The dark before the dawn. Interactive story

Comments

• My deepest condolences and best wishes to you and your family. Take all the time you need.

mr.quality posted: »

Just as a heads up, there will be no new part this Thursday and Friday. My step grandfather passed away last Friday and I'll be at his funeral. I hope you guys understand. Thank you.

• My condolences. No need to be sorry bro

Just as a heads up, there will be no new part this Thursday and Friday. My step grandfather passed away last Friday and I'll be at his funeral. I hope you guys understand. Thank you.

• I am deeply sorry for your loss and for yout family. I am not someone to tell you what to do , so you should do whatever you feel more like.

• Samu Kuusi

"Damnit, Lane." He thought as he kept the scope aligned with Vernov's skull. Lane knew from the beginning the risks and consequences of failure. As much as he didn't like it, he had his mission and he was sticking to it. Vernov was going to be killed by the Network. No questions asked. He took a breath and pulled the trigger. The infamous Victor Vernov's head exploded into a red pulp with a loud bang and a satisfying kick. He saw every last person in the courtyard turn and look at the watchtower, including Lane. Samu expected fear and confusion on her face, but instead she smiled in his direction. She knew it was him. Samu saw everyone start converging on the watchtower. They were going to be here soon. But Lane made a distraction. She rose form her knees and took off running, yelling at the top of her lungs. She moved very fast for someone that looked like they had just been beaten half to death. To Samu's relief the soldiers took the bait. Half of them turned and ran to get her. Samu took this to his advantage. He placed the Sniper rifle in the dead guards hands and began going down the ladder. As soon as he hit the ground he took off running as fast as his legs would carry him, soon he found himself on the rocky shoreline of Alcatraz. He spotted a small skiff that was on the beach, probably one of the ones the Network had used, but it was his now. He pushed the raft into the water and started the engine, taking off as fast as the boat would go. When he was a little ways out he looked back at the island one more time. He saw a small figure running ahead of a large group. Lane. She looked in Samu's direction. Then stopped dead in her tracks. She turned and faced the mob that was chasing after her. She stood tall and proud, like she wasn't afraid of them. Samu waited for the gunshots, but they never came. The Network weren't nice enough to just kill some one and leave it at that. One solider ran up, ahead of the group, and tackled her at full speed even though she was no longer trying to run. The solider pinned her to the ground and waited for the rest of the group to catch up. One of them, most likely Charlie, looked down at her and made a signal to his men and walked away. The group around Lane diminished to only three, as the rest of them followed Charlie off down the beach. Samu then adverted his eyes, he was familiar with what came next. He had infiltrated multiple Network camps and had become familiar with their techniques. They wouldn't kill her for awhile. For one, she was a good source of information, and information was what the Network wanted. And two: She was a woman. The Network didn't have many of those. The Network are a bunch of sick, twisted fucks who's only pleasure in life was murder, rape, and murder.

Just stop thinking about it.... She knew what she was getting into, you couldn't change anything. Samu thought to himself as the coast grew closer and closer. As soon as he was on land, he had to find a vehicle and get the hell out of here...

Carmen Dominguez

Carmen just couldn't take it. She reached her arm around and pulled Riley closer to her.

"I'm sorry. Just don't listen to them, their assholes. I'm not going anywhere, alright?" Carmen said, God she was terrible at this sort of stuff.

"Don't lie. I overheard Mr. Stryker talking. He said he was planning on sending you out at first chance. Every time he sends someone out, they come back different. They don't have time for me. They don't have time for anyone except themselves. And I have to live with it. I can tell you how many people I helped, and each and every one of them forgot about me." Riley sniffled.

"I'm not like everyone else, if you haven't caught on yet." Carmen said. What did she mean that She was being sent out? Carmen continued to hold Riley for awhile before someone tapped her shoulder. She looked back to find Ann standing behind her.

"You need to come with me, now." She ordered. Carmen reluctantly let go of Riley and stood up following Ann out of the mess hall. Once outside everything was quiet.

"What is it?" Carmen asked.

