by Max at some point. If I'm right and Sam was actually in Max's brain, then I'm assuming that players are either going to go through a Psychonauts-esque level through Max's subconscious, or we're actually going to get to control Maxzilla at some point.

Is it speculation when it's right there in the description for the episode? =P

I DEMAND MARKETING TEXT! SELL ME!
    Commence marketing: "An enormous, scaly, floppy-eared creature has put the city on high alert, and Sam assembles a crack team to stop him. To end the mayhem, they must venture … inside … the beast!

Featuring an all star cast of heroes and villains – you’ll be riveted to your seat with each thrilling twist, as you discover the crazed force that’s been orchestrating the madness. And you won’t want to miss the game’s truly shocking conclusion!"
  • edited August 2010
    Is it speculation when it's right there in the description for the episode? =P

Technically Player_2 is speculating because she is specifying where within the beast, namely digestive system. This is despite hints pointing toward the brain or the respiratory system.
  • edited August 2010
    Well, yeah, that part is. I'm guessing we'll have to go to the brain (after possibly getting out of the stomach), maybe then we'll find out an explanation for Max's as-of-yet-unexplained psychic powers or something.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.