"Jason wants you out on the ranges. Now. Better get going before he gets inpatient." Ann said. Carmen turned and began to walk away. "Hey, Wait a second..." Ann said. Carmen turned back around and faced Ann. "I just wanted to thank you, for what you did in there. People treat Riley like shit, and well, frankly your the first person to even relatively break that chain. I really appreciate what you did. And I want you to know that I'm going to try my hardest to get people to stop acting that way towards her. Your her only real friend here, she trusts you. You need to be a model to the rest. I'm going to talk with Jason about this, and if he doesn't change anything then I will." She said. "Now, get going."

Elias Greene

"Are you fucking kidding me? A child, trying to join the army? Who do you think we are?" Corporal Johnson asked.

"I, uh... Dixon sent me." Elias stuttered.

"Dixon, eh? That idiots going to get us all killed. " Johnson said, then turned his attention to the rest of the crowd amassed before him.

"Alright! Everybody listen up! I'm only going to say this one time. Each of you here have recognized the necessity of putting your life at risk so others might live. We thank you for that. That being said, only around ten percent of you will be put into actual combat positions. The rest of you will be put in non combat roles such as mechanics, cooks, computer techs. So on and so forth. Each of you here will now be treated as if you were in the Military. You each will receive daily schedules, your time will not be spent sitting around idly. Every second we waste is another man, woman, or child that dies, Understood?" Johnson asked.

"Sir, yes sir!" The crowd roared together.

"Good. Now, I'm going to read off a list of names. If your name is called go with Second Lieutenant Sandburg." Johnson said motioning to a woman standing to his left. He began rattling names off the list one by one and Elias waited for his name to be called.

That's it for now, hope you liked it.

• Thank you.

My deepest condolences and best wishes to you and your family. Take all the time you need.

• Thanks.

Lord_EAA posted: »

My condolences. No need to be sorry bro

• Thanks Super.

supersagig posted: »

I am deeply sorry for your loss and for yout family. I am not someone to tell you what to do , so you should do whatever you feel more like.

• Don't mention it. Ill always be here for my friends.

Thanks.

• Cool Chapter!

• Yoi shouldn´t thanks me. I am a terrible person. I should thank you fir being here

Thanks Super.

• That's a lie. You are a great person, and I am truly greatful of your friendship.

Yoi shouldn´t thanks me. I am a terrible person. I should thank you fir being here

• Thanks!

Cool Chapter!

• You have my condolences. I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

• Thanks Hope.

NoHopeLeft posted: »

You have my condolences. I'm terribly sorry for your loss.

• Thank yoy , but really i am a terrible person in reality.

Anyways i know your step-grandpa must have been a great person and i gove my condolencies again

That's a lie. You are a great person, and I am truly greatful of your friendship.

• I think your being a little hard on yourself. In life everyone will have their short comings, everyone will fall, everyone will do something wrong. Its just a fact, I don't know you outside the forums, but I can tell what your saying is a gigantic overstatement. You are not a terrible person, no matter what anyone else says, you are you. You are unique, special, and gifted, in a way that no other can be. You are not a terrible person. And I'm sure everyone else her agrees with me on this.

Thank yoy , but really i am a terrible person in reality. Anyways i know your step-grandpa must have been a great person and i gove my condolencies again

• Didn't see this until now. My grandfather passed away 3 years ago and I had some really hard time dealing with that because he was close to me. Just take all the time you need, we will always be here for you.

• Thank you. And I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

finlander posted: »

Didn't see this until now. My grandfather passed away 3 years ago and I had some really hard time dealing with that because he was close to me. Just take all the time you need, we will always be here for you.

• Robert Thomas

The dust slowly drifted through the light as Robert opened his eyes. He sat up out of his bed and looked in the mirror. HIs own reflection stared back at him, his messy black hair and his rugged beard. At first he thought about combing his hair down then decided not to, its not like anyone else is going to see him today. Not that he cared what they had to think anyways. He opened his dresser and pulled out a random pair of blue jeans and a nice flannel shirt. Good enough... After he was done changing he walked out into the kitchen and sat down at the table near his window. Yes, it was just another lovely day in Texas. And it was going to be a hot one. Maybe a flannel wasn't the best choice... After his small breakfast Robert walked to the front door of his house, stepping out onto his front porch. Nothing seemed out of place. His entire property was maintained daily by him and some other farmhands. They were usually here by now. They must be in the barn. He began walking to his barn, it wasn't far from his house thankfully. But as he approached he noticed something odd. The door was open. He hadn't left the door open last night, had he? As he approached the side of the barn he noticed one of the farmhand's trucks parked on the side, nothing new except the cab door was left open, making a very irritating sound. He walked up to the truck and slammed the door shut, Heavens sake that noise in annoying. After closing the door he stepped back and noticed something new. The side of the door had a large dent in it. What the fuck hit him? A damn deer? Shame, he'd just bought this truck. To bad for him. After examining the dent Robert circled back to the front door and walked in. As usual it was dark inside, but there was enough light to see. Nothing was missing, all of his tractors were in place, tools, equipment. Now, where the hell are all my workers? He walked towards the back of the barn until he heard talking.

"How many more of you are there?" An unfamiliar voice asked. Robert crouched behind the wheel of a tractor and gazed from the direction of where the sound came from. Finally, he found his workers... Just not how he wanted to. The were on their knees with their hands tied behind them. Multiple other men stood around aiming guns at them.

"O-Only one more, man. The owner of the ranch... He's in the house. Fuck, don't hurt me man." One of his workers said. James was his name?

"Alright, on me. Search the house. If we find out your lying, you are going to wish you were never born." One of the armed men said. Shit, my guns in the house. I can slip out the back and beat them there, then try and kick their asses. Or I could stay here, when they leave I could just get my workers and run... But that would mean giving up all my land and all I worked for... My father and his father before... This was their land. This is my land. I aint going to let no jackass with a peashooter take my land... Am I?

Choice

[Go to the house get a gun]

[free the workers and run]

• [free the workers and run]

I feel like going into the house will just spell trouble. Whereas freeing the workers and getting the fuck outta there is a more favorable option.

Great chapter, Quality! I'm gonna try to submit a character soon, I've been putting it off for far too long :3

Robert Thomas The dust slowly drifted through the light as Robert opened his eyes. He sat up out of his bed and looked in the mirror. HIs

• Thanks! And as a small request, could you try and put your character/s in Texas or Virginia, or both. I'm going to need more characters in these locations for a more... Interesting... Sub-plot.

[free the workers and run] I feel like going into the house will just spell trouble. Whereas freeing the workers and getting the fuck out

• I'll try to aim for Texas :)

Thanks! And as a small request, could you try and put your character/s in Texas or Virginia, or both. I'm going to need more characters in these locations for a more... Interesting... Sub-plot.

• Thanks, and like I said. Feel free to submit as many characters as you want... This is a war after all, people are going to die. Not yet, but soon. This is still more of the exposition phase.

I'll try to aim for Texas

I agree with Hope here

Robert Thomas The dust slowly drifted through the light as Robert opened his eyes. He sat up out of his bed and looked in the mirror. HIs

• I've submitted my character, Dillon, I hope he works :3

Thanks, and like I said. Feel free to submit as many characters as you want... This is a war after all, people are going to die. Not yet, but soon. This is still more of the exposition phase.

• looks great. I'll put him to great use.

I've submitted my character, Dillon, I hope he works

• Awesome sauce!

looks great. I'll put him to great use.

• [Go to the house get a gun]

Awesome chapter and I think the ranch can be helpful to provide food to the resistance. Plus it's his home I wouldn't just leave my home behind without a fight.

• Robert Thomas

As much as he hated to admit it, this was no time for heroics. He picked up a pitchfork that was laying against the tractor's tire, what it was doing there Robert had no clue. These idiots he had working for him were just flat out morons. But they were his morons, and he wasn't going to leave them behind. He slowly crept forward out from behind his cover behind the tractor and moved towards the workers. James seemed to take notice of his presence.

"One more." He mouthed, nodding his head to his left. Robert looked over and saw a man leaning against one of the wooden support beams that held up the barn.

"Distract him." Robert mouthed back. James understood and instantly doubled over screaming. The guard jumped up and quickly walked over to him.

"What the fuck happened? You aint hurt." He said picking James up off the ground and examining him.

"No, I'm not hurt. But you are." James said.

"What? Ah, fuck you. Wha-" The guard stopped mid-sentence as Robert jabbed the pitchfork into his upper back. The man crumpled to the floor in pain and rolled onto his back facing Robert. "You stabbed me... You fucking stabbed me!" The man said, pawing at the ground in pain.

"Who the fuck are you people." Robert demanded. After the man didn't answer, Robert poised the pitchfork to strike again. "Tell me now."

"The Network lives again." The man croaked. Robert blanked out for a moment. The network? But how...

"No... No the network is gone. Dead. All of them." Robert said.

"Think again, fucking first-world piece of shit. Were going to kill Every. Last. One. Of you." He said.

"No. I wont let that happen. The world has lived in fear of you fucks once. And it aint gonna happen again." Robert said.

"I'd like to see you try. You aint shit. This country aint shit. We already have- " The mans sentence turned into a gurgle as Robert jabbed the pitchfork into his throat. His eyes widened and he gasped for air and gurgled the blood. Robert forced himself to look away. He didn't want to see what he'd done.

"Robert... You just... Killed that guy!" James yelled. Robert pulled the guards knife off and held it in his hand, contemplating for a moment. Then he cut James' bindings. He handed James the knife.

"Cut the others free and were getting out of here." Robert ordered. James quickly obeyed. Robert looked over the now dead solider. He was laying on top of his gun. Yeah, these guys aren't regular military. This guy was carrying a Lever action rifle. Not a bad gun, but not something the military would use.

"Lets go!" James yelled, snapping Robert back to reality. He saw all the workers running out the front and followed them until he was outside. His truck sat in front of his house, luckily it had the keys in it. He cranked the engine, which whined but eventually started, and then floored it. He sped down the drive way and didn't look back. He didn't want to look back. Even if he did all he would see was the dust being kicked up by the truck. Where the hell do I go now? He thought.

Lucia Martinez

"Name." A harsh woman's voice said.

"L-Lucia... Lucia Martinez. Who are you?" Lucia asked.

"I'll do the questioning. How old are you?" The woman continued.

"Seventeen." Lucia answered.

"What is your relation to the other girl in the vehicle with you?" The Woman asked.

"She's my girlfriend... We were coming here to find her uncle." Lucia said.

"Where did you come from?" The woman asked.

"New York city." Lucia answered.

"Damn. I heard about what happened to that place, how did you survive? Did you escape after being caught or what?" The woman asked, with a sudden change in her tone.

"They were gunning everyone down. We would've died, but Baileys father pushed us into the ditch before they shot us." Lucia said.

"Sorry to hear that... You said your girlfriend had relatives here in Brooklyn?" The woman asked.

"Yes. Her uncle. Before her father died, he told us to come here." Lucia said.

"Are you Fed or Network?" The woman asked.

"What?" Lucia asked.

"Who do you support in the war? The US or the Network?" The woman asked.

"Well. The Network just killed hundreds of unarmed civilians and took the rest of my family captive... I guess I support the US." Lucia said.

"Good answer. Once your girlfriend is done, we'll release you to the holding cells where you will remain until further notice." The woman said.

"Further notice?" Lucia asked.

"Yeah, until we've determined you aren't any harm to this refugee camp, or until a relative comes and vouches for you. We'll count your girlfriend's uncle as a relative for this circumstance, seeing as you told me the rest of your family was captured or killed." The woman said. Suddenly the door opened and a man wearing a suit walked in.

"Edwards is finished, he said she's clean." He said.

"Same. Take them to the holding cells." The woman said. Lucia felt a hand lifting her out of the chair she was sitting in and steering her towards the door. Once she was in the hallway she found Bailey. She was standing alone and crying, although she was trying to hide it. Lucia walked over to her and wrapped her arms around her.

"what happened?" Lucia asked. But Bailey didn't say anything, she refused to even meet her eyes.

"I've heard Edwards is a tough interrogator. He probably just stepped over the line, he tends to do that to new people. I haven't ever heard any details about his techniques, but I guess being interrogated just isn't something you talk about over lunch. That would be a little strange, 'Hey, you remember that time I got interrogated by Edwards?' " The man said, and then laughed at his own stupid joke. "Yeah. I guess it wasn't funny, I'll talk to him about letting up on the newbies. But he probably wont listen to me. I'm new here to, they just gave me the job because my grandfather was the police chief here.My name's Mike by the way." He said.

"Lucia." Lucia said. "And this is Bailey."

"Its nice to meet you two. Trust me, the holding cells aren't as bad as you'd think. You'll only spend about a day down here since you have relatives. " Mike said as he opened a door and ushered the two in before following. Inside was row after row of jail cells.

"This place is huge." Lucia said.

"Yeah, its the Brooklyn metropolitan detention center. Its pretty fucking huge, although mostly empty now. Most of the criminals escaped during the attack, and those who didn't stay here in their cells, but anyways..." He stopped at an empty cell and opened it. "Lucia, this will be your room for the night, Bailey you'll be the next one down." Mike said

"But," Lucia began.

"I know. You two want to be together, but its policy to separate everyone that comes in. It makes it less likely to have a revolt. Trust me, we even separate kids from their own parents... Wait... I didn't mean it like that, were not bad people... were just, uh... Cautious people. Very cautious." Mike said. Lucia just looked at him. "I cant change the rules. Now, get in there. Its only for the night." Mike said. Seeing no other options Lucia sulked into the cell and mike slowly closed and locked it behind her. She heard the sound of another cell door opening and closing then saw Mike walk past her cell. "I'll see you in the morning." He said, then walked out of the cell block leaving Lucia alone, listening to the sobs of Bailey, unable to help her, unable to comfort her. The only refuge she had was staring at the concrete wall that separated them. Exhausted of the day, Lucia fell back onto her bed. She thought sleep would never come, but much to her displeasure it did. All she saw in her dreams were the faces of those dead people in that ditch and the look on Baileys dads face as he was shot... Or what was happening to her family right now. They could be dead, injured, enslaved, or worse. Her unconscious mind raced to plague her sleep with horridly vivid accounts of what could be happening to her family right now. "Lucia..." They called to her. "Lucia.." Their faces flashed into her vision and she suddenly awoke with a gasp.

"Lucia... Are you awake?" A hushed voice called from outside her cell. "I need to talk to you if your awake." The voice... It was Mike's. And why would he have to talk to her right now? Couldn't it just wait until morning?

Choice

[Talk with Mike]

[Wait until morning]

• [Talk with Mike] Awesome

Robert Thomas As much as he hated to admit it, this was no time for heroics. He picked up a pitchfork that was laying against the tractor

• Thanks!

[Talk with Mike] Awesome

• edited April 2015

Talo To Mike

Awesome Chapter

Robert Thomas As much as he hated to admit it, this was no time for heroics. He picked up a pitchfork that was laying against the tractor

• [Talk with Mike]

• [Talk with Mike]

• [Talk with Mike]

This just keeps getting better.

• [Talk with Mike]

• Carmen Dominguez

Heavens sake, training was hard. Carmen was a bit late but they decided to let it slide this time, mostly because she had been with Mr. Stryker at the firing range. He seemed impressed with her marksmanship, he said it reminded him of his last trainee. Basic training sucks. There's no other way to put it. It just flat out sucks. Carmen's legs, arms, and chest burned like hell. They spared no expense trying to make sure they had the best of the best doing the training. It took all the strength Carmen had to not reach out and hit the drill sergeant, but she managed not to. But now, as the late afternoon sun slowly disappeared below the watchtowers of Stryker crop. Carmen slowly trudged back to the barracks, slightly trailing behind most of the others and dragging her feet as she walked.

"Hell of a first day, huh?" Ann sarcastically said, as she walked up next to her. Ann hadn't participated in training, no, she was just supervising.

"I feel like shit." Carmen answered.

"You look like shit. Ryan gave you hell in the ring." Ann said. Oh yeah, Ryan. She'd almost forgotten about that. Part of today's training was a one-on-one boxing match with a seven foot, six inch, 220 pound Lieutenant Colonel named Ryan, who seemed to have a beef with everyone. But mostly Carmen in particular, since he called her out, and obviously held no bars. Luckily, the bleeding stopped relatively quickly and she still had all her teeth, which was a plus.

"Your not looking to hot yourself. If I recall correctly, you spent most of training in the bathroom." Carmen said.

"I think it was something they had at lunch earlier, I've never been that sick in my life." Ann said.

"I never knew a human could throw up that much." Camren said.

"I didn't either, but I guess you learn something new every day." Ann sarcastically remarked.

"How much further?" Carmen asked.

"About a mile and a half. You want me to carry you the rest of the way?" Ann said, maintaining a straight face.

"Your kidding right? Its not a fucking mile is it?" Carmen asked.

"No. That's it right there." Ann said, pointing to a familiar looking building on the left side of the road.

"Home, sweet home." Carmen said.

"Pretty much. Which reminds me, you've never said anything about who you are or where you're from, whats up with that?" Ann asked, This comment made Carmen's stomach sink.

"Because I cant remember where I'm from or who I am. All I remember is a grenade in an alleyway of Los Angeles." Carmen said solemnly, which drastically changed the mood of the conversation.

"I- I'm sorry I asked. That has to be hard." Ann said.

"I don't know anymore, I keep trying to remember but all I get is a bunch of random faces with no names, and it makes me feel more alone that I really am. But in the same sense, the more I think about it, the more I'm able to let go. After a little while, it just... Quit hurting, you know?" Carmen said.

"But still, it can be easy. I do not envy your position." Ann said. She knitted her brow and narrowed her eyes.

"How old are you?" Carmen suddenly asked.

"What?" Ann said, since the abruptness of this question caught her off guard. "Oh, I'm... Thirty." She answered after thinking about it for a moment.

"Thirty? Hmph." Carmen said.

"What?" Ann asked.

"Nothing. It was just changing the subject. That's all." Carmen said.

"Do you remember how old you are?" Ann asked cautiously.

"Yes. I'm twenty-nine." Carmen proclaimed.

"Hmph." Ann said. Suddenly a sound filled the valley. Carmen instantly knew what it was, a helicopter. Dust swirled around her as the helicopter flew low overhead.

"What are they doing?" Carmen asked.

"I don't know. All I heard was there were a few new contracts coming in, these must be representatives. I'm sure we'll hear about it tomorrow." Ann said as she walked up the stone steps and into the barracks, with Carmen close behind.

"All right everyone, light out in five!" Ann proclaimed as she stepped in. She then turned back to Carmen, "Talk to you in the morning." She said as she sat down on her bed, surveying the room. Carmen continued to walk to the back of the barracks, past many empty beds until she was in the very back with no one around. She flopped down onto the bed and laid face down until she heard some one entering the barracks. She turned over on her side and saw a man walk in.

"Matt, are you drunk? This is the women's barracks." Ann said, but Matt just ignored her and continued walking. He stopped in about the middle of the room, turning toward a small figure. Riley.

"Hey, Rye... I was kind of a douche today, and I wanted to say I was sorry. It wont happen again, are we alright?" Matt said in a soft tone. Riley didn't say anything but nodded her head. Matt seemed satisfied with this response and continued walking towards Carmen. As he approached Carmen noticed the multiple new bruises and an ugly new scar on his face.

"What the hell happened to you?" Carmen asked

"Reality happened. I was living in my own little fantasy world, and I guess it took a good beating to bring me back. I just wanted to make sure we were alright?" Matt said, extending his hand to Carmen. Did it seriously come to this? This guy was such an ass that he had to get beat up, just so he'd apologize to a little girl? But then again... Everyone here has a story, everyone's been through something, what if he's actually changed? But then again, it doesn't seem like its the first time this has happened. Carmen looked past Matt to Ann, she was standing looking in their direction with a half confused, half disapproving look on her face. "Were cool, right?" Matt asked.

Choice

[Yeah, were cool.]

[I wont forget what you did. You were Way out of line.]

• [Yeah, were cool.]

Guess it can't hurt being on his good side. They are allies after all, there's no place for petty grudges.

Carmen Dominguez Heavens sake, training was hard. Carmen was a bit late but they decided to let it slide this time, mostly because she ha

• [I wont forget what you did. You were Way out of line.]

Carmen Dominguez Heavens sake, training was hard. Carmen was a bit late but they decided to let it slide this time, mostly because she ha

Sign in to comment in this discussion.